Can I put a hitch on a 2005?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Can I put a hitch on a 2005?

I have a 2005 escape hybrid and I'm getting conflicting info on whether I can put a hitch on. (I need to tow a chipper/shredder. It probably weighs under 1000 lbs.) The ford dealer doesn't list a hitch and says it isn't recommended. Uhaul says "no problem".

Anybody done this to their 2005?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can I put a hitch on a 2005?

Yes you can. I have a Hidden Hitch installed on mine. Look in the photo section for more.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:10 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Yes you can. Many people, including myself do.

The "official" towing limit is 1000 pounds, and there's very few items out there that weigh less than 1000 pounds, so that's why you may get conflicting info.

You may tow more if you reduce speeds, and drive more conservatively than usual. The car is very capable. I personally have towed 2,000 pounds and it did remarkably well, and got about 23-24 MPG to boot.

HTH,
-John

Old 11-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Feral Engineer

I installed a hitch, too. Very easy job. Note that you can't just wire off the tail lights - you need to tap into the battery so the power comes directly off the battery and the tail lights only supply a controlling voltage.

Do a search here and you'll find threads with all the part numbers and details.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by jimbarstow
I have a 2005 escape hybrid and I'm getting conflicting info on whether I can put a hitch on. (I need to tow a chipper/shredder. It probably weighs under 1000 lbs.) The ford dealer doesn't list a hitch and says it isn't recommended. Uhaul says "no problem".

Anybody done this to their 2005?
I believe the main issue for towing is reverse. When you go in reverse you are ONLY able to use the traction motor for power. The engine is on and pumping current, however there is no reverse gear and the only push is from a 95hp traction motor. I think the limit is there for that reason. If you don't have to back up much or push it up a hill in reverse you are probably better off than if you do.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:52 AM

To get 94 HP out of the gas engine, you need to have about 5,000 RPM.

How many people BACK UP with the gas engine at 5,000 RPM?

Horsepower needs for towing and driving are grossly over-estimated by most people.
-John

Old 11-14-2008, 05:51 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by gpsman1
To get 94 HP out of the gas engine, you need to have about 5,000 RPM.

How many people BACK UP with the gas engine at 5,000 RPM?

Horsepower needs for towing and driving are grossly over-estimated by most people.
-John
I've never been able to get a definite answer on this from insiders at Ford, but I'm pretty confident that the constraining factor for trailer weight is the ability to do an extended tow up a long grade. Ford has internal standards for towing performance and once the battery was depleted going up a long grade, you'd be limited to the output of the gas engine. The CVT is much more durable than the automatic transmission and the brakes are as good as a nonhybrid, so I don't see them as factors. Ford can't really have one towing rating for level ground and another for the mountains.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Yes you can. Many people, including myself do.

The "official" towing limit is 1000 pounds, and there's very few items out there that weigh less than 1000 pounds, so that's why you may get conflicting info.
Actually the 1000 lbs isn't for what you're towing... it's for everything. The car was engineered for 1000 lb payload but that includes the driver, passengers, any cargo, and if you attach a trailer then you have to add that too.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:38 AM

Let's clarify:

The interior of the FEH has a 1,000 pound cargo capacity, including the weight of passengers and any accessories ( step bars, hitch etc. ).
As part of this 1,000 pounds, you need to consider the TOUNGE WEIGHT which is the downward weight the trailer presses down the back bumper ( aka hitch ).

You can have a 1,000 pound trailer that only presses down 50 pounds of weight on the back bumper, if it is balanced well.

You can have 1000 pounds INSIDE the car ( or 950 in my example ) and still safely pull a 1000 pound trailer in addition to this.
-John

Old 11-15-2008, 03:10 AM

If a picture is worth a thousand words:
Name:  ESCAPEWITHPELLETLOADREARVEIWWITHTEX.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  180.8 KB

Add the weight of two males (370lbs) and .

Quick Reply: Can I put a hitch on a 2005?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands