Drafting

Old 10-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Owner
Question Drafting

Exactly how close are you hypermiling drafters getting the semi in front of you?

Thanks!

Sadie

Old 10-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Drafting

Remember in Driver's Ed they say don't eclipse your sight of the leading vehicle's rear bumper with the front of your car? When I draft - really draft - their bumper is practically under me. I'm pretty durn close.

Old 10-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast

I don't recommend drafting for everyone. It requires complete concentration and awareness. Talking on the cell phone while drafting is asking for trouble. Drafting at speeds greater than 65 MPH is also very dangerous.

Having said all that...

I prefer to draft about a two car lengths behind a semi-truck going less than 65 MPH.

Old 10-27-2005, 05:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

yeah, I'll take a car or 2. You need to be very focused (but not tunnel visioned) on that truck's lights while still scanning the sides and behind to ensure you have a bail out spot.

I also evaluate the truck as I come near it- do I see/hear pebbles or debris behind it? If so, I pass- I value my nice paint job and clear windshield.

As you move in you'll feel the car react- turbulence, then all of a sudden less turbulence (but still not smooth) and you may feel the engine come free a little bit as it no longer has to load up as much. That's when you are in the vacuum bubble.

Never "chase" a draft- Don't speed up just to catch a ride. Wait until you catch up to them naturally, then drop in behind.

There are other forms of drafting as well, but I've not seen a good explanation of how to position oneself to use them all.

Last edited by gonavy; 10-27-2005 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:24 PM

Hehe... I can read vin numbers.

Old 10-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by gonavy
yeah, I'll take a car or 2. You need to be very focused (but not tunnel visioned) on that truck's lights while still scanning the sides and behind to ensure you have a bail out spot.

I also evaluate the truck as I come near it- do I see/hear pebbles or debris behind it? If so, I pass- I value my nice paint job and clear windshield.

As you move in you'll feel the car react- turbulence, then all of a sudden less turbulence (but still not smooth) and you may feel the engine come free a little bit as it no longer has to load up as much. That's when you are in the vacuum bubble.

Never "chase" a draft- Don't speed up just to catch a ride. Wait until you catch up to them naturally, then drop in behind.

There are other forms of drafting as well, but I've not seen a good explanation of how to position oneself to use them all.

Remember, never draft. It's very dangerous.

That said, very well written, and that's almost exactly how I do it when I draft. I tend to leave a little less room, a car length or so, a car and a half at most. You can tell if you get too far back when you hit the "turbulance" again, and you have to speed back up to get back into that sweet spot.

I've "chased" a draft, and always end up calling it off, because I can't get into that sweet spot, and I end up trying to go too fast.

Personally, I only draft on expressways, but that doesn't make it any better, or justify anything. That's just what I do, on occasion.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime

Personally, I only draft on expressways, but that doesn't make it any better, or justify anything. That's just what I do, on occasion.
Same here, though I do think it's safer for the obvious reason that traffic flows smoother and at a generally more regular speed on the freeway than during city driving. Exactly why there are less accidents on the freeway to begin with, though I suppose it is true that freeway accidents will always be more severe when they do occur.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:49 PM
World's First Hybrid

Just wondering....is the reverse true? If you let a semi or other large vehicle sidle up to your tailpipe, can you ride their bow wave just like dolphins do with a ship??? I think this would be more unnerving than drafting cuz if you have to stop fast there's 80,000lbs of mass behind you going 60+ mph...= 1 flat HCH.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:53 PM

Heh - if so it'd just be extra incentive for hypermilers to do 45 on a 65 freeway.

Old 10-29-2005, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
Just wondering....is the reverse true? If you let a semi or other large vehicle sidle up to your tailpipe, can you ride their bow wave just like dolphins do with a ship??? I think this would be more unnerving than drafting cuz if you have to stop fast there's 80,000lbs of mass behind you going 60+ mph...= 1 flat HCH.
yes. Not as much gain though. "Surfing" works in all situations.

though it might be easier to go into N and let him simply push you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drafting

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands