Considering a 2010 MMH, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default Considering a 2010 MMH, have a few questions

Im coming from the prius C, and as a hybrid, i'd say its impressively engineered. I love the center display for speed and the eco bar. Completely changed my driving habits and I get 50MPG easy. Now, I need more space and 4wd, so FEH/MMH it is. I've test driven pre 2007s. No stability/traction control, I need it for snow. A 2008, with the aux a/c for the battery and still no stability control. 2009s and now 2010 and 2012.

What I have noticed is that I DO miss the eco bar and battery info display from the prius. The FEH/MMH with the nav helps because they do have something similar but still not as good. More over the pre 2009's graphics look like poop. I found a MMH 2010 with navigation leather everything at 40k miles local to me. Have a few hybrid specific questions:

1. In the prius with the eco bar I can see exactly how much brake to apply to get maximum charge without engaging the physical brake pads. Is there such an indicator for the FEH/MMH? Thats almost the REASON i like hybrids - the regenerative braking.

2. On the prius eco bar, which pretty much shows throttle response, there is a line in the middle - the eco line, which shows the most efficient throttle for the engine. What would be the RPM equivalent on the FEH?

3. On the prius, its super easy for me to know how to get it into pure EV mode and stay there - If my throttle is below the eco line and I'm driving under 40mph, I'm pretty much in EV. Go over the line and the gas engine comes on. How can I achieve the same in the FEH?

4. At least the FEH nav screen does show me the battery level. Better than nothing, but the dang thing is so low on the dash. In the prius I keep my eyes on the road and the eco bar and the speed at the same time, but with the FEH I have to look down. I do have a scan guage II but dont know how to use it yet. Any links specific for the FEH that shows me how to program my SGII and teaches me how to use it?

5. Because the NAV has hybrid info display etc, I dont want to change it out to an after market deck. Which is a big shame, because factory GPSs are usually wildly outdated and pathetic. I guess I will use my phone for GPS, but for music, is there a line-out at the back for connecting aftermarket amps for speakers and subs?

6. And finally, probably the most import question - what should I watch out for in buying a used 2010 MMH? ANything specific i should test/look at? What components/systems are prone to failure? I already know that its part of the power steering recall. I want to drive this thing to 300k+ miles!

Old 02-18-2015, 07:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Considering a 2010 MMH, have a few questions

Originally Posted by blamus
Im coming from the prius C, and as a hybrid, i'd say its impressively engineered. I love the center display for speed and the eco bar. Completely changed my driving habits and I get 50MPG easy. Now, I need more space and 4wd, so FEH/MMH it is. I've test driven pre 2007s. No stability/traction control, I need it for snow. A 2008, with the aux a/c for the battery and still no stability control. 2009s and now 2010 and 2012.

What I have noticed is that I DO miss the eco bar and battery info display from the prius. The FEH/MMH with the nav helps because they do have something similar but still not as good. More over the pre 2009's graphics look like poop. I found a MMH 2010 with navigation leather everything at 40k miles local to me. Have a few hybrid specific questions:

1. In the prius with the eco bar I can see exactly how much brake to apply to get maximum charge without engaging the physical brake pads. Is there such an indicator for the FEH/MMH? Thats almost the REASON i like hybrids - the regenerative braking.

2. On the prius eco bar, which pretty much shows throttle response, there is a line in the middle - the eco line, which shows the most efficient throttle for the engine. What would be the RPM equivalent on the FEH?

3. On the prius, its super easy for me to know how to get it into pure EV mode and stay there - If my throttle is below the eco line and I'm driving under 40mph, I'm pretty much in EV. Go over the line and the gas engine comes on. How can I achieve the same in the FEH?

4. At least the FEH nav screen does show me the battery level. Better than nothing, but the dang thing is so low on the dash. In the prius I keep my eyes on the road and the eco bar and the speed at the same time, but with the FEH I have to look down. I do have a scan guage II but dont know how to use it yet. Any links specific for the FEH that shows me how to program my SGII and teaches me how to use it?

5. Because the NAV has hybrid info display etc, I dont want to change it out to an after market deck. Which is a big shame, because factory GPSs are usually wildly outdated and pathetic. I guess I will use my phone for GPS, but for music, is there a line-out at the back for connecting aftermarket amps for speakers and subs?

6. And finally, probably the most import question - what should I watch out for in buying a used 2010 MMH? ANything specific i should test/look at? What components/systems are prone to failure? I already know that its part of the power steering recall. I want to drive this thing to 300k+ miles!

You had several replies at the other Escape Forum. The MECS pump is an known issue. Brake tone rings will crack at 50,000 miles or so. The stability control issue on the pre-2009 models is an non-issue.