Caliper changeout w/o EHCU bleed

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 06:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Caliper changeout w/o EHCU bleed

As a result of a parted OEM brake hose I had to changeout the front calipers and brake hoses. So did all of them.

Along the way discovered a technique for changing out the calipers & brake hoses without needing to bleed the EHCU.

Get some caps for the brake line ends that fit over them snugly. When you remove the hose, quickly put one of these caps over the line end. This stops leakage and associated air introduction into the brake line. I watched these for leakage (ie drips on the floor) and saw none. As it turns out when I did the rear calipers it was overnight: no leaks, no drips...

Thus no air introduction back into the brake line.

As it turns out the calipers I bought had small, green plastic caps/cleanliness plugs in the hole for the brake hose. These were just the right size for the brake line ends.

Then swap out the calipers, install the the new hoses, and do a conventional bleed procedure. I found that using a gravity method to initially fill the hose & caliper took maybe 2 minutes per caliper. Then a pressure bleeder removed the residual air.

Cost @ NAPA: caliper ~ $50@; hose ~ $ 15@
(Note there is a core charge of like $45 per caliper but you get it back.)

This was the first time I had done this on the Escape Hybrid. Now that I've worked thru the stuff, it's maybe a 1 - 2 hour job for all four wheels.

Purchased a MotiveProducts pressure bleeder for this. Found the cap adaptor to not work right. The lugs inside the cap adaptor are so deep that I had to use a pair of channel locks to be able to twist the cap onto the reservoir. The seal is provided by the O-Rings inside this cap adaptor, not by its tight fit onto the reservoir. Thus the design is a bit off... but in the end it worked as advertised.

Further info on the Motive Products Pressure Bleeder:
The hose connecting it to the reservoir adaptor doesn't use a rotatable fitting. Makes it difficult to connect. The adaptor itself, as mentioned above, is not designed quite right and causes leakage when disconnecting it from the reservoir.

Contacted them about these issue and they referred me to their FAQs... which didn't address the issues.

Much as its a nice unit, it's awkward and causes spillage of brake fluid in some places that don't need brake fluid. (eg the wiring connections into the transaxle)

For now get a different pressure bleeder (at least until they redesign the adaptor).

Last edited by Bill Winney; 01-18-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:18 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Caliper changeout w/o EHCU bleed

I bought a Motive Products Pressure Bleeder to use on a '78 Corvette in the summer of 2012 which I sold in 8/13. I found the same issue connecting so I used a female quick disconnect on the tank/pump and male fittings on the adapter. I purchased an adapter for my '09 FE and my '90 Buick.

I haven't used the FE one yet but the Buick one worked perfectly. There are more expensive ones that have a release valve on the tank. The extra cost might depend on how much you use them.

Not bleeding the whole system does have some issues though. Brake fluid doesn't last forever and is highly hydroscopic or absorbs moisture like a sponge. Moisture can turns to steam as the rotor/caliper/drum gets hot under heavy braking and your vehicle's brakes don't work well like that. I went a bit overboard and got an electronic BF tester. While talking to the manufacturer, they went to Europe in testing their product as they do BF moisture testing as part of mandatory safety tests. They did said that MotorCraft brand was one of the top BF on the market.

My Buick which belonged to my parents had the OEM BF. Took about a week of cleaning, soaking, tapping and a bit of praying as not to snap the bleeder valves off! I bled all till they ran clear clean brake fluid.

EDIT
Reading your other thread, maybe you did push enough brake fluid through for a complete flush???

Last edited by wptski; 01-18-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I may yet changeout the hose connectors on the pressure bleeder, as you did... I just think that this unit should come with an easily connected setup.

Regarding the bleed of the EHCU: yes I intentionally pushed alot of brake fluid through the system. Wanting to ensure I flushed it well. Probably threw away nearly a gallon of fluid bled/drained.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
I may yet changeout the hose connectors on the pressure bleeder, as you did... I just think that this unit should come with an easily connected setup.

Regarding the bleed of the EHCU: yes I intentionally pushed alot of brake fluid through the system. Wanting to ensure I flushed it well. Probably threw away nearly a gallon of fluid bled/drained.
I guess that's why it's the cheapest on the market.

The older Corvette had a four piston non-floating calipers with the rear having an inner/outer bleed valves. A real PITA! I've read of owners putting three gallons of brake fluid through them and still have a spongy brake pedal.