Check Engine Light - P1450 Excessive Vacuum

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Newbie Enthusiast
Default Check Engine Light - P1450 Excessive Vacuum

Hi Everyone,

My '08 FEH (2WD) just flashed its Check Engine Light the other day. It stayed on for a few days, but the car drove just fine, no difference at all. I plugged in an OBDII reader and got a P1450 code. I checked the Ford 2008 MY OBD System Operation guide, and it says this is an "Excessive Vacuum" code as part of the Evap Monitor system. The exact wording from the Ford guide is:

"If the initial vacuum is excessive, a vacuum malfunction is indicated (P1450). This could be caused by blocked vapor lines between the Fuel Tank Pressure Transducer and the Canister Vent Solenoid, or a stuck open Vapor Management Valve."

I crawled under the car and did not see anything out of the ordinary in the gas tank area. All the lines, valves, and other parts don't look worn or damaged. I cleared the code using the OBDII scanner. It stayed away for about a week. Then the CEL came on again one morning...same code. I cleared it again. It has been about 2 weeks now and no CEL yet. I'm in kind of a wait-and-see mode. Not going to try to fix anything yet, but definitely curious about what's going on.

1. Has anyone encountered this code before? What did you do to fix it?
2. Hopefully this will help someone else who has experienced similar issues.

I found 2 related posts on this site. Both were talking about the Evap System, but not the same codes/issues.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ht-08-a-14818/
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...etected-26415/

Old 07-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Default Re: Check Engine Light - P1450 Excessive Vacuum

Originally Posted by deprotinator
Hi Everyone,

My '08 FEH (2WD) just flashed its Check Engine Light the other day. It stayed on for a few days, but the car drove just fine, no difference at all. I plugged in an OBDII reader and got a P1450 code. I checked the Ford 2008 MY OBD System Operation guide, and it says this is an "Excessive Vacuum" code as part of the Evap Monitor system. The exact wording from the Ford guide is:

"If the initial vacuum is excessive, a vacuum malfunction is indicated (P1450). This could be caused by blocked vapor lines between the Fuel Tank Pressure Transducer and the Canister Vent Solenoid, or a stuck open Vapor Management Valve."

If you have less than 80,000 miles, this should be covered under the emissions warranty.

Gary

I crawled under the car and did not see anything out of the ordinary in the gas tank area. All the lines, valves, and other parts don't look worn or damaged. I cleared the code using the OBDII scanner. It stayed away for about a week. Then the CEL came on again one morning...same code. I cleared it again. It has been about 2 weeks now and no CEL yet. I'm in kind of a wait-and-see mode. Not going to try to fix anything yet, but definitely curious about what's going on.

1. Has anyone encountered this code before? What did you do to fix it?
2. Hopefully this will help someone else who has experienced similar issues.

I found 2 related posts on this site. Both were talking about the Evap System, but not the same codes/issues.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ht-08-a-14818/
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...etected-26415/

Old 07-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Newbie Enthusiast

Quoting:
"If you have less than 80,000 miles, this should be covered under the emissions warranty. -Gary"

Thanks for the fast reply Gary! I didn't realize there is an emissions warranty. I thought I only had the standard 3yr/36k warranty for most of the car and the 8yr/100k warranty for the hybrid components. I believe in CA, the hybrid components are warranted for 10yr/120k. Don't quote me on that last part, I could be wrong, but regardless, I didn't know there was a different 80k warranty that covers the emissions system. Is this published somewhere so I can go talk to the dealer about this with some kind of printout? Thanks for the help!

Old 07-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Newbie Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

So I did more Googling following Gary's advice. Ford does indeed provide an emissions warranty as outlined in their warranty documentation from Ford's website. For me, the wording in the document states that the car is warranted for 15 years/150k miles for any emissions defects or emissions performance (state of CA). Your warranty coverage may vary based on year of vehicle and your state. So I guess I'll be making a phone call to the dealership the next time my CEL comes on with the P1450 code. Thanks Gary for the help!

PS - In other states, the emissions warranty is shorter and more complicated. I will try to summarize here, but it's best to find our own vehicle's documentation on Ford's website so you can see the exact wording.

Emissions Defect Warranty
Emissions Related Parts: 3yr/36K
Certain Parts: 8yr/80k (Catalytic converters, electronic emissions control unit, & onboard emissions diagnostic device)

Emissions Performance Warranty
Emissions Related Parts: 2yr/24K
Certain Parts: 8yr/80k (Catalytic converters, electronic emissions control unit, & onboard emissions diagnostic device)

Last edited by deprotinator; 07-15-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by deprotinator
Quoting:
"If you have less than 80,000 miles, this should be covered under the emissions warranty. -Gary"

Thanks for the fast reply Gary! I didn't realize there is an emissions warranty. I thought I only had the standard 3yr/36k warranty for most of the car and the 8yr/100k warranty for the hybrid components. I believe in CA, the hybrid components are warranted for 10yr/120k. Don't quote me on that last part, I could be wrong, but regardless, I didn't know there was a different 80k warranty that covers the emissions system. Is this published somewhere so I can go talk to the dealer about this with some kind of printout? Thanks for the help!
Of course it's published, look in your emissions section warranty manual, take it to dealer and tell them to fits it now for free! Post any problems they give you.

Gary