Dealer doesn't do proper scheduled maint?

Old 03-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Hybrid Lover
Default Dealer doesn't do proper scheduled maint?

Okay, I've been going round and round with my dealer today, because we had the Escape Hybrid in for the 20,000 mi scheduled maintenance, and also I'm still dealing with this issue of the rear brake squeal that is related to the parking brake. The reason I'm upset is because every time I've called to make an appointment I ask, "Now you have a tech that is specifically a hybrid tech, right?" and they say yes. So last week when I kept trying to get them to check the parking brake and clean it up, and had to tell them about the rear brakes not being used as much as on a regular ESCAPE, I asked why the tech working on my vehicle had not run across this problem, since he is a hybrid tech. Well, today I realized why, since I found out a Hybrid tech has never worked on my vehicle. They give it to a lube and oil tech when it's just scheduled maintenance.

The reason I found out is I was looking at the scheduled maint. in the Hybrid manual and saw where an AC filter for the high voltage battery should be checked at 10K and replaced at 20K. So I called the dealer to find out for sure whether that was replaced. Of course, they didn't know anything about it and it hadn't been checked. And to be replaced, it would be $140.00. Now, I scheduled 20k mile maintenance for an Escape Hybrid. I was charged for a 20k mile maintenance, and now I learn it was not done. I got 20k mile maint for a regular Escape.

I asked, "Why doesn't the hybrid tech know to check this, and to replace this as part of the 20k service?" Well, because the hybrid tech doesn't do sched. maint. Why is there not a separate maint. schedule for the hybrids? Why doesn't Ford Motor Co. inform the dealers better about this?

Now I'm supposed to pay $140 additional on top of the $100 I just paid for scheduled maint? And why did I have to insist several times before they would even check and clean the brakes, when I am reading in the 20k sched. that it's something they should be doing anyway?

Sorry for the rant...I'm just frustrated.

Last edited by Little Man Hybrid; 03-03-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Dealer doesn't do proper scheduled maint?

Gee I think I paid $27.00 for that AC filter in the rear last time I had it done. And I don't believe the dealer even charged me for the install.... $140 Sounds like someone is being taken advantage of.

John

Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Hybrid Lover

Yeah, they also told me the part was $39 and they didn't suggest I did it myself, since it's messing around with that "big battery you got in the back". But after checking around, I see you can get the part for about $15, and I'll probably swap it out myself.

My big question is why wasn't this included with my 20k sched. maint? It's in the manual that it should be changed at 20k, so why doesn't the dealer, or Ford, for that matter, offer a separate scheduled maint. plan for the Hybrids?

Old 03-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Little Man Hybrid
Yeah, they also told me the part was $39 and they didn't suggest I did it myself, since it's messing around with that "big battery you got in the back". But after checking around, I see you can get the part for about $15, and I'll probably swap it out myself.

My big question is why wasn't this included with my 20k sched. maint? It's in the manual that it should be changed at 20k, so why doesn't the dealer, or Ford, for that matter, offer a separate scheduled maint. plan for the Hybrids?
There is.... most dealerships are too lazy to pay attention to it. As for messing with the big battery.... um... you pop off a cover up on the left side quarter panel about halfway up. If thats messing with the big battery better not open the tailgate. He's full of it. Similar to the dealership that wanted to charge me $200 to check the code on my computer.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Dude... you need to try another dealer.

The paper battery A/C filter should be $15 to $25 bucks, tops.
It takes less than 2 minutes to change, takes zero tools or skill and does not touch anything electrical at all.
Plus take it out and look at it. If it is not dirty, put it back in. It is not mandatory to change at 20k.

In general with hybrids YOU NEED TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for everything, because MOST dealers are dumb when it comes to hybrid.
You will always need to baby them and hold their hand through everything.

When my A/C went bad ( a freon leak ) in June, I was told the parts would be here in a week and I should come back then. I said you want me to keep driving it? They said "sure, driving the car with no A/C won't hurt anything." Well, they could not be more wrong... especially since I "hypermile" and use the battery more strongly than most... I heat the battery more than most.

After I explained the battery needs the A/C to work correctly, I got a free rental car ( a 2007 Fusion ) for a week. -John

Old 03-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

My 20k was done back in Sept '07, and the battery A/C filter was included. They did replace it. I just checked my service ticket and the part was $27 and $46 labor. Seems excessive for the labor, but the overall 20k was quite a bit less than a normal Escape.

I think this really depends on the dealer. Mine seems pretty good about the Hybrid on the service side. They knew there were separate maintenance requirements for the 20k.

-- Rick

Old 03-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Hybrid Lover

Yes, see, that is what I had read, that the Hybrid service might be cheaper than the regular Escape service. So what is the difference? What do they do for a regular Escape that they don't need to do for the Hybrid? And so I paid $90 for a 20k service that was basically an oil change and tire rotation. I had to insist until they also inspected and cleaned the rear brakes and the parking brake mechanism.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Hybrid Lover

Originally Posted by rmcmast
My 20k was done back in Sept '07, and the battery A/C filter was included. They did replace it. I just checked my service ticket and the part was $27 and $46 labor. Seems excessive for the labor, but the overall 20k was quite a bit less than a normal Escape.

I think this really depends on the dealer. Mine seems pretty good about the Hybrid on the service side. They knew there were separate maintenance requirements for the 20k.

-- Rick
Rick, where in the KC area did you take yours for service? And how much did they charge for the 20k service? Thanks,
Darin

Old 03-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

You're right to ask, the dealer definately seems to be taking advantage of you. I had mine maintained and the oil change, tire rotations, air filter replacements (both engine and HVB), and all the other inspection and maintenance they do (fill the washer fluid, etc.) only set me back about $80 total as I recall. In fact, it may have even been closer to $60, I'd have to check.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Rick, where in the KC area did you take yours for service? And how much did they charge for the 20k service? Thanks,
Darin
Darin,

I had it done at Gary Crossley Ford in Liberty. The entire service was $144. I switched to 100% synthetic oil which made it a little higher.

-- Rick

Last edited by rmcmast; 03-03-2008 at 02:59 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer doesn't do proper scheduled maint?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands