A/C not keeping engine on?

Old 11-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy A/C not keeping engine on?

I have a 2006 escape hybrid, up until this week the engine would turn on if A/C or defrost was on. However, it seems that is no longer the case. Twice now I've been driving and have come to a stop, then the engine shuts off and won't start even when switching to A/C or defrost.

Also it's happened where the engine has shut off when I already had the A/C on....

Has anyone experienced this?

Old 11-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A/C not keeping engine on?

Has to be "MAX A/C" or defrost, right?

Manual says "... the engine will typically run continuously..." in those modes, which kind of implies the engine may not always run. Might be some other conditions present that cause it to turn off, don't know.

But, in my very limited experience, the engine has always been running in those two settings. I guess that probably doesn't help you very much.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, Max A/C doesn't turn the engine on. None of the 'Red' settings....

Up until now it's always started the engine switching to those settings.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Feral Engineer

I live in a cold climate and mine does the same thing when it is cold. The AC compressor won't run in cold weather to prevent damage, so the logic seems to take this into account.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Cheapskate

Originally Posted by travelover
I live in a cold climate and mine does the same thing when it is cold. The AC compressor won't run in cold weather to prevent damage
That is correct; the AC does not run regardless of the climate setting if the temperature is below 32 or 33 (not sure which) degrees F.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Enthusiast
Angry Re: A/C not keeping engine on?

Thanks for the info! Glad to hear my FEH isn't broke.

Kinda stinks that the heat cuts out to nothing but cold air when I stop. When it's -20 Celsius out its a real... Pain. We've had -55 Celsius with windchill here before so I'm disappointed to hear that I can be without heat and there's no way to keep the ICE on when stopping.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by robbiedoo
Thanks for the info! Glad to hear my FEH isn't broke.

Kinda stinks that the heat cuts out to nothing but cold air when I stop. When it's -20 Celsius out its a real... Pain. We've had -55 Celsius with windchill here before so I'm disappointed to hear that I can be without heat and there's no way to keep the ICE on when stopping.
There is a separate electric water pump to circulate water through the heater when the engine is not running. Sounds like yours is not working.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast
Question Re: A/C not keeping engine on?

Wait... are you saying that there's supposed to be heat available when the ICE is off?

I've only owned my FEH for less than a year and the whole time if the ICE is off, then there's no heat available... just outside temp.

There should be heat?

Old 11-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Cheapskate

Originally Posted by robbiedoo
I've only owned my FEH for less than a year and the whole time if the ICE is off, then there's no heat available... just outside temp.

There should be heat?
There should be heat, although as the coolant temp falls with the ICE off it becomes pretty weak. But then when the coolant temp falls low enough, the ICE will restart anyway.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by elborak
There should be heat, although as the coolant temp falls with the ICE off it becomes pretty weak. But then when the coolant temp falls low enough, the ICE will restart anyway.
Right. The FEH has 3 water pumps. One is mechanical and runs off the engine belt drive, one is electric and cools the electrical devices like the DC-DC converter and the third serves the cabin heater when the engine is not running. As long as the engine is hot, you should get heat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C not keeping engine on?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands