The Brakes Broke the Bank!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: The Brakes Broke the Bank!

I am late coming into this game but I had the "Service Brake System" start popping up about two months ago randomly when I started my car. I could turn the car off and open the door to let all the electronics turn off then start the car again and most of the time the lights would not appear again. I took it to my local mechanic and he said the computer didn't show anything. However, last week it wouldn't go off. This time I decided to take it to the dealership. I was floored when they told me the Hydraulic Control Unit needed to be replaced and it would be $4300. My "baby" has a little over 150K miles so I'm debating on what to do. Really can't afford the $4300 but then again can't afford a new car payment either. I too called Ford and they told me there are no recalls or safety briefings for this. I was told by the dealership that I absolutely cannot drive my car until it is repaired because my breaks will go out...I do believe that would be a major safety issue!! I am highly dissatisfied with Ford at the moment and cannot believe they have done nothing even after all the customers that are having this issue.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maccassie
I am late coming into this game but I had the "Service Brake System" start popping up about two months ago randomly when I started my car. I could turn the car off and open the door to let all the electronics turn off then start the car again and most of the time the lights would not appear again. I took it to my local mechanic and he said the computer didn't show anything. However, last week it wouldn't go off. This time I decided to take it to the dealership. I was floored when they told me the Hydraulic Control Unit needed to be replaced and it would be $4300. My "baby" has a little over 150K miles so I'm debating on what to do. Really can't afford the $4300 but then again can't afford a new car payment either. I too called Ford and they told me there are no recalls or safety briefings for this. I was told by the dealership that I absolutely cannot drive my car until it is repaired because my breaks will go out...I do believe that would be a major safety issue!! I am highly dissatisfied with Ford at the moment and cannot believe they have done nothing even after all the customers that are having this issue.
You can pick up a used HCU from salvage yards fairly cheap. Odds that it would also be bad are very low I would think. Less than 1/10th the cost and installation shouldn't be that much.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Finding a used HCU won't be the problem. Finding an independent mechanic that has the tools and experience to replace the HCU maybe difficult. I suspect that no Ford dealership will install a used part, although maybe they will for an hourly rate.

I would start by finding a mechanic or shop that can handle this repair, then start looking for the part.

Last edited by econoline; 06-24-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:01 AM
New Enthusiast

Experiencing similar problem on my 2005 FEH. w 73K.

Had the ABS, BRAKE warning indicators and Service Brake System LED come on the panel at a stop light. I did not experience Fail Safe braking. The first symptom before I had these warning indicators was the sound the HCU makes (see link below). If you have this vehicle, as mentioned, it is a very distinctive sound. In my case the HCU began making a loud grinding sound 1/2 through the normal activation. I noted this last week. The next event was at a stop light, brakes on, the HCU grinding noise began and the lights came on. Took it to the dealership, braking seems a little off, like it was catching not smooth. They scanned it, cleared the codes and returned the vehicle to me. Here is where I am with them:

CUSTOMER STATES BRAKE LIGHTS ON. ABS TEST ON DEMAND PASS - CLEAR CODE C1313 C1478 C1480. FOLLOWING WSM CUSTOMER INSTRUCTED TO DRIVE VEHICLE AND IF CODES RETURN NEEDS ABS MODULE AND HCU UNIT. ROAD TEST 22 MILES INSPECT FOR HYDRAULIC FUILD LEAK NONE FOUND.

$6000 estimate.

I took the vehicle home, and 2 hours later the lights came back on while stopped foot on the brakes. Turned off vehicle. When I returned, lights were reset and off. Taking the FEH back in on Tuesday. I have an extended AAA warranty. My fingers are crossed.

I have recorded the sound of the failing HCU, I can post it if there is such a place here for files or embedding a youtube. Here is the link.

Last edited by dbeaty2; 08-31-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:48 AM
New Enthusiast

The warnings came back about 3 hours after retrieving the Escape from the service bay.

I returned to the dealership the next day with the same warning indicators and the sound of a failing HCU (see previous video, my brakes still work and are not in fail safe, but I'm nervous) .

My service adviser explained that the HCU would cost $4300. The labor and APU was around $1000 for about $5500 estimate. No mention of master cylinder. He took my after market warranty and told me I would be covered and get a loaner. That really relaxed me a lot. I mean without it I would be in the same position of many, a repair that's worth almost the cost of the car.

The warranty company sourced their own part, but due to a shipping delay it took 9 days for the part to arrive and I have the loaner 10 days.

Total cost to me: $100 for a brake line that was clogged and not covered.

If at all possible I HIGHLY recommend you have your 2005 escape covered by an aftermarket warranty before you hit 100,000. Mine cost around $2500. I recommend talking to AAA about one.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbeaty2
...If at all possible I HIGHLY recommend you have your 2005 escape covered by an aftermarket warranty before you hit 100,000. Mine cost around $2500. I recommend talking to AAA about one.
I recommend going with a Ford Factory Extended Warranty: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...r/Page/ESPPage

And cool enough, you can actually shop around various dealerships around the country to find the best price on whichever warranty you choose. I'll repeat that, as it's a very important point -- the same Ford warranty resold at one dealership can be very differently priced than another dealership elsewhere in the country. It's just like shopping for auto parts.

More times than not, 3rd party warranties are crap and don't even need to use factory, or even new, parts to replace your bad parts. Many 3rd party warranties are allowed to use salvage yard parts too. No thanks.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by 84GT Ragtop
I recommend going with a Ford Factory Extended Warranty: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...r/Page/ESPPage

And cool enough, you can actually shop around various dealerships around the country to find the best price on whichever warranty you choose. I'll repeat that, as it's a very important point -- the same Ford warranty resold at one dealership can be very differently priced than another dealership elsewhere in the country. It's just like shopping for auto parts.

More times than not, 3rd party warranties are crap and don't even need to use factory, or even new, parts to replace your bad parts. Many 3rd party warranties are allowed to use salvage yard parts too. No thanks.

The Ford warranty is not available if your warranty (ies) have expired. AAA's warranty is.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
The Ford warranty is not available if your warranty (ies) have expired. AAA's warranty is.
I spoke with a Ford rep about this. He said that if your current extended warranty is more than 80% up, the rates go up. If I understood him correctly, he also said one can get the ESP after the original warranty expires, but you have to have the car inspected by a Ford dealer. I'm sure it would be a higher price.

I plan to renew my extended ESP when I get near the 80% mark on my current ESP.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GatorJ
That's not correct. You can indeed get a Ford extended warranty through any dealership that sells one for any Ford that doesn't have a warranty, but as stevdbi stated just above a dealership will need to inspect it first.

That makes makes sense, because otherwise Ford could be on the hook for any owner's unscrupulous behavior, like say if I have a blown tranny, dupe Ford into warrantying my car, then immediately turn around and warranty-claim a tranny repair. Ford would lose their butts pretty quick.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by 84GT Ragtop
That's not correct. You can indeed get a Ford extended warranty through any dealership that sells one for any Ford that doesn't have a warranty, but as stevdbi stated just above a dealership will need to inspect it first.

That makes makes sense, because otherwise Ford could be on the hook for any owner's unscrupulous behavior, like say if I have a blown tranny, dupe Ford into warrantying my car, then immediately turn around and warranty-claim a tranny repair. Ford would lose their butts pretty quick.

That's not what my dealer is telling me. Perhaps it's a state by state thing. I know the same Ford warranty is FAR more expensive for Florida residents than for other states...Indiana, for example.

Last edited by GatorJ; 09-21-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: The Brakes Broke the Bank!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands