Can you explain the engine block heater?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can you explain the engine block heater?

If a Ford service department replaced a relay, that could be a reason why the HV battery continued to drain and display a low SOC. Many years ago-(2008?), GaryG had an issue, a tow job and found out it was a $12 relay that went bad.

I can only recall one other individual that had a HV battery go bad and need replacement.

If you can create a home charging unit for the HV battery, you certainly should post your product here. However, the vehicle is designed to hold a 53% SOC status. Going beyond this value will cause the vehicle to just burn off the excess SOC.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk24
If a Ford service department replaced a relay, that could be a reason why the HV battery continued to drain and display a low SOC. Many years ago-(2008?), GaryG had an issue, a tow job and found out it was a $12 relay that went bad.
I was fortunate that it was just a relay so far.. and the part and tow are covered.
I hope that is all that is wrong. and am confident that was the problem, otherwise I would be reluctant to take it tomorrow,

I can only recall one other individual that had a HV battery go bad and need replacement.
from my research prior to buying it, it shows that the batteries are well designed and trouble free for the most part.. but being humans we can and do break about anything..

If you can create a home charging unit for the HV battery, you certainly should post your product here. However, the vehicle is designed to hold a 53% SOC status. Going beyond this value will cause the vehicle to just burn off the excess SOC.
I think to be effective and increase the EV range it would have to be an add on system such as the Enginer system. but that alone is a costly upgrade.

but if I can find a way to do it without all the costly add on stuff It would have to include a system to make the whole car ready for EV mode at start up. which would mean a block and battery heater component as well..

those would be easy to set up.. basically a controller with a few temp inputs and you could maintain the best available conditions to minimize the "warm-up" time.

as for the charge, limiting it to 50% would not be difficult. but finding a way to get it to the battery with just minor modifications may be the hard part.

otherwise the enginer style kit may be the best option.

but I haven't researched them much yet.

Steve

Old 01-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

The Enginer Kits are no longer sold. There was reliability issue. The concept is sound but no third party vendors exist.