Car won't start / Red Triangle / Stop Safely Now

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Car won't start / Red Triangle / Stop Safely Now

Originally Posted by Rex B
FORscan is PC software.
ELM327 plugs into the OBD2 port and transmits via Bluetooth (or wifi) to the laptop running FORscan. Google Forscan.

This setup is what you use instead of the scanner you have already tried
Okay gotcha. Well we tried hooking the cables up to the batter you get more juice and still nothing.

So the scanner you are talking about will read the codes through bluetooth. Why won't my OBDII scanner read it? Different software?

Also does the check engine light blinking eight times then staying on mean anything?

Old 05-23-2018, 04:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

"You can't see the hybrid drive codes with a standard OBD2 scanner."

Old 05-24-2018, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast

"You can't see the hybrid drive codes with a standard OBD2 scanner."
I ordered a couple of those wireless scanners including the one you told me about. Does it matter if I use my phone or computer with the ForScan app?

Delivery is 5 days out . Sucks not having a car or even knowing what is wrong with it.

Ford said they could do it in 2 days but want 100 dollars just to read the code.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have only used the PC version.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:23 PM
Enthusiast

Not sure if it would help but I used to have the "stop safely now" while driving or when I first started the car during very cold days on winter. I believe it was a pump replacement and was covered by a Ford Recall.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:34 PM
Enthusiast

I have only used the PC version.
ELM 327 came today. I was able to get it to hook up to my phone no problem with a random app called ForSys Free as ForScan is not free on Android. Then I took my computer out there and it won't connect to my PC via Bluetooth or Wifi via the ForScan app you sent..just says can't find ELM?

Also some good news, we got the car running again. My wife switched the fuses for the Antitheft and it finally turned on. But while it runs fine for a while it intermittently shuts off with Stop Safely Now. Although it turns right back on after stop. No idea what this could be and the ELM 327 vis ForSys Free says there is no codes.

Thoughts?

Old 05-30-2018, 06:10 AM
Enthusiast

As mentioned above, check your MECS pump. It is a smallish coolant pump located on the bottom of the radiator support and drives coolant through the motor electronics; reservoir is the rear one in the engine bay. when key is on, there should be circulation in the reservoir and you should be able to hear/feel pump running. if not, replace pump. it was under a recall [not sure if it expired] but pumps are available for about $125 [Dorman Brand] or about $200 for Ford oem.
If you have the original Bosch, it was not brushless and should be discarded.
Sometimes you can hit the pump with a small mallet or something and it will start for a while but will probably not start next time.