Buying a Used Ford Escape

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Buying a Used Ford Escape

Hello Green Hybrid community!

I've been reading a lot of topics on this forum about the FEH, and to be quite frank...they are fantastic! It has provided me with an easy decision of what SUV to get (8

I live in Florida, and for some reason, their stocks of used FEH are quite rare. I've been having a tough time finding a good variety of options.

http://www.web2carz.com/81276663/200...-cars/for-sale (already sold...it went quick haha. Gives me more time to research I suppose)

This is one that I have found, and nearly the only one around my area of Miami (the others are 4+ hours North). This fits just around my budget, and I was wondering what ya'll thought. I checked the car history and it doesn't seem to have had any sort of collisions except for the normal maintenance check-ups as well as a battery replacement. I hope to go test it out today, what may be some of the things I should check for?

I'm wondering if you think it'd be a waste of money to get a 2WD (this one) as opposed to a 4WD. I'd be basically taking this baby to the Everglades with me quite often, although I normally don't plan to take it into extreme swampy environments, but more of just rocky tough - semi-large ditched terrains.

Is there such a thing as a 4WD on the FEH or is it strictly AWD's? Is there a difference between this cars AWD as opposed to other SUV models?

Thank you!

Last edited by JZoSoPP; 10-13-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 10-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Buying a Used Ford Escape

There is no real 4wd, just AWD. I believe the computer can distribute traction between front and rear wheels, and it's normally FWD until it detects slippage. I have not tried any real OHV driving with mine, so I can't speak to it's capability.

I'd drive it long enough to check that the ICE will shut off for low speed driving once the ICE is warmed up. I'd ask if the Blend Door Actuator has been replaced.

A friend of mine bought an out of state car on EBay, and it worked out fine, so you might consider that. They hold the money in escrow until you're completely satisfied. She got several repairs done, and the seller agreed to split the cost.

I've only heard good things about buying from brokers, also. My FEH was broker-bought by the previous owner to me. You can usually beat local used owner-sold prices by 10-15%. A good idea, I think, when you want an uncommon car, as your broker can search nationally.

I put new rear shocks and brakes on mine (bought a shop manual and did it at home with my dad--dealer quoted $800) and have had $25k trouble-free miles since then.

good luck!
-e

Old 10-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Feral Engineer

IMHO AWD or 4WD is a waste for the usage you describe. The FWD is quite capable on rough roads and has the same ground clearance.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Miami, FL 2006 FEH

I live in Miami. I drive a '06 FEH. I just got it out of the shop for a Power Steering issue. You don't need an AWD in Florida. Check to see if you're truck has Low Rolling Resistance Tires - if not, take $600-$800 off the top of the price b/c you'll need them if you want to get the MPG that you're paying for. I drove around for the last 3 years without them. I didn't even know about the LRR tires until doing some tire research.

As for repairs, yes, it's an issue. Reach out to me and we'll talk more.
-sg

Old 10-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

As for your last question and "nitpicking", the 4wd/AWD system has been debated/discussed in the past with some heated remarks. The system moves between 2wd and 4wd function at all times. It never has 4wd function at all times. There is no switch to turn it on or off but pulling the fuse will disable it and leave a yellow warning on your dash.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Miami, FL 2006 FEH

Originally Posted by woodslanding
There is no real 4wd, just AWD. I believe the computer can distribute traction between front and rear wheels, and it's normally FWD until it detects slippage. I have not tried any real OHV driving with mine, so I can't speak to it's capability.

I'd drive it long enough to check that the ICE will shut off for low speed driving once the ICE is warmed up. I'd ask if the Blend Door Actuator has been replaced.

A friend of mine bought an out of state car on EBay, and it worked out fine, so you might consider that. They hold the money in escrow until you're completely satisfied. She got several repairs done, and the seller agreed to split the cost.

I've only heard good things about buying from brokers, also. My FEH was broker-bought by the previous owner to me. You can usually beat local used owner-sold prices by 10-15%. A good idea, I think, when you want an uncommon car, as your broker can search nationally.

I put new rear shocks and brakes on mine (bought a shop manual and did it at home with my dad--dealer quoted $800) and have had $25k trouble-free miles since then.

good luck!
-e
How much did you spend in total replacing rear shocks and brakes? Was it worth it?

Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk
As for your last question and "nitpicking", the 4wd/AWD system has been debated/discussed in the past with some heated remarks. The system moves between 2wd and 4wd function at all times. It never has 4wd function at all times. There is no switch to turn it on or off but pulling the fuse will disable it and leave a yellow warning on your dash.
I have my SG programmed to watch the 4WD. I've never seen it operate at highway speeds, although I suppose it could. I think the highest I've seen it run is at around 25 MPH.

The most interesting thing to me is that is always operates when pulling out from a stop, even when the weather is good. That is a lot different than other "AWD" systems I've owned, where the rear wheels only operate when the front wheels slip.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 AM

I'm in Florida and purchased an AWD FEH. I enjoy the security it provides when driving during our frequent rain storms on wet, slick roads. Also, and strictly in my opinion, but I think it looks far better from the rear not having that open space where the rear differential would otherwise be. Others are welcome to disagree, but these two factors make up for the fuel economy hit.

Last edited by GatorJ; 10-16-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
I'm in Florida and purchased an AWD FEH. I enjoy the security it provides when driving during our frequent rain storms on wet, slick roads. Also, and strictly in my opinion, but I thinks it looks far better from the rear not having that open space where the rear differential would otherwise be. Others are welcome to disagree, but these two factors make up for the fuel economy hit.
Having lived in South Florida for 4 years, I think that the AWD would be useful. The way they do their roads, using sea shells as part of the surface, makes it very slippery when it rains after a dry spell. It is part of the driver's training in Florida to watch out for this problem. People who haven't lived there don't realize how slick the roads get.

Certainly one can get by without it, but if AWD is available I would consider it.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Imported from Detroit

You guys are giving Ford's Unintelligent 4WD System too much credit. What "they" say the system does and what it really does are two different things. You got to really push it on snow to make it engage.

Remember, it engages every time you leave from a dead stop no matter what the road condition is.

Quick Reply: Buying a Used Ford Escape

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands