Color change of Compass reading

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 07:06 AM
Enthusiast
Default Color change of Compass reading

I couldn't find anything about this in the FEH manual. Anyone know why the compass reading changes color in the Nav System?? It will change from yellow to red to white. Most of the time it is white however. What is this telling me?

Old 07-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Early Adopter
Default Re: Color change of Compass reading

GPS versus internal compass versus inertial guidance, I believe.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast

I think that indicates GPS signal strength.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Orange (or red, I think it is more orange) = No GPS lock using dead recononing only

Yellow = GPS 2D Lock (2 or 3 Sat)

White = GPS 3D Lock (4 or more sat)

Old 07-22-2005, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mppkll
Yellow = GPS 2D Lock (2 or 3 Sat)
That would be 3 sats ... I'm pretty sure that GPS's can't calculate a position with less than 3.

btw: Do you know what 'dead recononing' means? "If you don't get it right, I reckon you're dead"

Actually, it's 'ded reckoning' ... or DEDuced Reckoning. Based on a known previous position + course + speed, you can deduce your current position.

david

Old 07-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmgibbs
That would be 3 sats ... I'm pretty sure that GPS's can't calculate a position with less than 3.

I have been working with Motorola & Garmen GPS units while designing autonomous vehicles for the IGVC completion and I know that those units need at least 3 sats, maybe Visteon is changing color with 2 sats to show signal reception. Not sure, but I got the info from a reliable contact.

btw: Do you know what 'dead recononing' means? "If you don't get it right, I reckon you're dead"

LOL!!

Actually, it's 'ded reckoning' ... or DEDuced Reckoning. Based on a known previous position + course + speed, you can deduce your current position.

I've always seen it as "dead reckoning" ( I won't mention that I spelled reckoning wrong )

Webster has this ...

Main Entry: dead reckoning
Function: noun
1 : the determination without the aid of celestial observations of the position of a ship or aircraft from the record of the courses sailed or flown, the distance made, and the known or estimated drift

Last edited by mppkll; 07-22-2005 at 02:03 PM. Reason: remove spaces
Old 07-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Enthusiast

I have been working with Motorola & Garmen GPS units while designing autonomous vehicles for the IGVC completion and I know that those units need at least 3 sats, maybe Visteon is changing color with 2 sats to show signal reception. Not sure, but I got the info from a reliable contact.
When it has two sats it's pretty close to getting a third, so that would be a reasonable indication of 'power'. Not precise, but adequate.

Webster has this ...

Main Entry: dead reckoning
Many moons ago, when I was into sailing, all the navigation books I had always referred to it as 'ded reckoning'. The nautical literature is probably using the historic spelling, Webster is probably using the conventional spelling.

Doesn't really mater that much.