CVT operation diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default CVT operation diagram?

Can anyone point me to a diagram of operation for the CVT used in the FEH? I'd like to understand its operation in more detail. I understand basic CVT concepts, but specifics of the hybrid nature are not at all clear: How does the engine interface to the CVT; likewise for the electric motor; likewise for the AC unit; and how it is all controlled. Thanks for any info...RayP

Old 07-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CVT operation diagram?

"...how is it all controlled..?"

Black Magic, VERY Black Magic.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Old 07-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Very nice, thank you! RayP

Old 07-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Enthusiast

Here's a nice description and interactive animation of the eCVT components:
http://www.eahart.com/prius/psd/

Old 07-23-2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by RayP
Can anyone point me to a diagram of operation for the CVT used in the FEH? I'd like to understand its operation in more detail. I understand basic CVT concepts, but specifics of the hybrid nature are not at all clear: How does the engine interface to the CVT; likewise for the electric motor; likewise for the AC unit; and how it is all controlled. Thanks for any info...RayP
Keep in mind that the FEH is NOT a Toyota; most of the animations are for the Toyota HSD, which is similar in concept, but the FEH is an independently developed design.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Keep in mind that the FEH is NOT a Toyota; most of the animations are for the Toyota HSD, which is similar in concept, but the FEH is an independently developed design.
Yes, we know that Ford is not Toyota. Trouble is that sadly, Ford Corp. doesn't make much of anything public about their design.
Hush, hush it seems like.

But in reality, Ford's design isn't so "independent" as you say: the eCVT of a Ford hybrid is very similiar to a Toyota Prius, and Toyota makes lots of good info public, so that's what one has to refer to, now isn't it?

Actually, this is interesting, from Wikipedia, backing up my statement that yes, Ford is not Toyota,
but nevertheless, the Ford Escape Hybrid technology is very similiar to (if not a copy of) a Toyota Prius:

"The Escape Hybrid uses technology similar to that used in Toyota's Prius. Ford engineers realized their technology may conflict with patents held by Toyota, which led to a 2004 patent-sharing accord between the companies, licensing Ford's use of some of Toyota's hybrid technology[9] in exchange for Toyota's use of some of Ford's diesel and direct-injection engine technology.[10] Ford maintains that Ford received no technical assistance from Toyota in developing the hybrid powertrain, but that some hybrid engine technologies developed by Ford independently were found to be similar to technologies previously patented by Toyota, so licenses were obtained.[10] Aisin Seiki Co. Ltd., a Japanese automotive components supplier belonging to the Toyota Group, supplies the hybrid continuously variable transmission for the Escape Hybrid. While Toyota produces its third-generation Prius transmission in-house, Aisin is the only supplier of hybrid transmissions to other manufacturers."
Footnotes:
9. Wall Stree Journal Online - Toyota to License Hybrid Patents For Use by Ford - MARCH 9, 2004
10 "Ford Slams Toyota on Hybrids" - Reported by Christine Tierney, Detroit News, Aug 08 2005

Last edited by GeoMike; 07-23-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 AM

The Ford TwinForce engine is a perfect example of Ford engineering gone awry. Marketing has had to rebrand it "EcoBoost" so it can, maybe, be sold as green tinted SNAKE OIL

Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 AM

A set of shop manuals would be of help. They show the stuff clearly. There are cutaway pics available on the net such as the one I have attached.

The motor-generators in the transaxle are synchronous machines and can function either as a motor or as a generator. One of Ford's advances had to do with development of a very powerful permanent magnet for the rotor of each machine. This reduces complexity.

The smaller one, used usually as a generator, goes into the sun gear of the planetary gear set. The ICE goes into the planet set of gears. The larger of the synchronous machines goes into the ring gear which is also geared directly to the front axle.

The DC/AC unit that converts power from & to the battery along with sequencing the AC phases to drive speed & control the machines and its associated software was the real challenge. Ford did well.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
cutawayof transaxle.doc (1.02 MB, 544 views)
Old 07-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, Bill.
I just wish Ford would make information readily available on their own internet pages, like some other car companies do. I don't need nor want to buy shop manuals.

I tried to see your attachment, but no luck. I do have MS Word, but it attempts to open it, then says
"Quicktime and a decompressor are needed to see this picture"

... Since I'm not a tech guru type of person, I'll have to pass.

Quick Reply: CVT operation diagram?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands