Buzzing/Clicking noise behind dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Buzzing/Clicking noise behind dash

I have had my 2008 Escape for almost 2 years and have had it in the dealer 4 different times for a clicking noise that comes and goes and seems to be behind the center cluster? I just left the local Ford dealer yesterday and same can't find hear anything. So I sat in the parking lot and started playing with buttons with the engine running. I very rapidly starting changing the temps up and down and the clicking started, at first it was slow then it started clicking on its own. I went in and got the service manager and had him listen. He said it is a problem with the auto sensor door in the dash. BUT he said there is no fix in the Ford database and they will get back to me....nothing yet.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast

Wait a second, are you talking about a motorized whirring sound and some clicks? Mine does that and I figured it was something engaging or disengaging. When I unlock it it does that, and sometimes when I first start to drive. about 5 minutes after I shut it off it does it again. I thought it was normal.
Steve

Old 02-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Steve, what you are talking about is the braking system pressurizing, slightly before/during start-up (or depressurizing after parking/shutdown). This IS normal but I don't think it's the same Darren is talking about.

I think his issue is more random and in a different general area. Darren?

Old 02-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have heard this clicking and other assorted noises with my 08, most notably after getting the driver AC blend door repaired when we could not get heat out of the driver side vents (top or bottom). While I can now get heat out of the system, it gets wonky when on auto as the cabin reaches set temp, the passenger side blows noticeably warmer air, and the driver side attempts to compensate (it appears to anyway) by blowing even cooler air, which then causes the passenger side to get even hotter. This happens even when the passenger temp adjustment is off. We found on a long trip it was best to set the passenger side about 3º cooler, but it always required occasional adjustments up or down, so eventually you go the manual route. I have not had a chance to take the vehicle back in to get this "fixed." I have a feeling the tech just needs to replace one or both of the blend doors, but we will see. The noises do appear to be in the center console and do not change with CD or AC use, but might possibly only occur after the AC/Heat system has been used at some point in the drive.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:30 AM
MrT
Enthusiast

Like I've mentioned above, it sounds like a hard drive or CD/DVD transport searching for something (like when they're about to fail). I came to the conclusion that it wasn't the changer at all. But I think the 'blend door' is probably right, assuming that's some sort of actuated damper on the vents back in the dash.

I haven't taken mine in yet.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast

I have an 08 and had the same noise. I took it in and of course, could not dup. Well I was sitting in the car and hear it again. I jumped out and (I think) figured it out. in my case, it was a small (3") black circular device right behind the radio on the passenger side. I have attached a picture.

My issue is the knocking, very random. When I touch this piece, I can feel it knocking. I haven't had a chance to take it in for repair, or even to identify the part. I'll keep you posted, I hope to get it in this week.

Attached Thumbnails Buzzing/Clicking noise behind dash-100_3576.jpg   Buzzing/Clicking noise behind dash-100_3577.jpg  
Old 02-28-2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by DVGreen
I have an 08 and had the same noise. I took it in and of course, could not dup. Well I was sitting in the car and hear it again. I jumped out and (I think) figured it out. in my case, it was a small (3") black circular device right behind the radio on the passenger side. I have attached a picture.

My issue is the knocking, very random. When I touch this piece, I can feel it knocking. I haven't had a chance to take it in for repair, or even to identify the part. I'll keep you posted, I hope to get it in this week.
I think you nailed it. I heard it again today, a freezing day, so using/changing heat settings & directions. My wife descibes it as coffee perking, to me sounds more like a fan tapping/ratteling, wobbeling. What's odd, the few short (less than 20-30secs) it didn't seem [brain dead moment, symetric] like a fan would make at a constant rpm, it was more random spaced. It definatly sounds like it's the bottom of the center console, pass side maybe, so like you say it seems it could be that part.
I'm sure it's something to do with the HVAC, blower, direction, something???

Maybe someone can finally get a fix, so the rest of us can go in and say "fix this part # or TSB#"

Old 02-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry, hard to say what it is without hearing, but maybe it's some relays that are kicking a fan or pump on?

Old 02-28-2009, 10:02 PM

Running with DVGreen's idea, I broke out the big green books (workshop manuals) and tried to figure out that that part is. Sadly I can't find a parts breakdown image. But it appears on pg 412-01-27 that it's a Climate Control Module. It appears to be at the bottom center of the dash. The book simply lists part # 19980, shows the whole 'box'.

Looking back at pg 412-01-67, it could be the LH temp blend door actuator part # 19E616. From the pic on that page it looks like it's pointing to the same thing.

Name:  412-01-67.jpg
Views: 10252
Size:  45.0 KB

Old 03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast

I have ( I think ) the same problem, most of the time I do not hear anything but I think it is because I play music and can't hear the noise, I am convinced it has something to do with AC/Heat on. If any one have more info what is it and/or fix is available please post it here.

THANKS

Quick Reply: Buzzing/Clicking noise behind dash

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands