Daytime running Lights and Smart Junction Box

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Daytime running Lights and Smart Junction Box

I have read that its possible to program the SJB to activate the Daytime Running Lights. Has anyone been able to get their dealer to do this? I have called all the dealers in my area and they say its impossible.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Daytime running Lights and Smart Junction Box

I'm getting the same response from my dealer. His techs tell him you can't do it. I would certainly like to have DRL's but I'm not haveing any luck either.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bg1811
I'm getting the same response from my dealer. His techs tell him you can't do it. I would certainly like to have DRL's but I'm not haveing any luck either.
I thought someone else on here had it done.... have you searched other threads?

If not then it might be true. Its wrong to assume its just a switch that you flip or a bit that is changed. If its a bit thats different you probably have to reflash the firmware entirely to do it. That brings up the real possiblity that there would likely be two entirely different firmwares, one for the US and one for Canada; the Canadian one having DRL. The problem with that scenario would be that Canada and the US probably have different emissions requirements that and those might require different constants to be loaded in the engine control module. If thats the case they might not be allowed to flash a US car with Canadian firmware.

Thats all hypothetical, but I just wanted to point out that we can't assume the dealers aren't telling the truth, lazy whatever. If someone did get it done its even possible they found a dealer that was willing to let it slide. There could be several explainations.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
I thought someone else on here had it done.... have you searched other threads?

If not then it might be true. Its wrong to assume its just a switch that you flip or a bit that is changed. If its a bit thats different you probably have to reflash the firmware entirely to do it. That brings up the real possiblity that there would likely be two entirely different firmwares, one for the US and one for Canada; the Canadian one having DRL. The problem with that scenario would be that Canada and the US probably have different emissions requirements that and those might require different constants to be loaded in the engine control module. If thats the case they might not be allowed to flash a US car with Canadian firmware.

Thats all hypothetical, but I just wanted to point out that we can't assume the dealers aren't telling the truth, lazy whatever. If someone did get it done its even possible they found a dealer that was willing to let it slide. There could be several explainations.
I took a look in the workshop manual under DLR and hears what it says about installing a new smart junction box:

"When installing a new smart junction box (SJB), it must be reconfigured for this feature if originally equipped".

It does appear from comparing the '05 wiring diagrams in both the regular Escape and the FEH, both are the same. Also, under the FEH wiring manual, there are two DLR pages of the wiring. The language in the manual "if originally equipped" is what prevents the dealer from reconfiguring the SJB.

My '05 FEH came with autolocks, but is was not suppose to. It caused a burning smell problem and then stopped working along with the key unlock feature when you shut and lock the doors with the key in the ignition. The Tech refused to reprogram the autolock feature, but fixed (programmed) the unlock feature and it works fine.

As you know, the EPA ratings and the fact that the lights would use more generator power may be an issue here. Can't say for sure, but I do know the Tech was very serious when he said he was not going to reprogram my autolocks.

GaryG

Old 01-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, there were a few folks with other fords with SJB's that have had it done. I.E. Ford 500, The response that makes it questionable is that they are saying that it isn't programmable on ANY car, and there seems to be direct evidence to the contrary...

Old 01-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast

I'm going out a limb a little bit, but, I don't think the Mercury brand exist in Canada anymore.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bg1811
I'm going out a limb a little bit, but, I don't think the Mercury brand exist in Canada anymore.

But Ford does, and I would suspect they source a single sjb...

Old 01-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

check out the mods forum at www.escape-central.com I know there have been several discussions about adding DRL's and several users who have had it done.

Old 02-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Daytime running lamps are possible.
What I do not know is if there would be a charge for doing it. Probably, yes.

Quote from Ford when I emailed them Jan. 30, 2006:

"DRLs are known as a "programmable parameter" which can
simply be turned on or off by the dealer. This particular feature is
programmable since some markets (Canada) require that DRLs be active, yet
others do not. Why aren't DRLs active on every Hybrid that's shipped? 1)
The slight electrical load negatively impacts fuel economy ever so
slightly and 2) some customers simply do not want them."

-John

Old 02-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast

OK, I hope you're correct, but, how do we get around the dealer's service people saying it can't be done?

Quick Reply: Daytime running Lights and Smart Junction Box

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands