Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/dealer-trying-convince-me-drain-fill-cvt-yearly-27579/)

hondarider90 01-31-2012 08:11 AM

Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly

I just picked up a 2008 4wd with just under 105k miles. I planned on getting the cvt drained and filled just because I don't know the full service history of the vehicle and for the simple fact that almost every other cvt out there demands service before this many miles. I read this forum a lot before I bought it so I know some say not to change it at all but I'm a little old school with my cars. Anyways, has anyone ever heard of someone saying a cvt needs new fluid every year or twice a year if towing? I haven't dealt with this dealer much since my last truck was a Chevy, but they seem to already be getting off on a very bad foot with me, so opinions?

wwest 01-31-2012 09:42 AM

Re: Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly

The FEH uses a PSD to "simulate" an actual CVT. The PSD, Power Spilt Device, uses 2 electric MGs, Motor/generators, and planetary gearsets. No clutchs, no frictional wear surfaces.

"ATF" should be good for the life of the vehicle.

cje2310 02-01-2012 08:22 AM

If the fluid doesnt look right and looks like a brown or black redish color you probably want to change it. It should be a cherry red color...I would change it regardless because you are the new owner and that way you will know for a fact that it has been maintained.

wwest 02-01-2012 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by cje2310 (Post 240764)
If the fluid doesnt look right and looks like a brown or black redish color you probably want to change it. It should be a cherry red color...I would change it regardless because you are the new owner and that way you will know for a fact that it has been maintained.

Methinks you are referring to regular ATF, not the "lub" in the PSD. Plus which, I don't think there is a provision to check for the fluid condition other than via the drain plug.

And...ATF = cherry PINK, and mostly transparent.

Pink, as in the juice in a bottle of maraschino cherries.

hondarider90 02-01-2012 11:45 AM

From what I have heard wwest you don't actually own an Escape Hybrid at all, so in the future please refrain from posting on my threads. That being said it does in fact use automatic transmission fluid because at least one of the components requires the use of it. On top of that it can be checked because there is a level check hole, doesn't take a whole lot of ingenuity to put something white in there and check the color and also check the smell to see if it's burning.

wwest 02-01-2012 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by hondarider90 (Post 240772)
From what I have heard wwest you don't actually own an Escape Hybrid at all, so in the future please refrain from posting on my threads. That being said it does in fact use automatic transmission fluid because at least one of the components requires the use of it. On top of that it can be checked because there is a level check hole, doesn't take a whole lot of ingenuity to put something white in there and check the color and also check the smell to see if it's burning.

But I do own a Prius which uses EXACTLY the same "CVT"(PSD) as does the FEH.

hondarider90 02-01-2012 01:14 PM

Clearly it is not exactly the same because they do not even use the same TYPE of fluid from you saying mine doesn't take ATF, either that or you're wrong about your Prius. Either way the Escape Hybrid uses ATF and I would rather just hear from people that know about the Escape hybrid specifically, if I wanted general information about hybrids I would not be on a model specific section of the forum.

wwest 02-01-2012 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by hondarider90 (Post 240734)
I just picked up a 2008 4wd with just under 105k miles. I planned on getting the cvt drained and filled just because I don't know the full service history of the vehicle and for the simple fact that almost every other cvt out there demands service before this many miles. I read this forum a lot before I bought it so I know some say not to change it at all but I'm a little old school with my cars. Anyways, has anyone ever heard of someone saying a cvt needs new fluid every year or twice a year if towing? I haven't dealt with this dealer much since my last truck was a Chevy, but they seem to already be getting off on a very bad foot with me, so opinions?

"..simple fact that every other cvt out there demands service before this many miles..."

Your statement implied, clearly implied, a lack of knowledge of the differing types of CVT's currently available in the marketplace. I have little doubt that a "conventional" CVT would require service, ATF or no, on some defined interval.

On the other hand the PSD type with no clutches, drive belts, etc, is unlikely to need service for the life of the vehicle. And as you were so kind to point out, checking the condition, level, color, dirty, burned, is not nearly as simple as with a conventional automatic transmission having a dipstick.

Speaking of which are you aware that most modern cars now come from the factory absent a dipstick...?

wwest 02-01-2012 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by hondarider90 (Post 240779)
Clearly it is not exactly the same because they do not even use the same TYPE of fluid from you saying mine doesn't take ATF, either that or you're wrong about your Prius. Either way the Escape Hybrid uses ATF and I would rather just hear from people that know about the Escape hybrid specifically, if I wanted general information about hybrids I would not be on a model specific section of the forum.

My Prius calls for ATF type T-IV, being a Ford I suspect the FEH requires the same ATF formulation but labelled "motorcraft".

wptski 02-01-2012 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by wwest (Post 240781)
Speaking of which are you aware that most modern cars now come from the factory absent a dipstick...?

Which dipstick comes absent from the factory?