Considering Escape - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Considering Escape - Questions

I am seriously considering buying the Ford Escape but I have a couple of questions. First, I live in Vermont and I was curious if anyone has cold weather experience with the hybrid (temperatures in the -20 deg F range)? Secondly, Consumer Reports does not recommend the Escape due to tip ups noted in government roll over testing. Does anyone have any comments on this?

Old 06-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Site Founder
Default Re: Considering Escape - Questions

In extremely cold weather your car will take longer to get the hybrid system working, so your mileage will definitely be lower. So, the benefits of the hybrid version won't be as great. You'll still have increased fuel economy over the non-hybrid, however. Can't comment on the rollover, sorry

Old 06-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

My experiance in sub-freezing temps is good, but I have no experiance with sub-zero. I know Ford tested them in Northern Cananda in winter. The FEH handles ice very well in my view.

The roll over issue is insane. It handles very well and does not seem to have any roll over tendancy. I did grow up driving trucks and jeeps so I know how to drive a high center of gravity vehicle and the FEH handles much more like a car than any truck or SUV I have driven.

I believe the FEH sits slightly lower than a standard escape, if so it is more stable than the normal version.

Chris Brown

Old 06-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

The best place I have found for the safety aspect is a government link below. I used this some time ago for an article that is published on another website (I can send you email a PDF if you want a copy - email me). For 2005 the FEH got 3 stars vs. 4 stars for the other hybrids which were not high clearance SUVs. It is not a biggie.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/ncap/

Hope this helps.

Mike

Old 06-03-2005, 03:36 AM
Enthusiast

Mike, thanks for the reply and the website link. I am not overly concerned because, as another responder noted, I am not an aggressive driver. I have test driven the FEH and was impressed with how it handled.

Old 06-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have had the FEH (FWD) for a couple months now and have noticed that now that the weather has FINALLY warmed up around here, my average mph has gone up by about 1 to 1.5. I only have 4000 miles on it so it is tough to tell if it is due to the warmer weather or just the vehicle being broken in. My lifetime average mpg according to the gauge is 32.1 mpg.

I also have an '04 Escape with the V-6 and the Hybrid will outhandle it any day. Both are FWD only. The only handling problem I have seen is if you accelerate heavily from a stop with the wheels turned (like changing lanes in traffic)- major torque steer when the gas engine kicks in. Once you know to expect it, no problem.

Old 06-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Enthusiast

We ordered a 2006 Escape on Thursday... the salesman said it would be 6-8 weeks... I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by tdmsu
We ordered a 2006 Escape on Thursday... the salesman said it would be 6-8 weeks... I'll keep you posted.

Oh, you're going to join the club? Congrats!

As for myself, I'm still wowed by it. My MPG is shooting up, the more I drive it, and I'm also adapting to it faster than I thought.

Living in Michigan, I'm expecting my efficiency to drop when winter rolls around, a small price to pay, I think.

Old 06-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Enthusiast

I'm brand-spankin new to this forum, and am considering getting a FEH to use as a security patroller. The constant stop-go stop-go at <10mph seems to be an ideal use for a hybrid. It's also good to hear that it does well in the winter.

Old 06-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Firemothjoe:

___The following articles might be of particular interest to you? I am in contact with my corporations Environment lead and the Escape HEV is one of the top picks in our discussions given the security driving style in particular.

FORD ESCAPE HYBRID SETS SUV MILEAGE RECORD IN 37-HOUR NON-STOP DRIVING TEST ON A TANK OF GAS
NEW YORK, APRIL 7, 2004 - After being driven non-stop for 37 hours as part of an extreme driving test throughout Manhattan, taking on traffic congestion, morning and evening rush hours, the all-new 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid traveled an amazing 576 miles on a single tank of gas during this epic drive. The Escape Hybrid, the world's first hybrid sport utility vehicle, averaged more than 38 miles per gallon.
Ford Motor Company Previews All-New 2005 Escape Hybrid at Lohas 8 Forum
Ford recently invited media and celebrities to drive the Escape Hybrid throughout Manhattan to determine how far it could go on one tank of gas through New York City's treacherous traffic. After 37 non-stop hours of driving, the Escape Hybrid traveled an astonishing 576 miles on 15 gallons of fuel with near zero emissions. "We proved that the Escape Hybrid will perform exceptionally well in the worst traffic imaginable with clean efficiency," said Martin Collins, general marketing manager, Ford Division. "As the most fuel efficient and cleanest SUV, we believe the Escape Hybrid complements the attitudes and values of LOHAS participants."
Escape Hybrid Takes on Manhattan Rush Hour
Ford enlisted the help of local New Yorkers who were asked to help identify five of the most congested, slowest moving roads leading into the city during morning rush hour traffic. More than 1,000 people voted online at a specially designated Web site. Tuesday morning, five Escape Hybrids put the toughest routes to the test.

And the winner was: Route 78 into the Holland Tunnel from Jersey City. It proved to be the absolute worst place to be during rush hour in the New York metro area, taking 40 minutes to drive 9.6 miles. But the real victor was the Escape Hybrid. Even driving under such demanding traffic conditions, the vehicle achieved double the fuel economy numbers of a conventional SUV.

The results were impressive, but not so surprising, according to Feuell who says that unlike other conventional vehicles, the Escape Hybrid performs best in stop-and-go traffic.

"When the driver is operating at lower speeds, such as 25 miles per hour or less, the gas engine actually shuts off, and the vehicle can propel itself in battery mode only," she said. "So, not only are you getting amazing fuel economy, but the regenerative braking system also works to recharge the battery while you're driving.

While putting the five finalist routes to the test, the Escape Hybrid had an average fuel economy of 36.4 miles per gallon and gave off virtually zero emissions. The miles per gallon ranged from 31.5 to 42.7 on the five vehicles. A typical SUV averages 16.5 miles per gallon in city driving and can't match the partial zero emissions level of the Escape Hybrid.
ROUND-TRIP
The Hybrid inched past Exit 25—Utopia Parkway!—and the race was on. 7:51 a.m. A display on the dash indicated that the car was averaging 42.6 miles per gallon. The speed was about five miles per hour.The windows were beginning to fog up, owing to the fact that Kroswek, to goose the mileage, had decided to forgo air-conditioning or heat. Feuell decided to find out how one of her colleagues was doing, in terms of fuel-economy optimization. On her cell phone she called Sheri Shapiro, who was at that moment creeping along the Connecticut Turnpike. “What are you guys running?” Feuell said. The readout on the dash went from 59.8 to “max.” “We’re on max!” Feuell said. Shapiro was at 34.8.
___If that doesn’t stoke the “I want a new car fire”, I don’t know what will

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Quick Reply: Considering Escape - Questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands