Buying a hybrid with almost 250k miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 12:08 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Buying a hybrid with almost 250k miles

I am looking at a 08 ford escape hybrid with almost 250k miles. The price is pretty good, I think I can make them come down too. I am thinking not many people are willing to buy one with so high of miles. Is there anything in particular I should look at before buying it. Also, what's the best way to get them down in price? It's been on the market a while and they've already dropped the price about 1000 so far.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buying a hybrid with almost 250k miles

Probably it means gambling that they won't find another buyer. The only way they will be convinced that they can't sell it for more than whatever you're offering, is for them to wait beyond their tolerance level of time to sell it. At any moment, someone else might buy it. The game is made even more complicated by the fact you can falsely claim you've found an alternative, and by them falsely claiming there is another buyer.

For you, it comes down to how badly you want it and what you're willing to pay. The less you want it, the less you can offer and then hold your ground, knowing you may lose it. As a friend said, you don't know what you'd have to pay for something until it's sold out from under you.

Probably you need to worry more about standard Escape things being worn out on it than the hybrid system itself. Hopefully there's some way you can verify what standard of maintenance it's had.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't have a huge need for it. I have one just like it. Mine has some deer damage, hail damage and rust, but about 80k fewer miles. If I don't get it for a song I can let it pass.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I would take a hard look at the brakes, undercarriage and suspension parts on this one. If they're all in good shape, the AC blows cold, and it readily goes in to EV mode, it could be a well maintained driver.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:26 AM
Cheapskate

In my opinion, the biggest risk on an Escape of that vintage is rust & corrosion, not the hybrid system. A good visual inspection is a must.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast

As a 4 year owner of a 2007 ford escape I recommend you do not buy it. With that mileage it has to be junk.