Dont forget about your 12V battery!

Old 11-09-2014, 04:11 AM
Enthusiast
Default Dont forget about your 12V battery!

I thought I would post this as a reminder of the importance to your MPG that the 12v battery has on the FEH. I looked through the archives anddidn’t see much about the 12v battery. I even read someone post that the FEH12v battery doesn’t effect your MPG. Most seasoned FEH owners know thatreducing your electrical load (head lights, blower motor, radio, etc.) willhelp your MPG, which is very true. Remember that the less RCM or reservecapacity your 12v battery has, the more frequently the ICE has to come back on to recharge itonce depleted again. It would be a good idea to have your 12v battery testedand make sure that it is in at least 95% health or better.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dont forget about your 12V battery!

Would it be a concern since the battery just power electronics, not the starter? The starter is powered by traction battery.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dont forget about your 12V battery!

Besides the concern akfonzy described, there are two other, perhaps more important aspects of a weak 12V battery in the FEH.

The first is that as the battery approaches end of life, various systems will go awry. They may not appear to be related to the battery, and so may result in costly but futile repairs.

The second is that although you are correct that the 12V battery does not start the FEH's engine directly, it has to have enough charge to close some relays that connect the hybrid battery so the start sequence can begin.

The fact the FEH does not display weaker starting as the 12V battery ages, disguises the battery's poor condition until it shows up as a more serious problem such as failing to start. So a pre-emptive replacement isn't a bad idea.