Don't sleep on the Highway fuel economy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Don't sleep on the Highway fuel economy!

I just came back from a weekend at the in-laws. My wife drove most of the way home so we won't talk about the overall trip average....

BUT

On the way up there I calculated my average FE to be 37MPG (NAV had me closer to 40). It was a 153 Mile trip in 50 degree weather on 99% highway driving. I managed to do a little bit of distant truck drafting on the trip. I drove at a nearly constant 65 MPH on the Turnpike and 50-60 on the "Parkways". I started with no charge and had almost half a charge left when I pulled in to their driveway.

(For those familiar, it was on the NJ turnpike and the Belt Parkway/Southern State Parkway out on Long Island)

Anyone who claims "Hybrids are no good on the highway" I beg to differ.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Don't sleep on the Highway fuel economy!

I'm with you Tim! At a constant 60 MPH I get about 42 MPG with Denver's thinner air ( less air drag ). So I think 37 MPG for you is very comparable.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tim K
I just came back from a weekend at the in-laws. My wife drove most of the way home so we won't talk about the overall trip average....

BUT

On the way up there I calculated my average FE to be 37MPG (NAV had me closer to 40). It was a 153 Mile trip in 50 degree weather on 99% highway driving. I managed to do a little bit of distant truck drafting on the trip. I drove at a nearly constant 65 MPH on the Turnpike and 50-60 on the "Parkways". I started with no charge and had almost half a charge left when I pulled in to their driveway.

(For those familiar, it was on the NJ turnpike and the Belt Parkway/Southern State Parkway out on Long Island)

Anyone who claims "Hybrids are no good on the highway" I beg to differ.
What!!!! Tim K doing a "little bit of distant truck drafting"!!! "started with no charge"!!!! Your hooked pal! Face it, you'll be a high rolling hypermiler in no time. Just don't let it go to your head like me, and take my advise, don't talk about the wife's driving either.

GaryG

Old 03-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's phenomenal Tim! I had a similiar road trip for Thanksgiving and averaged about 29. My wife wouldn't let me draft.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:46 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

That's excellent Tim...Good to know a regular driver can get that MPG! (although, since you admitted to drafting...you've just crossed over, I think

On the I-5 in California, I cant keep the 65pmh speed...I'll get run over by a semi doing 70, or a hummer doing 80 (and 12mpg I would bet).

And, yeah, my wife wouldnt let me draft either.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by occ
That's excellent Tim...Good to know a regular driver can get that MPG! (although, since you admitted to drafting...you've just crossed over, I think

On the I-5 in California, I cant keep the 65pmh speed...I'll get run over by a semi doing 70, or a hummer doing 80 (and 12mpg I would bet).

And, yeah, my wife wouldnt let me draft either.
Yea Occ, Tim's a cross over, not that there's anything wrong with that!

Last edited by GaryG; 03-05-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Majority of my driving is highway. My daily commute is approximately 30 miles round trip of divided hiway through open badland/prairie and make weekly trips of about 100 roundtrip miles to the nearest city center. I was just beginning to master the hiway when winter set in; the warm up required in winter sucks. I was averaging around 33-35mpg but this brought down due to wifey's short trips on my days off to her work in town (< 1mile no EV). I have no doubt that I will be able to improve that this year...I think if I am diligent and not running late for work too often I'll be up around the 40mpg mark soon myself. And I plan to pick up a HV battery warmer in the fall from a place called Big R's (?) in Montana...it's actually designed for dog beds but is the perfect size.

I would encourage anyone hesitant to draft to at least try following semi's at a safe 5sec or so distance. There is still considerable wind break at this distance and I notice quite a difference in lower rpms (2-300 or so). There also isn't much risk of getting rocks and crap thrown up into your windshield. The best advantage I find is having the semi in front of me keeps people who pass me from cutting me off and throwing rocks, etc.

HTH

Old 03-06-2007, 09:16 AM

For the record, it was DISTANT drafting. Especially with my wife and son in the car I'm not about to take any unneccessary risks of things flying through the windshield like a tire tread. You can even get the benefits if there is a car between you and the truck.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:39 AM

My last long highway trip, I only got around 29 MPG. Though, I used 287 in NJ. This was the weekend. So, there was little traffic. I was doing about 65 MPH (the speed limit) for almost all the trip (the little old ladies in their AMC Pacers all sped passed me ).

Did you use the cruse control? I did. Possibly, that was the mistake? I did notice that on the upgrades (hills), the cruise control wanted to rev the ICE up to over 3K RPM attempting to maintain an exact 65 MPH speed. I was wondering if that sucked up a lot of gas?

Old 03-07-2007, 06:12 AM
FEH Tsaritsa

Congratulations Tim - 37mpg on a highway trip is great! And in the Mariner, which is heavier (I think) than our FEH FWD's

My wife drove most of the way home so we won't talk about the overall trip average....
Smile when you say that, guys!

Quick Reply: Don't sleep on the Highway fuel economy!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands