eCVT Tranny Question

Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: eCVT Tranny Question

Originally Posted by GaryG
1. Neutral
2. Drive
3. Low Gear
We have Drive on these vehicles? Who knew?

I still do probably 90% of my driving in Low since I like the performance better in the type of driving I do. If I get on the highway and know I probably won't have to slow for a few miles, I'll put it in D if I remember. Otherwise, it's all low, all the time.

I can't remember now, who was it that first talked about driving in low all the time?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Default Re: eCVT Tranny Question

Originally Posted by nitramjr
We have Drive on these vehicles? Who knew?

I still do probably 90% of my driving in Low since I like the performance better in the type of driving I do. If I get on the highway and know I probably won't have to slow for a few miles, I'll put it in D if I remember. Otherwise, it's all low, all the time.

I can't remember now, who was it that first talked about driving in low all the time?
No question, you da MAN! I remember reading your post years ago and saying to myself, how the heck can you drive highway speeds in "L" gear. Even better, was finding out how "L" would cause you to go EV below 41mph and seeing regen without using the brake pedal or brake pads. Went out and tried it and I'll be dammed. Ford changed "L" gear programming in the '09 FEH but I still use those techniques in my '05 everyday I drive it.

GaryG

Old 03-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: eCVT Tranny Question

I've found going to EV at 40 MPH in N is BETTER THAN going to EV at 40 MPH in L.

I've also found it is the brake switch, not actually applying brakes that makes the car go EV.

So coasting down from 41 MPH I go to N.
Then press the brake just ever so lightly, just enough to hit the switch.
I'm not using ANY brakes, so no slowing other than natural resistance.
I'm going EV at 39.9 MPH in most cases.

There are very few cases where L works to your advantage, such as maybe if you had very LOW SOC ( below 42% ) and needed charge.

I do use L at the top of long hills, so I can get the 2005 into fuel cut.
Then move back to D for coasting and it stays in fuel cut with light regen.

-John