Considering an FEH here in Southern CA

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:52 AM
Ari
Enthusiast
Default Considering an FEH here in Southern CA

Hello everyone,

I'm considering an FEH to replace a Hondy Odyssey minivan (16.6 MPG.) I still have the following questions:

- Anyone recently buy an FEH in CA? I didn't see any rebates or specials available right now, would you mind giving me a ballpark estimate of what I would expect to pay? (There are a few Mazda Tribute Hybrids available around here but we probably won't get one because my wife didn't like the interior. The dealers are asking invoice+$500, but I'll bet I could get it for invoice because Mazda apparently has no plans to make any more... and that's another reason to stay away from the Tribute.)

- Does the FEH air conditioner keep running even when I'm at a stop light? When driving the Tribute I noticed the AC going cold-warm-cold. In my Prius it stays enabled no matter what.

Thanks!

- Ari

Last edited by Ari; 04-28-2008 at 06:56 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Considering an FEH here in Southern CA

Ari -

I believe the Escape, the Mariner, and the Tribute are all built on the same production line in Kansas City, Missouri. 90% (or more) of their mechanical parts are identical.

A/C - the FEH/MMH/MTH do not have the electric motor driven A/C compressor that can provide cooling while the vehicle is stopped and the internal combution engine is off. I believe the MTH has an A/C setting that will force the ICE to run, keep the interior cool, but pay a fuel efficiency penalty (non-hybrid cars suffer from reduced FE when running the A/C as well) Good Luck

Old 04-28-2008, 07:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Considering an FEH here in Southern CA

The MTH is identical in drivetrain to the FEH and MMH. The only differences in the models are aesthetic and base options. As for the options, I believe all three have the same options available.

As for the AC, there is an Econ button that, when enabled, allows the ICE to turn off and allow EV only travel. If the ECON mode is not enabled the ICE will continue to run and the AC will function as with any non-hybrid (cold air all the time with reduced FE). If the ECON mode is enabled, the fan will continue to circulate air but the active cooling from the AC system is not active (warmer air during EV).

The Econ mode is a compromise that allows the EV mode but still provides cool air between stops.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ari

- Anyone recently buy an FEH in CA? I didn't see any rebates or specials available right now, would you mind giving me a ballpark estimate of what I would expect to pay? (There are a few Mazda Tribute Hybrids available around here but we probably won't get one because my wife didn't like the interior. The dealers are asking invoice+$500, but I'll bet I could get it for invoice because Mazda apparently has no plans to make any more... and that's another reason to stay away from the Tribute.)
Thanks!

- Ari
If you can hang on until the fall, the 2008s will be discounted as the improved 2009 models are introduced. However, demand has been strong as gas prices rise. You might want to consider one of the big LA area dealers which have big inventories. Some dealers may be able to give you Ford X-plan (invoice) pricing, and you'll need to look this up on the internet for more info. Tributes and Mariners will generally have good incentives on them, as they are less popular than Escapes. Happy shopping!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ari
Hello everyone,

I'm considering an FEH to replace a Hondy Odyssey minivan (16.6 MPG.) I still have the following questions:

- Does the FEH air conditioner keep running even when I'm at a stop light? When driving the Tribute I noticed the AC going cold-warm-cold. In my Prius it stays enabled no matter what.

Thanks!

- Ari
I got mine from Galpin in North Hills, they had around 40 on the lot. Not sure what kind of deal they could give you. I got a good price because I am a repeat customer. There are no incentives.

My salesman steered me away from the Mazda; he said they only made 500 of them and the dealer did not have a lot of maneuvering room (price-wise) on those. Besides, none had leather, which I wanted.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast

When buying a Ford product in LA metro area, ALWAYS look at Galpin Motors first. They are perennially the number one Ford dealer in the country. They have inventory and will work with you on the price. These guys probably have more FEH's their lot than any three other dealers combined.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Enthusiast

I'm in Nor Cal (Silicon Valley), and the local dealer was advertising $3000-4000 off MSRP on 2008s last week. This probably includes the $2000 Ford Factory cash back incentive. Ford also offers 0% financing. In So Cal, the inventory is almost totally front wheel drive. In Nor Cal, its about 50-50 FWD/4WD.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast

I'm in Nor Cal (Silicon Valley), and the local dealer was advertising $3000-4000 off MSRP on 2008s last week. This probably includes the $2000 Ford Factory cash back incentive. Ford also offers 0% financing. In So Cal, the inventory is almost totally front wheel drive. In Nor Cal, its about 50-50 FWD/4WD.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Ari
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for replying! We just bought a Black 06 FEH from a private party - Love it!

The new ones looked nice for sure, but the San Diego dealers seemed reluctant to deal. Hybrids are incredibly hot down here and even as I was waiting in line at the bank for the cashier's check, 2 of the 3 people ahead of me were talking about their new hybrids!

BTW, there were no cash back incentives down here on the FEH, only the gas Escape.