City vs Highway mpg

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Happy Owner
Question City vs Highway mpg

I know the FEH is supposed to get better mileage in the city vs highway, but our's is doing the opposite.

2005 2wd FEH - gets low 30mpg in local conditions - most trips around town are less than 2 miles for each segment - try to combine all errands into one outing. Able to get into "stealth mode" within first 1 to 1.5 miles, then less than 1/2 mile each new start up on errand trip. Speed limit through area is 30 - 35 so real easy to stay within range, lightly increasing pressure on the gas after stops and up hills.

On the highway, driving 65mph, I'm doing close to 40mpg now. If I run a/c I drop to 37, but I'm still way above highway estimates.

Anyone have any idea how I can improve city mileage and still keep the highway numbers?

Thanks,

Old 07-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Site Founder
Default Re: City vs Highway mpg

I find it much easier to get high mileage on the highway, as well. However, this is more of a logic issue than it is math. When one drives on the highway, they're naturally headed to destinations farther away. Trip time is likely longer, meaning the engine is warmer for a longer period of time. I don't think it has to do with city mileage being less than expected.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have noticed a huge difference in the mileage my wife gets in the '05 FEH versus what I get when I drive it. The major difference is that my commute to work is about 24 miles that is done in one stretch. Her driving is mainly local trips where the engine doesn't get warm and stay there. I appears that the first few minutes running a cold engine are really pulling down the average.

I was stuck in horrible traffic yesterday and it killed my average for this tank, dropping it from 34+ to around 31 on the gauge. I also noticed the engine cycling a lot more than usual. I was kinda surprised because I wouldn't have thought it would run the ICE so often without the vehicle moving. All I had on was the radio and the headlights.

My highway mileage isn't as high as yours unfortunately, probably because I drive faster when I get onto the Interstate. Still no complaints though. Total mileage on both of them (both are FWD only) is still well over 30.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:52 PM
FEH Advocate
Question Re: City vs Highway mpg

From frequently asked questions about the EPA fuel economy:
www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/info.shtml

The test used to determine the city fuel economy estimate simulates an 11-mile, stop-and-go trip with an average speed of 20 mph. The trip takes 31 minutes and has 23 stops. About 18% of the time is spent idling, as in waiting at traffic lights or in rush hour traffic. The engine is initially started after being parked overnight.

The test used to determine highway driving simulates a 10-mile trip and averages 48 mph. The maximum speed is 60 mph. The test is run with the engine warmed up and has little idling time and no stops.

After driving the FEH for several months, it is hard for me to imagine how the EPA got higher MPG for city test over the highway test, especially if it was a new FEH.

- City test is with cold engine and average speed is low, a case where I get worse MPG.

- The highway test has warmed-up engine and averages 48MPH, which seems to be in FEH “sweet” spot for getting best fuel economy (and there is no wind drag in EPA test).

Even when considering the EPA city estimate is lowered by 10% and the highway estimate by 22% from the laboratory test results, it still does not make sense.

Reading posts from others at several FEH group sites, it appears almost all of us get better fuel economy on the highway than we do in city driving. There are of course exceptions of those who drive long stretches at 35-45MPH, but that is closer to the EPA highway test than it is to the city test.

Old 07-07-2005, 04:45 PM

My 2G Prius, which is a hybrid sibling to your FEH, gets around 45 -55 mpg in the city when my wife drives, and 60 - 70 mpg when I drive.

Most of the difference, IMO, is my anticipatory driving (less brake use) style, and not hybrid techniques per se.

We both get 50 - 55 mpg on the highway.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:58 AM
Happy Owner
Wink Re: City vs Highway mpg

What a relief to know it's not something wrong with me or the car - rather with the testing standard. I'll take the 40 mpg on the highway now since I've got a few trips down the coast later this month. This weekend is a roundtrip to NY, next week is a DC trip and then early August is VA.

I'm working on improving my city mileage also by not driving to the store or coffee shop . I walk or ride my bike on these trips (1mile +/-). If that doesn't fix the city mileage I don't know what will . When I do drive around town, I'm the annoying person who leaves 2 car lengths between me and the one in front, who never uses the brake for a traffic light since I can coast to it and takes the longest time to leave the stop so I can stay in EV.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:08 AM

C&J, you are going to do great.

Just remember to eat a cookie when you go for your coffee. That bicycle riding will wear you down to nothin. Don't believe me ? Check out those TDF folk

Old 07-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Granted mine is still only just over a month old, but so far, I'm getting quite the reverse.

I'm now averaging 35-40 doing city driving, and 25-30 expressway. Of course, I've already learned that some of the highways here in Michigan aren't very well designed, and rather old. For example, going West on I-696, the average goes up on a long trip, to over 33 average. Going East on I-696, making the return trip, because of the slant and road qualities, drops to 28 or so. I set the cruise control to 65 and relax, so it's not a speed difference.