Does cold affect FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Does cold affect FEH?

I currently have an '05 Escape XLT V6, and love it to pieces. However, I recently changed jobs and do a lot of city driving, so my MPG have dropped to 19.5 (on a good week). I'm looking into a hybrid, but have heard some questions arise on whether the cold adversely affects hybrid batteries. Has anybody experienced problems with cold? I live in Minnesota. Thank you.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Does cold affect FEH?

It doesn't hurt the batteries, but your mpg will drop drastically in very cold weather.

~John

Old 04-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Your mpg will drop quite a bit, but will still easily exceed the 19.5 your V6 is providing. Here's a plot of my mileage vs. temperature from 9/06 until now. The left Y axis is mpg and the right Y axis is ambient temperature.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brady
Your mpg will drop quite a bit, but will still easily exceed the 19.5 your V6 is providing. Here's a plot of my mileage vs. temperature from 9/06 until now. The left Y axis is mpg and the right Y axis is ambient temperature.

Hmmm. Does seem to correlate. The question is, does the lower temperature cause the lower mpg, or does the lower mpg cause the lower temperature ?

Cheers,

rcomeau

Old 04-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. Now, a related question--will I miss horribly my V6 if I get the hybrid or is it peppy enough? My only 4 cylinder experience was a Saturn coupe and I think a golf cart could have passed me in that.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

The hybrid performs as well as, if not better than, the V6 because the electric motor will combine with the 4-cyl to deliver maximum torque when needed.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Enthusiast

Peppy?

It is a 4 cyl but when all motors kick in it is surprising. >50 acceleration is typical for a 4 banger. My expectations were low so I'm very happy with acceleration at all levels.

The plus side is that just last night from Anderson, SC to home at 70+ mph (no flames please) I averaged 37.5 mph with mild (safe) drafting.

-R

Last edited by rdinatal; 04-13-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seattlemander
...When I take off from a light, I can squeal the tires if I want to. When I want to pass a slow truck on the Highway, I can punch it and get to 80 quickly if I want. It defrosts quickly. The stereo system will go as loud as I need it to. It handles bumpy stretches well. It drives in the snow like I would expect an SUV to drive. It is not overly loud in the cabin (but it gets louder with the back seat folded). When I am accelerating up a steep hill, it revs up higher than you might be used to (but, I'm told that is normal). When I filled the back with gravel, it still handled well.
Is this the kind of stuff you wanted?

-Scott
Here's what I wrote to somebody else about the abilities of the FEH. Sums up my feelings.

Scott

Old 04-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks again. It sounds like there's pretty much no reason not to get one. I love my Escape now, and to get one that will save me gas money and gets me a tax break seems a no-brainer.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast

The savings in gas is across the board, the tax savings is dependent upon your individual tax status. I was able to take advantage of $2600 for 2006 but others have differed...

If you like your v6 then you should be very satisfied with the Hybrid.

-R

Quick Reply: Does cold affect FEH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands