Can I do anything with extra dash buttons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Can I do anything with extra dash buttons?

I have a 2005 FEH and I've always wondered what the extra button spaces on the dash are (the ones next to "Info" and "Set". They aren't actually pressable buttons, but the spaces are there.

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket accessories that fit those buttons? Does anyone make a forced EV mode button? Maybe an iPod connection? Aftermarket heated seats? Anything?

It seems strange that they'd make space on the dash for extra buttons and then have nothing to use them for.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can I do anything with extra dash buttons?

that would be cool. Forced ev mode!! I read where there is a switch that you can install on the prius to do just that. If we could figure out a way to force EV or at least be able to figure out how to get it to not be so quick to want to turn on the ICE.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What buttons don't you have?

The only one I think might be empty, is the one for the rear backup sensors.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

I had the same empty button question, and then decided that I could use one button to control the AC. So I am working on that project.

My goal is to let me turn on the AC in any vent position, and likewise to be able to put the vent in any position without the AC coming on.

So far I have purchased another button, removed the graphic on it, and added my graphic that simply says AC. The rest is more complicated, but I am working on it. I will definitely post all the details when I get it working.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:44 AM
Enthusiast

We also have a Prius and you can buy an aftermarket kit that lets you force the Prius into EV mode for short distances. It's great and fit right in with the existing Prius electrical system. We did the same thing with an aftermarket XM Radio kit - so now it's controlled through the Prius sound system.

I just don't get why there's nothing like that for the Ford. The extra spaces for buttons are there on the dash. It seems like somebody would make some kind of aftermarket accessory to take advantage of them.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:49 AM

On my MMH the "buttons" are (L to R), Flashers, Rear Defrost, Info (gauge cluster), Set (gauge cluster), the reverse parking sensor button and the non-pressable passenger airbag sensor display. If someone is sitting in the passenger seat...and then leans out of the seat it will light up.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Feral Engineer

Salsbr, where did you get the button? I've been thinking of switching the heater coolant pump.

Has anyone figured out anything creative to do with the LATCH child seat attachments (outside of attaching a child's seat, that is)?

Old 05-03-2007, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by travelover
Salsbr, where did you get the button? I've been thinking of switching the heater coolant pump.

Has anyone figured out anything creative to do with the LATCH child seat attachments (outside of attaching a child's seat, that is)?
I still wonder if there is a separate heater coolant pump. I agree there has to be an electric pump to circulate the coolant for the heater when the engine is off... but why woudn't they just use the same electric pump to cool the engine as well. Its on the same coolant system. Then you just have valves to bypass the heater core when you don't want heat like a normal heater system on a car.... I don't see the need for essentially two pumps (actually there would be three water pumps total in the car) to do the job that one can.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have an idea. rig up a switch to shock GWB in the **** everytime a soldier falls to defend his agenda.. He would be well done in about an hour.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by travelover

I got it from the dealer. I ordered a replacement switch for the rear window defrost. It cost me around $15, and is part #5L8Z-18578-BAA.

Then I took rubbing compound and removed the defrost graphic. One nice tip here is to use the end of a q-tip, and an electric drill to apply the rubbing compound. In not too long you will have a blank spot instead of the graphic.

Next, I used my computer and laser printer to print several different potential graphics to indicate the Air Conditioner control. I settled on a simple one that is simply "AC". I printed this onto a sticker, and then cut the letters out. I placed the letters on the blank face of the switch, and then used spray paint to paint the face of the switch. After it dried I removed the sticker letters, and I have a beautiful new graphic that will light up with the standard illumination system. I sprayed a layer of acrylic over the black paint to make it last longer.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but there it is.

BTW, I will have to build an external circuit to control the AC system, but this switch will be used for control and feedback (which AC mode).

Quick Reply: Can I do anything with extra dash buttons?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands