Go Back  GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars > Hybrid Cars > Ford Motor Company > Ford Escape Hybrid
Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly >

Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly

Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly

  #1  
Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 AM
Active Enthusiast
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 91
Default Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly

I just picked up a 2008 4wd with just under 105k miles. I planned on getting the cvt drained and filled just because I don't know the full service history of the vehicle and for the simple fact that almost every other cvt out there demands service before this many miles. I read this forum a lot before I bought it so I know some say not to change it at all but I'm a little old school with my cars. Anyways, has anyone ever heard of someone saying a cvt needs new fluid every year or twice a year if towing? I haven't dealt with this dealer much since my last truck was a Chevy, but they seem to already be getting off on a very bad foot with me, so opinions?
 
  #2  
Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 1,678
Default Re: Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly

The FEH uses a PSD to "simulate" an actual CVT. The PSD, Power Spilt Device, uses 2 electric MGs, Motor/generators, and planetary gearsets. No clutchs, no frictional wear surfaces.

"ATF" should be good for the life of the vehicle.
 
  #3  
Old 02-01-2012, 08:22 AM
Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 24
Default Re: Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly

If the fluid doesnt look right and looks like a brown or black redish color you probably want to change it. It should be a cherry red color...I would change it regardless because you are the new owner and that way you will know for a fact that it has been maintained.
 
  #4  
Old 02-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 1,678
Default Re: Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly

Originally Posted by cje2310 View Post
If the fluid doesnt look right and looks like a brown or black redish color you probably want to change it. It should be a cherry red color...I would change it regardless because you are the new owner and that way you will know for a fact that it has been maintained.
Methinks you are referring to regular ATF, not the "lub" in the PSD. Plus which, I don't think there is a provision to check for the fluid condition other than via the drain plug.

And...ATF = cherry PINK, and mostly transparent.

Pink, as in the juice in a bottle of maraschino cherries.
 
  #5  
Old 02-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Active Enthusiast
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 91
Default Re: Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly

From what I have heard wwest you don't actually own an Escape Hybrid at all, so in the future please refrain from posting on my threads. That being said it does in fact use automatic transmission fluid because at least one of the components requires the use of it. On top of that it can be checked because there is a level check hole, doesn't take a whole lot of ingenuity to put something white in there and check the color and also check the smell to see if it's burning.
 
  #6  
Old 02-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 1,678
Default Re: Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly

Originally Posted by hondarider90 View Post
From what I have heard wwest you don't actually own an Escape Hybrid at all, so in the future please refrain from posting on my threads. That being said it does in fact use automatic transmission fluid because at least one of the components requires the use of it. On top of that it can be checked because there is a level check hole, doesn't take a whole lot of ingenuity to put something white in there and check the color and also check the smell to see if it's burning.
But I do own a Prius which uses EXACTLY the same "CVT"(PSD) as does the FEH.
 
  #7  
Old 02-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 91
Default Re: Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly

Clearly it is not exactly the same because they do not even use the same TYPE of fluid from you saying mine doesn't take ATF, either that or you're wrong about your Prius. Either way the Escape Hybrid uses ATF and I would rather just hear from people that know about the Escape hybrid specifically, if I wanted general information about hybrids I would not be on a model specific section of the forum.
 
  #8  
Old 02-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 1,678
Default Re: Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly

Originally Posted by hondarider90 View Post
I just picked up a 2008 4wd with just under 105k miles. I planned on getting the cvt drained and filled just because I don't know the full service history of the vehicle and for the simple fact that almost every other cvt out there demands service before this many miles. I read this forum a lot before I bought it so I know some say not to change it at all but I'm a little old school with my cars. Anyways, has anyone ever heard of someone saying a cvt needs new fluid every year or twice a year if towing? I haven't dealt with this dealer much since my last truck was a Chevy, but they seem to already be getting off on a very bad foot with me, so opinions?
"..simple fact that every other cvt out there demands service before this many miles..."

Your statement implied, clearly implied, a lack of knowledge of the differing types of CVT's currently available in the marketplace. I have little doubt that a "conventional" CVT would require service, ATF or no, on some defined interval.

On the other hand the PSD type with no clutches, drive belts, etc, is unlikely to need service for the life of the vehicle. And as you were so kind to point out, checking the condition, level, color, dirty, burned, is not nearly as simple as with a conventional automatic transmission having a dipstick.

Speaking of which are you aware that most modern cars now come from the factory absent a dipstick...?
 
  #9  
Old 02-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 1,678
Default Re: Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly

Originally Posted by hondarider90 View Post
Clearly it is not exactly the same because they do not even use the same TYPE of fluid from you saying mine doesn't take ATF, either that or you're wrong about your Prius. Either way the Escape Hybrid uses ATF and I would rather just hear from people that know about the Escape hybrid specifically, if I wanted general information about hybrids I would not be on a model specific section of the forum.
My Prius calls for ATF type T-IV, being a Ford I suspect the FEH requires the same ATF formulation but labelled "motorcraft".
 
  #10  
Old 02-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Imported from Detroit
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,051
Default Re: Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly

Originally Posted by wwest View Post
Speaking of which are you aware that most modern cars now come from the factory absent a dipstick...?
Which dipstick comes absent from the factory?
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer is trying to convince me to drain and fill cvt yearly


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.