E3 spark plugs, will you save gas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default E3 spark plugs, will you save gas?

Has anyone used E3 Spark Plugs? http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/
They claim...
  • More Power
  • Improved Fuel Economy
  • Reduced Emissions
  • Longer Engine Life
I wonder if changing to E3 plugs plus a K&N air filter, I would increase my gas mileage by a few mpg's, right?

Old 01-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: E3 spark plugs, will you save gas?

If these spark plugs do this, then why are they not a standard feature not only on the hybrids but every other vehicle?

Old 01-03-2008, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
If these spark plugs do this, then why are they not a standard feature not only on the hybrids but every other vehicle?
Very good question.
I guess the same could be said about K&N air filters.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

I have tried Bosch +4 which usually give a little bit of an improvement because of the electrode design. I got nothing. So I doubt these will do any better.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
I have tried Bosch +4 which usually give a little bit of an improvement because of the electrode design. I got nothing. So I doubt these will do any better.
Thanks for the feedback. I'd hate spending the money and getting 0 results.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

I noticed that the engine was REALLY noisy at a 0 degree startup. I am wondering if that is just a sign of really low compression, in any case, I havnt found any information on what the compression actually is.

So my point is, I dont think lower compression engines benefit as much from different plugs. I had orginally though about different plugs but have held off so far.

Just a theory. I will probably put new plugs in around 25k miles.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

I will probably put new plugs in around 25k miles.
The plugs in the FEH are platinum and will last up to 100K some shops change them at 75K just to be on the safe side
Plug design has more to do with the swirl inside the combustion chamber and the direction of the flame front. A standard "hook" type plug directs the initial flame front to the side. A Bosch +4 type directs it down. Pent roof style combustion chambers (FEH has one) generally benefit from a down directed. But this also depends on ignition timing, compression fuel octane etc. I doubt the compression is much different on a cold engine than a warm.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Those claims are usually when comparing to the very old plugs being removed. Replacing old, worn out plugs with any type of new plug, will bring improvements.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:08 PM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

My experience is that lower compression engines benefit more from enhanced spark.

Last edited by DavidH; 01-07-2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-08-2008, 05:53 AM
08 MMH 4WD

There is a file floating aqround these this forums somewhere from last year (41 slide presentation ) that lists the compression as 12.3:1 (on slide 12).

To me with this high of a compression and not needing premium fuels just boggles the mind

On the 88 & 94 Jag XJ-S's I once owned (5.3 & 6 L) with 11:5 compression you were asking for trouble if you used low grade (and doing a engine rebuild due to detonation is not fun or cheap!)

On those engines more poeple swore AT the +4 plugs and actually got worse performance (and seemed to foul quicker). A lot of us used the NGKs and were very happy with the performance of those plugs. I did try the +4 on the Jag and removed them, so I was one of those swearing & they ain't cheap either!

Last edited by ICBMariner; 01-08-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: >;-)~

Quick Reply: E3 spark plugs, will you save gas?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands