The Brakes Broke the Bank!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 07:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: The Brakes Broke the Bank!

As for changing the brake fluid, I let Big O do it for $100.00, they had a pressurized system that pushed it out equally. They also changed the brake lines for approx. $250.00. Stealership wanted $300.00 for JUST the fluid flush because they said it was a two person job however, stealership refused because they wanted to put a new HCU on it first. I digress, there are threads on here explaining this process, I personally have no clue. Imo I would stay with the recommended fluid, someone else may have other thoughts. I have also seen where others in here have placed a heat plate next to the HCU without success. If in fact your hose lines are the problem, this alone should resolve your issue. I have not had any problems since the hose lines were changed and the fluid flushed...minus the deer that ran into my side panel one week after, LOL. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2019, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

I'll check around to see who might be qualified to do the bleed / replace lines... I normally do all work on cars myself, but this time I don't want to mess around with reservoir running out of fluid causing more issues when changing those lines...

Thanks for the advice!

Davey

Old 02-25-2019, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast

Oh what a difference... brake lines replaced this morning. Brakes let off like brakes should... so far no error messages, and the pump hasn't sounded loud and cranky again yet... Will update in days, weeks, months... years?

Davey

Old 02-26-2019, 06:40 AM
Enthusiast

So happy to hear this, we FEH owners must keep watching out for one another. Did you do it yourself? Please do report in as you progress.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast

Best 300 we ever spent. I called a local trusted shop and asked if they would be willing to just do lines and a full flush... they quoted me 295, with tax on the parts was 306... I MAY dig into these brakes again when / if I have to again in the future...

But a couple notes about the problem and the people having this problem.

Many of them noted that they lost brakes almost completely when the error message came up.

If this is the case, MAYBE it's because with bad lines the fluid is ineffective at pushing the calipers successfully based on condition of the hoses expanding...

I know some of the users said their cars were quite new when this happened... I can't explain why hoses would go bad so soon, but in Florida heat, I can see why the engine compartment would be so hot it could make the lines break down, or the fluid boil...

I guess the tell tale symptom for me was the fact that the brakes did NOT release very well and made that tell tale noise of brakes not releasing... I've had it happen on motorhomes and vans, but not something so small...

Will keep you all updated!

Davey

Old 02-26-2019, 03:16 PM
Enthusiast

You got a good deal, your mechanic didn't ream you for the flush...Ford would have. I actually lost brakes the first time, stood on them to get the car to stop and had it happen a few more times during the chase of the problem. The symptoms and behavior of the car were not consistent when the dreaded dashboard would light up. Even the dashboard lights weren't consistent. I would clear the codes and everything was normal again, initially a re-start would solve it temporarily. I fought this problem for nearly 8 months, there are several reasons (outside of the HCU) that will cause this behavior. I tried them all before getting to the brake lines and it was another member here that shared his brake story, which in turn saved my car. It was my last ditch effort, very thankful for this site and its members, the least I can do is to pay it forward.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:05 AM
Enthusiast

I recommend anyone with a Ford Hybrid that has had the HCU fail to contact NHTSA. The more that contact them the more likely the agency will initiate an investigation and hopefully get a recall. The cost quoted me for the HCU was $7500 by a local ford dealer. also, they have had the car for 7 weeks and can't get the brakes to bleed.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ford Escape Hybrid.pdf (229.1 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by rvalentine48; 07-10-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:15 PM
Enthusiast

Mine is fixed and it had nothing to do with the HCU. Curious, have you had the brake lines changed out? This was my problem, brake lines collapsing and throwing all the HCU codes when it wasn't the HCU at all. Could also explain why yours won't bleed. Two stealerships pushing a new HCU, both stating they had checked the brake lines which was a lie! Big O found the problem in 15 minutes and fixed. 9 months and zero problems.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:07 AM
Enthusiast

Hi I am having the same issue with 107k miles I work in DC and live in Delaware. My name is jason care to text or chat? I'm up Ford corps *** about it and super pissed. Im going to contact NHSTA aswell . How can a part cost more than a car?
Sincerely
Brake Check

Old 09-27-2019, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jason8899
Hi I am having the same issue with 107k miles I work in DC and live in Delaware. My name is jason care to text or chat? I'm up Ford corps *** about it and super pissed. Im going to contact NHSTA aswell . How can a part cost more than a car?
Sincerely
Brake Check
Give me a call 859 254 4762 , ask for Jim . Good luck!

Quick Reply: The Brakes Broke the Bank!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands