eCVT Tranny Question

Old 02-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default eCVT Tranny Question

Several hyper mileage suggestions, require shifting of the eCVT transmission while driving. This is to send a quick charge to the battery pack.

Examples – a). Shift from Drive to Low @ 30mph. b) shift from Drive to Neutral and coast.

Could this have any negative effect on the transmission?

Thanks

Old 02-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: eCVT Tranny Question

By now we would have found out if it is a problem. The eCVT doesn't work like a conventional transmission, so you cannot "shift" it. That's why a lot of us drive around in "low" all the time or have fun with passengers by "shifting" into reverse while going top speed down the highway.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: eCVT Tranny Question

Originally Posted by Bill1227
Could this have any negative effect on the transmission?
Ans. Short-term, no. Because shifting just selects a different software algorithim to manage operation of the eCVT. Long-term.......?

Old 02-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well.....the couple of times that I accidentally had the shift selector in low, I could absolutely tell that something was 'different'.....I was certainly driving forward, but letting up on the accelerator pedal definitely gave a different sensation...(i.e...the vehicle slowed down much quicker). Once I realized I wasn't in 'D', and moved the selector lever there, things went back to normal. There must also be other differences when in 'L'ow, otherwise Ford wouldn't have spent the money to put it there....

I don't think I'd have the guts to put the selector into 'R'everse at high forward speed...guess I've driven conventional transmissions too long....

Just my $0.27 worth.....

Gary

Old 02-22-2010, 03:26 PM

My '05 FEH most likely has been shifted to "L", "N" and 'D" while moving than any FEH built to date. You must understand what is happening during coasting with deceleration and regen in all shift positions to get the best hypermiling effects.

1. Neutral - No regen but MG1 is charging the battery if needed above 6mph when the engine is running. No engine braking or run-up in RPM or fuel-cut. The idle is called "Secondary" and is controlled by the PCM, not MG1 like in "D". The FEH glides ~36% further in neutral than "D" because there is no regen (MG2 generator charging from wheels). You can flat tow in neutral with all wheels down up to 75mph per owners manual with an RV.

2. Drive - Light regen when decelerating so is not the best coasting for distance. It is more efficient than driving in "L" during a steady state speed and speed control. The engine will charge with MG1 up to 99% Engine Load but the electric motors are designed to assist the engine at 100% Engine Load. You can shift to "L" or "N" from "D" at any speed without damage to the eCVT. The '09 and '10 FEH has full fuel-cut above EV speed in "D" but you must tap the brake pedal below 56% battery SoC for fuel-cut. The '05 - '08 FEH will go EV after 3 seconds decelerating in "D" at 30mph and below. The '09 will go EV decelerating in "D" at 40mph and below and the '10 at 44mph.

3. Low Gear - Same as "D" while accelerating to any speed (there is no fixed "L" gear). Heavy regen with MG2 during deceleration and it simulates engine braking in the '05 - '08 FEH. Engine run-up and fuel-cut possible in the '05 - '08 models. The strategy changed in the '09 and '10 FEH with "L" and now you get engine run-up and full fuel-cut during deceleration above 6mph. Top speed is the same in "L" as "D" ~ 100mph. The "L" gear is used to go EV at 40mph and below in the '05 - '08 FEH during deceleration but is programmed to start the engine with fuel-cut in the '09 and '10 FEH.

GaryG

Old 02-22-2010, 03:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
My '05 FEH most likely has been shifted to "L", "N" and 'D" while moving than any FEH built to date. You must understand what is happening during coasting with deceleration and regen in all shift positions to get the best hypermiling effects.

1. Neutral - No regen but MG1 is charging the battery if needed above 6mph when the engine is running. No engine braking or run-up in RPM or fuel-cut. The idle is called "Secondary" and is controlled by the PCM, not MG1 like in "D". The FEH glides ~36% further in neutral than "D" because there is no regen (MG2 generator charging from wheels). You can flat tow in neutral with all wheels down up to 75mph per owners manual with an RV.
Gary, I don't fully understand Neutral. If I'm stopped (like at a red light) with ICE running (not warmed up yet), battery well below 53% SoC, it seems like battery charging does not occur in neutral. But if I shift to L or D under those same conditions, the battery appears to charge and the ICE sounds as if it is under load.

So is that correct, no charging if stopped in N? Thanks.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
Gary, I don't fully understand Neutral. If I'm stopped (like at a red light) with ICE running (not warmed up yet), battery well below 53% SoC, it seems like battery charging does not occur in neutral. But if I shift to L or D under those same conditions, the battery appears to charge and the ICE sounds as if it is under load.

So is that correct, no charging if stopped in N? Thanks.
You are correct Don. Note that I stated above 6mph the engine will charge the battery in neutral. Ford designed neutral in the FEH as "Passive" below 6mph and "Active" above 6mph. At a stop, you are in Passive Neutral below 6mph where MG1 cannot charge the battery. Shifting to "L" or "D" takes you out of that mode as well as coasting with the engine running above 6mph in neutral. The engine can also go EV in neutral above 6mph but the engine will not stop running in neutral below 6mph. This means if your stopped in neutral with the engine still running in neutral, you must shift to "D" or "L" to go EV at that stop or charge the battery.

GaryG

Old 02-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Enthusiast

Gary G.
Thank you very much. With cold winters here my wife and I have used those tech. to charge battery quicker and improve short drive mpg. Needed to better understand the eCVT and make sure long term damage was not likely from such.

Speaking of long term. I am the type that tends to buy a vehicle and attempt to keep it "long term". By this I not only mean years of service but high miliage. High miliage to us is over 200,000. The longer we keep a vehicle and the higher the miliage we put on with minimal extra non scheduled service, the prouder we become.

I have not read any posts of FEH with over 200,000 miles. This seems strange as they have been out long enough for such and those whom buy tend to drive more miles than normal.

How many miles are on your 2005 now?

Can anyone claim over 200,000 miles with out major problems?

Thanks

Old 02-23-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bill1227
Gary G.
Thank you very much. With cold winters here my wife and I have used those tech. to charge battery quicker and improve short drive mpg. Needed to better understand the eCVT and make sure long term damage was not likely from such.

Speaking of long term. I am the type that tends to buy a vehicle and attempt to keep it "long term". By this I not only mean years of service but high miliage. High miliage to us is over 200,000. The longer we keep a vehicle and the higher the miliage we put on with minimal extra non scheduled service, the prouder we become.

I have not read any posts of FEH with over 200,000 miles. This seems strange as they have been out long enough for such and those whom buy tend to drive more miles than normal.

How many miles are on your 2005 now?

Can anyone claim over 200,000 miles with out major problems?

Thanks
I have about 65,000 miles on my '05 FEH and the first 50,000 I averaged 45mpg. The PCM had to be reprogrammed at around 25,000 miles but that was because of a factory mistake of programming auto door locks which the '05 should not have had. Three relays went bad at about 40,000 miles but that may have been from a technique I tried called Forced Auto Stop. No other repairs except two front Michelin tires. Brakes pads looked new at 50,000 miles and the engine burns very little oil between 10,000 mile oil changes (none ever added between changes). Just had a automatic battery reconditioning the other day and went 2.1 miles in EV at ~30mph and one red light which I got back to 30mph in EV.

My best round trip was 20 miles @ 70.1mpg on flat roads with straight gas. Still hold the highest FEH MPG Challenge record at Hybridfest at 61.8mpg on E10. My '09 FEH can exceed 70mpg all day long on flat roads and E10 fuel. Cold starts and many stops during the day has still yielded three 57mpg tanks so far. So far I'm in 1st place in the current 3 month Winter Challenge #8 on Cleanmpg.com with a 57.6mpg average over 1582.8 miles.

The FEH eCVT is built like a rock with no belts, bands or chains in it!

GaryG

Old 03-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Thumbs up Re: eCVT Tranny Question

I am at 104,000 miles in my 2005.

I tow up to 3200 pounds ( more than recommended ) and climb rocky mountain back woods trails with up to 26% slope on dirt.

I have two ScanGauges and monitor just about everything possible.
The transmission never gets hot, even while climbing modest 7% slopes while towing. The engine never gets hot either while towing. Maybe 10 degrees warmer than typical under max. load.

I truly believe this was built Ford tough.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: eCVT Tranny Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands