Breaking the estimated MPG on SUV's

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Breaking the estimated MPG on SUV's

I've owned my Mazda Tribute Hybrid for about 8 months and have been averaging 31 MPG. Which I though was wierd since the SUV is rate up to 34 MPG. Well Since taking the advice of other Hybrid owners I'v adopted the practice of never going over 65 MPH and averaging 60 MPH.
Well Since doing this I've brought my estimated MPG up to 36-MPG!!! impressive to say, it does suck to drive slow on the highway but with gas prices climbing again I'll do what must be done to save!

Danoby

Old 04-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Breaking the estimated MPG on SUV's

Driving speed does make a big difference, next to wind, to which I think the limit minus 10% is a good option, and not too slow for the rest of the traffic. Driving about 60 in a 65 would seem to be fine, and should not feel too slow either. My best tank was at about 61, and I got over 38 mpg!

Old 04-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

I will be coming up on my 1 year with my FEH. I quickly started driving slower. Here in Texas where F-350 4X4 s are the norm I have lately noticed several cars and truck driving 55-60 mph in 70 mph zones. I also kinda mellowed an enjoy driving again. Relax enjoy the drive. Took the latest gas price increase in stride, I'm getting over 32 mpg so no worries.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast

Nitrogen in your tires: an inflated idea?

I've heard filling your tires with the gas instead of air will help keep correct pressure and better gas mileage. Has anyone done this yet to their Hybrid???

Old 04-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Nitrogen will make no measurable difference. Air is about 80% nitrogen already. The properties of nitrogen vs. air are very similar for normal situations. Racing cars use nitrogen to get a slightly more uniform pressure at the very high temperatures experienced at high speed but street cars don't see those temperatures.

One advantage is less deterioration from moisture and oxidation, but the tire manufacturers say that this is unnecessary for tires under normal service. Nitrogen is used in airplane tires that may be in use for many, many years and see extreme temperature differences.

Another supposed advantage is that nitrogen loses pressure slower. Consumers Report tested this and found it was true. But the nitrogen tires lost only about 1 less PSI per year. Hardly a big deal.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenG
Nitrogen will make no measurable difference. Air is about 80% nitrogen already. The properties of nitrogen vs. air are very similar for normal situations. Racing cars use nitrogen to get a slightly more uniform pressure at the very high temperatures experienced at high speed but street cars don't see those temperatures.
Right. The reason for "dry" nitrogen in racing tires is that the residual water in the atmospheric air can dramatically raise the pressure if it turns to steam. Optimal racing tire temp is above 200F. Street tires don't get nearly that hot, even cruising in the desert.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

after researching this (I was chastised and he was right) nitrogen will do nothing. I also suspect this started because someone saw a race team using nitrogen in their tires and jumped to the conclusion that it was a tip/trick. The truth is they use nitrogen for their air power tools so its very handy to air up the tires also.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

After I posted above I did a little research and found that Consumers Reports actually tested this (I won't verify their test methods). They found that nitrogen filled tires actually did lose a little less pressure over time. The difference seemed to be about 1 PSI per year. Conclusion - Nitrogen might be a very slight advantage for someone who only checks their tire pressure every few years.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08kermit
Right. The reason for "dry" nitrogen in racing tires is that the residual water in the atmospheric air can dramatically raise the pressure if it turns to steam. Optimal racing tire temp is above 200F. Street tires don't get nearly that hot, even cruising in the desert.
OK, I hate to get all technical here but someone may be bothered by this. The problem with racing tires is the temperature range and air will cause a greater pressure change than nitrogen. However, the water in the air in the tire is not liquid at normal operating temperatures.

We're conditioned to think that water boils at 212 F (100C) but that is at atmospheric pressure. When water vapor is in air it "boils" (vaporizes) when it reaches it's vaporization temperature at its "partial pressure". That's why water "boils" and "condenses" at normal atmospheric temperatures. To avoid confusion, we call that "rain" and "evaporation". The water itself is at a portion of the atmospheric (or tire) pressure and it will vaporize when it reaches it's boiling point at that partial pressure. Same concept as humidity and dew point.

In short, you may have a bit of water in your tires when you first start going on a cold morning but that will quickly heat up and evaporate.

Last edited by KenG; 04-30-2008 at 06:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Greenie

It was just a new urban legend for Belle Tire to use to make a buck!!

Quick Reply: Breaking the estimated MPG on SUV's

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands