C-Max Hybrid = 2013 Escape Hybrid ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default C-Max Hybrid = 2013 Escape Hybrid ?

I say that the C-max Hybrid is in reality a 2013 Hybrid Escape.

C-max and 2013 Escape are built on the same platform.

Except for a few inches of overall length, all exterior and interior dimensions are the same.

Weights and payloads are about the same.

Styling is nearly the same. Face and tail style are different, but the side views are nearly identical.

The Escape looks a little taller, but the height from ground clearance to top is identical. The C-Max just sits a little lower. Then again, the Escape would sit lower with Hybrid equipment weight on board.

Comments?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: C-Max Hybrid = 2013 Escape Hybrid ?

Do not agree. The C-Max does not have the same interior cargo capacity, towing capability or 4wd option. The previous generation Escape Hybrid had this. The C-Max is a different vehicle category than the previous Escape Hybrid.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Cheapskate

Agreed. Without the 4WD option, there's no real comparison.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Default Clarifying Re: C-Max Hybrid = 2013 Escape Hybrid ?

Originally Posted by Billyk24
Do not agree. The C-Max does not have the same interior cargo capacity, towing capability or 4wd option. The previous generation Escape Hybrid had this. The C-Max is a different vehicle category than the previous Escape Hybrid.
So, I raised the question: "C-Max Hybrid = 2013 Escape Hybrid ?"

And I staked out my position in the affirmative.

Billyk24 has taken up the negative and raised several good points:
interior cargo capacity differences
towing capability
4WD
different vehicle category

Elborak has joined in support of the negative, particularly in regard to 4WD.

Now we have the basis for a good debate.

I will respond to Billyk24's points separately, but first I had better clarify my position. I am not saying that the 2013 C-Max is equal to the previous Escape hybrid or even a satisfactory replacement for it. What I am saying is that the C-0max is essentially a hybrid version of the 2013 Escape.

Anyone joining me on this, or Am I on my own?

Old 04-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Clarifying Re: C-Max Hybrid = 2013 Escape Hybrid ?

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
So, I raised the question: "C-Max Hybrid = 2013 Escape Hybrid ?"

And I staked out my position in the affirmative.

Billyk24 has taken up the negative and raised several good points:
interior cargo capacity differences
towing capability
4WD
different vehicle category

Elborak has joined in support of the negative, particularly in regard to 4WD.

Now we have the basis for a good debate.

I will respond to Billyk24's points separately, but first I had better clarify my position. I am not saying that the 2013 C-Max is equal to the previous Escape hybrid or even a satisfactory replacement for it. What I am saying is that the C-0max is essentially a hybrid version of the 2013 Escape.

Anyone joining me on this, or Am I on my own?
No, the C-Max is a different design entirely. It was designed to be a pure passenger hybrid similar to the Prius. Being based on a design doesn't mean it is the same. The previous Escape was based on a 1990's Mazda platform, but nobody called them the same...

Old 05-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The C-Max does not use Toyota's HSD (CVT) design as did the Escape. Ford's own unique hybrid drive design. Remains to be seen...improvement.. or a step backwards.

And no AWD mode.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by wwest
The C-Max does not use Toyota's HSD (CVT) design as did the Escape. Ford's own unique hybrid drive design. Remains to be seen...improvement.. or a step backwards.

And no AWD mode.
Willard,

Thanks for joining in. Good to hear from you again.

most of the response I've been getting here seems to relate, as your did, to how the C-Max compares to the previous Escape Hybrid.

I've been trying to explain that the question I intended to raise had to do with whether the C-Max is essentially a hybrid version of the current 2013 Escape.

That said, I always understood that the Ford and Toyota hybrid systems were cross licensed, but I never understood exactly what the differences were beyond Ford having distinctly different software and using their own ICE. Neither do I have a good understanding of how the C-Max Hybrid or C-Max Energi systems differ from the older Ford Hybrid systems, beyond changes to lithium batteries, larger electric motors and smaller ICE's. I have read that the C-Max Power Split Device is still CV via single planetary gear set. I do note that the C-Max has a selectable low gear shifter position, but I do not know whether that is via hardware or software. It sure feels like a hardware gear shift.

I would appreciate any additional info you or others might post.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:35 PM

My concern about Ford hybrids is the elimination in 2010 of the battery Aux A/C. I need to research weather the C-Max Energi plug-in has a aux A/C for maintaining optimal battery efficiency. So if anyone knows that answer please post details. My understanding is the Focus electric battery does have a heating and cooling system, but need confirmation.

The low gear in the C-Max would have to be software and my bet it's like the L gear (traction motor) programming in the '05-'08 FEH.

GaryG

Old 05-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
My concern about Ford hybrids is the elimination in 2010 of the battery Aux A/C. I need to research weather the C-Max Energi plug-in has a aux A/C for maintaining optimal battery efficiency. So if anyone knows that answer please post details. My understanding is the Focus electric battery does have a heating and cooling system, but need confirmation.

The low gear in the C-Max would have to be software and my bet it's like the L gear (traction motor) programming in the '05-'08 FEH.

GaryG

The Cmax Hybrid has air (cabin cooling) intake for thermal regulation. The Cmax Engeri has a more "advanced" control for thermal regulation than the plain Cmax Hybrid. This system is different from the EV Focus that features liquid cooling. Try this link http://ev.sae.org/article/11705

and a photo:
Name:  cmaxdetails001_zpsa351517e.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  1.15 MB

Old 05-05-2013, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk24
The Cmax Hybrid has air (cabin cooling) intake for thermal regulation. The Cmax Engeri has a more "advanced" control for thermal regulation than the plain Cmax Hybrid. This system is different from the EV Focus that features liquid cooling. Try this link http://ev.sae.org/article/11705

and a photo:
Thanks Billy

The 2014 C-Max Energi may be in my sights for order this year. My wife works about 6 miles from my house and I have a dedicated 20A 120V circuit I can use for charging from my garage. In addition, there are two charging stations in my wife's parking lot I need to look into. I've already seen a C-Max Energi plugged in there, but not regularly. I think it's for the general public use on a first come basis, but not sure yet.

I would need to sell my '09 FEH with less than 32,000 miles and in mint condition after a wash and wax after 2 1/2 years. Tires and bone leather interior are still in excellent condition and I have the Nav w/sync Limited Edition. What a used find this would be for some lucky person. Even have a Husky cargo liner that goes with it.

GaryG

Quick Reply: C-Max Hybrid = 2013 Escape Hybrid ?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands