chirping sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default chirping sound

Hi everyone -

We have an 09 Escape hybrid. Recently it has started making what I can only describe as an intermittent chirping sound while driving - not while applying brakes. What could this be?

Coincidentally (?) we have just started getting a tire pressure sensor fault message as well. Tires are new within past several months and pressure was good when we checked this week

Have also been hearing a jingle from what seems to be rear of vehicle when going over bumps, noticeable with windows down.

Thanks for responses.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: chirping sound

Originally Posted by 09escape
Hi everyone -

We have an 09 Escape hybrid. Recently it has started making what I can only describe as an intermittent chirping sound while driving - not while applying brakes. What could this be?

Coincidentally (?) we have just started getting a tire pressure sensor fault message as well. Tires are new within past several months and pressure was good when we checked this week

Have also been hearing a jingle from what seems to be rear of vehicle when going over bumps, noticeable with windows down.

Thanks for responses.
Mine has had what I call a squeak (but is also like a chirp) at medium speeds (20-30) since I bought it. I think it is the rear suspension. I don't generally notice it unless the windows are down at the time. It is annoying but I don't think it is serious.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

There is a TSB on the noise that comes from the rear suspension. I have the full text of how to fix it... I'll look that up and post it.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by corski67
There is a TSB on the noise that comes from the rear suspension. I have the full text of how to fix it... I'll look that up and post it.
I think it was for the model prior to 2008, but I'll be interested to see the TSB.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:04 AM
Enthusiast

Same chirping issue on my 08... I believe it is when the AC compressor kicks on, but I have not diagnosed it further than that.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

OK - I looked up the TSB. It is TSB 10-22-08 published 11/22/2010. The TSB is covers 2001-2011 Escapes, hybrid and non hybrid and supercedes TSB 10-1-9.

From the TSB:
Some 2001-2011 Escape and 2005-2011 Mariner vehicles may exhibit an underbody creak or squeak when accelerating from a stop or when braking to a stop. Depending on model year, the noise may appear to come from the front or rear underbody or suspension area.

I would rather not post the entire TSB here so please send me a private message with your email address if you are wanting to see the entire text. I can send you a Word document via email. The fix is somwhat involved but if the noise is driving you nuts it's something to look into as far as what might be causing it.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by corski67
OK - I looked up the TSB. It is TSB 10-22-08 published 11/22/2010. The TSB is covers 2001-2011 Escapes, hybrid and non hybrid and supercedes TSB 10-1-9.

From the TSB:
Some 2001-2011 Escape and 2005-2011 Mariner vehicles may exhibit an underbody creak or squeak when accelerating from a stop or when braking to a stop. Depending on model year, the noise may appear to come from the front or rear underbody or suspension area.

I would rather not post the entire TSB here so please send me a private message with your email address if you are wanting to see the entire text. I can send you a Word document via email. The fix is somwhat involved but if the noise is driving you nuts it's something to look into as far as what might be causing it.
I haven't listened for mine in a while, but it happened while the car was cruising, not accelerating or stopping.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sounds like the noises described in the TSB may be unrelated to the chirping you're hearing.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:42 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.

Took the car to the local Chevy dealer (see "ticking" post if you want to know why we won't go to the local Ford dealer) and they said it didn't make the noise. They also couldn't fix the tire sensor issue.

Does anyone think the two could be related?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

90% chance it is from the air conditioner compressor clutch and/or belt.

Quick Reply: chirping sound

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands