Dash Daq mini-review

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Dash Daq mini-review

John (and others) expressed interest in my DashDaq so I thought I'd post some info about my install.

I picked up a SG-II a while back and upgraded it, but found out (like others) that it didn't work with many of the FEH x-gauges so picked up a DD ($535 from tunertools) and found out very quickly I also needed the Ford-Specific license ($95) if I was going to get some of the sensors I wanted. It came with a windshield mount, but when temps fell to -20°F this winter and it fell off the windshield, I picked up a ProClip mount and several adapters to move my Garmin and DD to a convenient spot.

I do have to lean to the right to see the driver's side temp, otherwise everything is just to the right of the steering wheel. FWIW, all the proclip adapters I have easily are $100, but like an erector set, are easy to work with with only a screw driver needed and are easily reconfigured.

On my main screen, upper right, you can see long-term fuel trim, short-term fuel trim, and coolant temp. On the left side high voltage battery voltage tells me nothing, load is a calculation of engine load and it sits between yellow and red in normal driving, just something I've been playing with. Next to it is spark advance, also just playing.

The analog gauge in the middle is a calculator, which needs to be configured, but it reads instantaneous mileage, based on MAF, speed, and other generic sensors (doesn't require the Ford license). It's easily tweaked.

On the bottom is wide-band o2 sensor lamba (a/f ratio) and one I use a lot in EV mode, high voltage battery current (Ford specific). I have this set so when the gauge reaches the right edge, the engine is about ready to start and when it's on the left, the battery charging due to engine braking. It's interesting to see this go back and forth when the battery is warming in cold weather.

The arrows on the bottom switch to different screens....

Attached Thumbnails Dash Daq mini-review-mount_side1.jpg   Dash Daq mini-review-mount_side.jpg   Dash Daq mini-review-screen1.jpg   Dash Daq mini-review-hv_battery_state_properties.jpg  
Old 03-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Default Re: Dash Daq mini-review

Here is the second screen I have set up:

Top left, engine speed, ATF temp, LTFT (again), manifold air pressure, wide band o2 sensor lambda (again), short term fuel trim (again), mass air flow and coolant temp. On the right is HV battery current (again).

There are about 5 or 6 screens, I'm only using the main one for now. Still waiting for them to figure out why SOC isn't detected and I've requested more trip computer features like the SG is so good at. Not ready to retire that any time soon.

Here is a list of Ford sensors. I think that list is out of date tho since I don't see SOC on that list, which should be a generic device.

Here is DashDaq's forum: http://www.dashdaq.com/forum/index.php

Attached Thumbnails Dash Daq mini-review-screen2.jpg   Dash Daq mini-review-ltft_properties.jpg  

Last edited by colchiro; 03-07-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Here are the Pro clip adapters I have used:

Ford Escape center mount ('08-'10) link

Quick release for DD link

Garmin Nuvi adapter link

Horizontal extension plate link

Offset tilt swivel (for DD) link

I recently added this adapter to move things closer to the steering wheel and make seeing the vehicles status area easier: link. This did make the whole unit bounce a bit more but I think I can add a little support leg off the left side and have that contact the dash.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Thanks! Keep the info and pictures coming!

FYI in my 2005 FEH I get a check engine light when LTFT exceeds +/- 28%.

You may wish to set your "alarms" to +/- 25% to warn you, if you are using ethanol.

The car kept running well after I exceeded 28%.
I put in some straight gas to dilute the ethanol, and in one restart, the check engine lamp went away.

LTFT is a pretty good way to monitor ethanol use.
Look for about 3.5% gain in trim for each 10% ethanol.
I should say, look for 3.5% above what is "normal" for your elevation, as air also affects LTFT.

Last edited by gpsman1; 03-07-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:29 AM

I didn't see a CEL until LTFT was in the 30's, but that was with daytime temps around -10°F.

Alarms are new in this latest version. Haven't played with them yet.

Was disappointed that the octane sensor did not change at all with E%.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

What about data logging and looking at trends?
Like battery temp vs. amps.
If you can config a HV battery temp gauge, you will find that very helpful.
I look at that one all the time.

The A/C compressor will turn on and lower your MPG if the battery gets above 86'F. And this can occur on a 40 degree day with lots of stop n go.
It will keep the A/C on until the battery drops below about 75 degrees.
I just learned that you can interrupt this cycle, with a key off and back on.
Then you can turn the A/C off at say, 85 degrees, but you're 1 degree away from kicking it back on... but I find this can be a benfit if I'm just about to get on a highway, and know the battery won't be generating more heat.

The one time my A/C came on for the battery pack while highway driving was when I was towing a 2000 pound trailer. I hadn't really noticed, but the car was using battery assist on every gentle rise in the road, and my battery got hot on a 60 degree day on the highway!

Old 03-07-2009, 12:09 PM

Here is the last posted Ford-specific specs: http://www.dashdaq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=340
and last update: http://www.dashdaq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=605

No mention of HV battery temp or I would have added that. I added Battery Pack voltage, but that never changes, just sits at 300+ volts. OTOH, it is possible to add a calculated value like HV battery/330 and display as a % or just display a range like setting a minimum value of 300 and maximum of 350 and display that as a gauge. They also have user posted skins and a skin editor. My screens are a variation of a standard screen, but the fonts are bigger.

Was told the generic (free) sensors were supposed to show some hybrid stuff (like SOC), but they're still trying to figure out why it doesn't work for me. If someone lives in their area (Detroit, MI) and is willing to lend them the use of your FEH for a few hours, I suspect they'd REALLY appreciate that. We all know how much FEH-specific hybrid stuff got added to the SG from user info here.

FWIW, there's a link on their forum to this one so hopefully we can give them some feedback.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Any feedback on the ethanol % readings?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:35 PM

Just what I gave you before.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Enthusiast

I am in the Detroit area and just sent them an email volunteering my 2008 FEH.

It looks like a very well thought out device. It runs Linux for those of you that care about such things

Quick Reply: Dash Daq mini-review

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands