can you diagnose CAUSE of red triangle with SG2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default can you diagnose CAUSE of red triangle with SG2?

Is this possible? Has anyone had their scangauge hooked up while this warning light has come up? I dont want to spend the money on a SG if all i can do with it is look at stupid parameters like coolant temp and mpg junk. All I want a SG for is to be able to diagnose trouble lamps that arise. thanks

Old 08-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: can you diagnose CAUSE of red triangle with SG2?

The scanguage will read "codes" but some codes required FORD equipment to read.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast

what exactly is ford equipment? whats their obd scanner called is what i mean. probably close to 5 or 10 grand for a machine like that huh?

Old 08-18-2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by mijohnst
Is this possible? Has anyone had their scangauge hooked up while this warning light has come up? I dont want to spend the money on a SG if all i can do with it is look at stupid parameters like coolant temp and mpg junk. All I want a SG for is to be able to diagnose trouble lamps that arise. thanks
CarlD has shown us how to use the SGII to find just about all you need about FEH codes and what's causing the red triangle. In many cases he has found ways to program a SGII to find codes the hybrid dealer techs could not find. See this post:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21291

You can join http://www.cleanmpg.com/ and buy a SGII at a discount.

GaryG

Old 08-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mijohnst
what exactly is ford equipment? whats their obd scanner called is what i mean. probably close to 5 or 10 grand for a machine like that huh?
It is called the Vehicle Communication Module, or VCM, from Rotunda Tools. They don't list the price on the website, you have to call for it. I looked into buying one a couple weeks ago and it is just over $2700 for the tool, plus you have to pay $500 a year for the subscription to use the tool.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by m056678
It is called the Vehicle Communication Module, or VCM, from Rotunda Tools. They don't list the price on the website, you have to call for it. I looked into buying one a couple weeks ago and it is just over $2700 for the tool, plus you have to pay $500 a year for the subscription to use the tool.
The so-called IDS is used now. What you mention was in use but was phased out a few years ago. That would work on older vehicles but eveything uses the IDS only now. If there is a PCM reflash, it mentions what IDS version number to use. That's why it's only $2700!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
The so-called IDS is used now. What you mention was in use but was phased out a few years ago. That would work on older vehicles but eveything uses the IDS only now. If there is a PCM reflash, it mentions what IDS version number to use. That's why it's only $2700!
IDS is the software the computer runs. The VCM is the link between the laptop running IDS (or the PDA running PDS) and the Controller Area Network (CAN) in the vehicle. If there is still any question on what the proper Ford tool is, please read this Motorcraft webpage. Basically, IDS is absolutely useless without the VCM.

Additionally, I have seen the VCM (connected to a laptop running IDS) connected to my 2010 FFH for troubleshooting. It is the correct tool. Also, as far as the IDS version number goes, you should always use the most recent version.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:49 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by m056678
IDS is the software the computer runs. The VCM is the link between the laptop running IDS (or the PDA running PDS) and the Controller Area Network (CAN) in the vehicle. If there is still any question on what the proper Ford tool is, please read this Motorcraft webpage. Basically, IDS is absolutely useless without the VCM.

Additionally, I have seen the VCM (connected to a laptop running IDS) connected to my 2010 FFH for troubleshooting. It is the correct tool. Also, as far as the IDS version number goes, you should always use the most recent version.
The Rotunda or similiar name threw me off as their old tool had a name like that. Still $2700 sounds a bit cheap! If the $500/year subscription is for VCM, what about the IDS software? Sure you don't need to pay a licence fee to use the IDS also?

There are third party Ford specific scan tools on the market over $5,000. I'm in the middle of problem with my '09 FE and was told by my local Ford Customer Rep that their VDR which I think is commonly refered to as a flight recorder is about $5,000 and most dealers have only one. The IDS can't record by itself without the VDR, something most any prosumer scanner can do. Then you need the VMM which is a four channel scope.

I seem to remember looking up the price for a IDS package and it was like $10,000 too but that was with a Dell PC and maybe some other options.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast

gracious...i think ill just stick with SC2

Old 08-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
The Rotunda or similiar name threw me off as their old tool had a name like that. Still $2700 sounds a bit cheap! If the $500/year subscription is for VCM, what about the IDS software? Sure you don't need to pay a licence fee to use the IDS also?

There are third party Ford specific scan tools on the market over $5,000. I'm in the middle of problem with my '09 FE and was told by my local Ford Customer Rep that their VDR which I think is commonly refered to as a flight recorder is about $5,000 and most dealers have only one. The IDS can't record by itself without the VDR, something most any prosumer scanner can do. Then you need the VMM which is a four channel scope.

I seem to remember looking up the price for a IDS package and it was like $10,000 too but that was with a Dell PC and maybe some other options.
The subscription gives you access to the latest IDS and calibration files.