Car won't start / Red Triangle / Stop Safely Now

Old 05-22-2018, 05:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Car won't start / Red Triangle / Stop Safely Now

Went out to start my 2008 FEH this morning and it did all the normal noises and motions except start. Dash reads Stop Safely Now. Red triangle on top right of dash. Engine light blinking intermittently and anti theft blinking quickly.

Recent service: 2 weeks ago Just had the axle replaced. Then my differential went out so I had that replaced. Drove like new.

2 days ago we changed the oil (I have checked it over, no leaks, oil filter is there, and level is fine)

Things I have tried:
Another key.
Disconnecting the red wire for 1 hour to reset the computer.
Bought an OBD II scanner but it says no codes are there.

Things I read that could be wrong:
Antitheft has us locked out (not sure how or why this would happen)
Throttle body needs cleaned out
Replace the 6 relays in the fuse box
Jump start the hybrid battery (how do you do this?)

Any input would be great as I just spent 800 dollars not he axle and differential this month and would like this to be an easy fix. So please only good news lol.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:05 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Car won't start / Red Triangle / Stop Safely Now

You can start by jump starting the 12V battery. Do it just like any other car. I prefer to use a portable jumper battery rather than risk harming a 2nd vehicle.
If you have something to check 12V battery voltage do that first.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:07 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rex B
You can start by jump starting the 12V battery. Do it just like any other car. I prefer to use a portable jumper battery rather than risk harming a 2nd vehicle.
If you have something to check 12V battery voltage do that first.
So you want me to jump start the 12v battery even though it is already running the lights and turning the car on (not the engine)? Will jump starting that battery also jump start the big battery in the back? If not how do I jump start the hybrid battery?

Old 05-23-2018, 09:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

The 12V battery can run the accessories, yet still have too little charge to energize the relays that connect the big battery on startup.

My 12V battery failed this week. I don't recall seeing the warning icons you mention, but it was otherwise as you describe.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:15 AM
Enthusiast

The 12V battery can run the accessories, yet still have too little charge to energize the relays that connect the big battery on startup.

My 12V battery failed this week. I don't recall seeing the warning icons you mention, but it was otherwise as you describe.

Okay so if it is not the 12v battery how do I charge/jump start the hybrid battery?

Old 05-23-2018, 09:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by egon10psi
Okay so if it is not the 12v battery how do I charge/jump start the hybrid battery?
You don't. It charges from the motor/generator. There is no provision for external charging or jump-starting. The big battery will almost always have enough energy to spin the motor that starts the ICE, and then it can recharge that battery. But nothing happens if you don't have 12V in sufficient amperage to energize those 3 big relays that connect the big battery to everything else.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast

You don't. It charges from the motor/generator. There is no provision for external charging or jump-starting. The big battery will almost always have enough energy to spin the motor that starts the ICE, and then it can recharge that battery. But nothing happens if you don't have 12V in sufficient amperage to energize those 3 big relays that connect the big battery to everything else.
Okay I am going to try another battery. If that doesn't work should I move to the relays?

Old 05-23-2018, 11:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think the relays rarely fail. Certainly they would not all fail at once. You can hear them click when you first turn the key.

Your next step is to download and install FORscan and use it with a OBD adapter - ELM327 or similar - and a laptop. You can't see the hybrid drive codes with a standard OBD2 scanner.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

I think the relays rarely fail. Certainly they would not all fail at once. You can hear them click when you first turn the key.

Your next step is to download and install FORscan and use it with a OBD adapter - ELM327 or similar - and a laptop. You can't see the hybrid drive codes with a standard OBD2 scanner.
I bought an OBDII scanner. But are you saying I also need this adapter as well in order for the OBDII scanner to work? Not sure where I could find that without ordering one.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

FORscan is PC software.
ELM327 plugs into the OBD2 port and transmits via Bluetooth (or wifi) to the laptop running FORscan. Google Forscan.

This setup is what you use instead of the scanner you have already tried

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car won't start / Red Triangle / Stop Safely Now

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands