A/C low speed v. high speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default A/C low speed v. high speed

In my 06 MMH, the AC is not working well at low speed or when stopped. No problem at constant, higher speed. Anyone notice the same thing? I don't want to go back to the dealership if this is a quirk of the model. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A/C low speed v. high speed

You don't state that you are using the Max AC setting, so I think it's safe to assume the standard mode, in which case the compressor shuts down any time the ICE shuts off. IMO, for the best comfort if it's not extremely hot, it's probably best to keep it on Max AC (which keeps the ICE and compressor running) to get the interior cooled down, then switch to the more economical AC mode when the demand is less.

Old 07-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, like snax said, whenever your tachometer drops to the green area, the air coming out of the vents is no longer going to be cooled. It will stay cool for maybe 30 seconds or so. This is because the gas engine runs the A/C compressor. If you are in max A/C mode, then you might have a problem that needs to be repaired.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just to beat the dying horse a little more - in a FEH when the gas engine is off the A/C is also turned off. If you want the AC on all the time, even when stopped at a light or in traffic, then you need to turn the dial to MAX A/C. My wife does this Although she is 36 wks pregant so I can't say anything about it

The downside to setting your A/C to MAX A/C (in a FEH) is that this setting will keep your gas engine on all the time, removing a significant portion of the benefit of being in a hybrid car.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kermie
Yeah, like snax said, whenever your tachometer drops to the green area, the air coming out of the vents is no longer going to be cooled. It will stay cool for maybe 30 seconds or so. This is because the gas engine runs the A/C compressor. If you are in max A/C mode, then you might have a problem that needs to be repaired.
Also in case its not clear, if you use recirculate mode, while the air will no longer be being actively cooled--at least you won't be sucking 100F air in instantly when the AC kicks off.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I don't know if there is an official TSB or not, but recently I took mine in because the A/C was not very cold. 1 or 2 others I know had this problem also.

Turns out when I showed up at the dealer, they knew exactly what was wrong, and what to do about it right away. They had the problem fixed and the car was returned to me in slightly more than 1 hour. I was very pleased, and have icy cold A/C now.

Turns out Ford got a batch of bad O-rings for the high pressure 134a refridgerant lines that allows a slow leak over weeks or months. Your A/C may reduce in performance so slowly, you may not notice, until you find yourself sweating one day ( or EV won't run because the battery cannot be cooled either.)

JUST FYI