Buying a Used Ford Escape

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buying a Used Ford Escape

Originally Posted by wptski
You guys are giving Ford's Unintelligent 4WD System too much credit. What "they" say the system does and what it really does are two different things. You got to really push it on snow to make it engage.

Remember, it engages every time you leave from a dead stop no matter what the road condition is.

Can't comment on snow...Florida...but can comment on wet roads. I'll take the AWD.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:07 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Can't comment on snow...Florida...but can comment on wet roads. I'll take the AWD.
It's a placebo effect. If you had a ScanGuage II to monitor rear wheel torque you'd really see when it engages. It's more hype than fact.

Here's an interesting video comparing different systems including the Escape:

Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 AM
Cheapskate

It's a placebo effect. If you had a ScanGuage II to monitor rear wheel torque you'd really see when it engages.
I do have a ScanGaugeII and it's not placebo.

I don't think anyone's arguing that it's the most technically advanced AWD system available, but claiming it does nothing is just silly.

Here's an interesting video comparing different systems including the Escape:
What a surprise; a study commissioned by Subaru finds that it's the best!

I own 2 Subarus and like them a great deal. But that doesn't magically make the Ford AWD system useless.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:31 AM

You guys are giving Ford's Unintelligent 4WD System too much credit. What "they" say the system does and what it really does are two different things. You got to really push it on snow to make it engage.

Remember, it engages every time you leave from a dead stop no matter what the road condition is.
Yes, I mentioned that. I think it is designed to provide more traction when pulling out.

According to information on the Web (way back when it was new), it engages when in a turn, but I've not checked that out.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Yes, I mentioned that. I think it is designed to provide more traction when pulling out.

According to information on the Web (way back when it was new), it engages when in a turn, but I've not checked that out.
Yes, that's when you get more wheel spin.

Not sure about that but I think as long as you don't start from a dead stop, I'd say no.

I'm retired, get to pick my days to do shopping so I can avoid the bad weather. The only time I ever noticed rear wheel torque on a snowy road was when I was changing lanes and crossed over driving tracks in the snow. One doesn't look at the SG-II all the time so it could have kicked in at other times.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:39 AM

Yes, that's when you get more wheel spin.

Not sure about that but I think as long as you don't start from a dead stop, I'd say no.

I'm retired, get to pick my days to do shopping so I can avoid the bad weather. The only time I ever noticed rear wheel torque on a snowy road was when I was changing lanes and crossed over driving tracks in the snow. One doesn't look at the SG-II all the time so it could have kicked in at other times.
I came back from Yosemite one winter night (left the park at 2230). It was snowing and the roads had some snow. For some unknown (stupid) reason I went over the hill instead of taking the low road. I had the 4WD dialed into the SG II, and I was constantly using the 4WD. I never went more than 25 MPH that night. I was very glad I had both ABS and 4WD.

But Yosemite is a bit far from Florida!

Old 10-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Imported from Detroit

I came back from Yosemite one winter night (left the park at 2230). It was snowing and the roads had some snow. For some unknown (stupid) reason I went over the hill instead of taking the low road. I had the 4WD dialed into the SG II, and I was constantly using the 4WD. I never went more than 25 MPH that night. I was very glad I had both ABS and 4WD.

But Yosemite is a bit far from Florida!
How much were you seeing?

If you ever watch it on any other time from a dead stop, it does stay engaged, slowly dropping off as you reach a constant speed. Just a guess but if you were still under a uphill load, it might stay engaged.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:23 PM

How much were you seeing?

If you ever watch it on any other time from a dead stop, it does stay engaged, slowly dropping off as you reach a constant speed. Just a guess but if you were still under a uphill load, it might stay engaged.
It was being invoked to varying degrees all the way up and down the mountain; it was not a constant percentage on the SG. I could also feel the front wheels slipping a bit.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Cheapskate

It was being invoked to varying degrees all the way up and down the mountain; it was not a constant percentage on the SG. I could also feel the front wheels slipping a bit.
That's one impressive placebo you've got there!

Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by elborak
That's one impressive placebo you've got there!
I realize that many folks buy the SUV to haul family stuff & etc (and that is my primary use as well), but I've always thought that an SUV should have the ability to drive all four wheels (in some fashion or another). It just seems right for the platform.

Quick Reply: Buying a Used Ford Escape

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands