Defroster wont start engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast
Default Defroster wont start engine

I just got my used 09 FEH late February. I noticed a week ago that the defroster didn't kick on the gas engine. Although it was nice keeping the fog off the windows w/out using gas, I knew something was wrong.

So yesterday at a light I turned on the A/C with econ off. It fired up the ICE. I then turned the A/C off, and the ICE shut off.

Now the defroster fires up the ICE always, which is how I thought it should be. I cannot get defroster on electric only.

Is there a way to run defroster without the gas engine coming on, or was there something wrong with my FEH?

Also, sometimes the brakes wont regen when braking. Seldom happens, but when it doesn't, I seem to be in the warm up stage. Is that normal?

Old 04-09-2011, 04:01 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Defroster wont start engine

Don't know about the defrost but the regen sounds normal,
Depends on the SOC and the battery temp.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:11 AM
Enthusiast

Sometimes I'll hit the brake, no regen, let up and hit again, and get regen.

All I can think is maybe the electric motor is spinning and just, in that instance, can't spin the other way.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2k3 Mach
I just got my used 09 FEH late February. I noticed a week ago that the defroster didn't kick on the gas engine. Although it was nice keeping the fog off the windows w/out using gas, I knew something was wrong.

So yesterday at a light I turned on the A/C with econ off. It fired up the ICE. I then turned the A/C off, and the ICE shut off.

Now the defroster fires up the ICE always, which is how I thought it should be. I cannot get defroster on electric only.

Is there a way to run defroster without the gas engine coming on, or was there something wrong with my FEH?

Also, sometimes the brakes wont regen when braking. Seldom happens, but when it doesn't, I seem to be in the warm up stage. Is that normal?
If the OAT is below ~35F the compressor circuit is disabled. An intermittently open OAT sensor, indicates -30F, will cause the compressor to be disabled and regen effort to be minimal.