Canada Wrench Sign/Traction Blend Door Actuator

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Canada Wrench Sign/Traction Blend Door Actuator

I don't disagree, but there is far less incentive for a manufacturer to redesign a non-safety-related part if it won't be used in any future platform. This part won't cause the vehicle to fail while on the road...

Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

I agree... This seems to be a very common failure item. These actuators are also used for heating and cooling ducts in the cab area and they often fail there too. Symptoms include hot air blowing when it should be cold and vice-versa. The copper contacts also oxidize just like the contacts in a cheap flashlight (ever wonder why the switches always stop working?). If I go through this repair again, just for the fun experience of it I'm going to try to refurbish it. The one I removed had no obvious flaws other than the oxidation of the copper and some grease/dirt on the circuit board contacts. I suspect that they can be brought back with some TLC... Not that the price of the part is unreasonable or anything. I just hate dumping a usable part into the land fill if all it needs is a little clean up.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Really FEH will be discontinued? Too bad, I thought it is a great idea to bring SUV to hybrid because it is spacious, comfortable and practical.

How about Toyota Hybrid Highlander?

Old 09-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by stevedebi
I don't disagree, but there is far less incentive for a manufacturer to redesign a non-safety-related part if it won't be used in any future platform. This part won't cause the vehicle to fail while on the road...
I know - I was an automotive engineer for 26 years. Pressure comes from irate customers and dealers who get the grief, especially when it has to be repaired yet again. The solution may be as simple as changing the plating on the brush contacts.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sphinx88
Really FEH will be discontinued? Too bad, I thought it is a great idea to bring SUV to hybrid because it is spacious, comfortable and practical.

How about Toyota Hybrid Highlander?
So far as I know the HH is still going to exist. But it uses a V6. The Escape is going global, and I think the new model will engine off while stopped. Some people also say regen braking, but that would require an electric motor and large battery to start off the vehicle, so why not a full hybrid in that case? But not the hybrid we know and love...

Not to mention losing hybrid capabilities with mechanical AWD.