Can you safely tow with the Escape?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:48 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can you safely tow with the Escape?

Originally Posted by travelover
I've been told that the CVT transmission is more durable than the trans used on the gas versions, based on how many transmission swaps it takes to get it through the accelerated vehicle durability testing.
Durability under light load and durability under heavy loads could be very different things. Under light loads CVT transmissions are almost bulletproof because of the smaller number of moving parts. However, the basic technology has some practical load limits not shared by conventional transmissions.

I can't think of any reason besides the transmission to limit towing capacity since the frame is the same, the engine/motor is certainly powerful enough, etc. Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenG
Durability under light load and durability under heavy loads could be very different things. Under light loads CVT transmissions are almost bulletproof because of the smaller number of moving parts. However, the basic technology has some practical load limits not shared by conventional transmissions.

I can't think of any reason besides the transmission to limit towing capacity since the frame is the same, the engine/motor is certainly powerful enough, etc. Anyone else have any ideas?
Only thing I can think of is that increased towing would induce more strain and heat in the traction motor both when getting the thing moving and for acceleration. Pehaps that is the reason for the limit. Or perhaps the regenerative braking system just isn't set up for it.... but its speculation on my part, someone else will know better.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

so has anyone towed yet, im movin from cali to texas and plan on using my2008 ford escape hybrid to do so.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think there are two issues that limit the trailer weight rating for the FEH.

One is that reverse is electric-only. So it only has so much power to push a trailer backwards up a hill, for instance.

The second is that there's no effective engine braking at slow speeds. And at highway speeds the small amount that is available goes away completely once the regeneration has charged the hybrid battery to capacity. After that, since there's no way to downshift, you're on the mechanical brakes alone. Sort of like a runaway train.

I think these are the reasons for the conservative trailer weight rating on the FEH, not transmission durability.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

i have a 4wd with disc breaks all around

Old 05-23-2014, 05:43 AM
Feral Engineer

The other major limitation is power on long grades. The electric boost that you get in everyday driving eventually runs out on a long grade and all you have is the power of the ICE to get you to the top of the mountain.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

will the engine not be stron enough?

Old 05-23-2014, 07:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think the issue with the official 1K max towing limit is the brakes. If your trailer has it's own brakes it would probably allow more. But the comments about lack of power of long grades are exactly right.

However, using the "L" on a 2008 will force engine braking once the battery is maxed out (typically around 60-62 SOC on my 2008 AWD).

BTW, I don't tow.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Feral Engineer

I don't think that the issue is brakes. The V6 Escape is rated for 3500# towing.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

have u towed ? i have a 08 E 4wd hybrid and i really want to tow with it. does u haul have trailers with brakes

Quick Reply: Can you safely tow with the Escape?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands