Engine block heater install question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Engine block heater install question

I am planning on installing an engine block heater in my (new to me) Escape ('05). Using a mirror I can see that it looks like I need some type of large hex bit to insert in the plug in the block to get it out so I can screw in the block heater. Anyone know what size hex bit this takes?
Also I am not planning on putting the full blown block heater/battery warmer setup, just the block heater. I'm assuming I can just get the power cord for the non-hybrid block heater so as to eliminate the extra cordage associated with the battery warmer. Does that sound right?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine block heater install question

Your vehicle already has a wire running from the hybrid battery heater to the "Y" connector under the windshield fluid bottle. The Ford option 41H engine block heater will allow you to both connect the hybrid battery heater and engine block heater to your electrical outlet.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
Your vehicle already has a wire running from the hybrid battery heater to the "Y" connector under the windshield fluid bottle. The Ford option 41H engine block heater will allow you to both connect the hybrid battery heater and engine block heater to your electrical outlet.
The salesman at the dealer tried to tell me the same thing.
Question - Is there a place on the internet where I can enter my VIN & see my vehicle's original equipment list?
Even though the Escape was first registered here in Minnesota there is no block heater installed. As I said in my first post I looked with a mirror where it is supposed to go in and it's not there, just a large plug screwed in that needs a large-ish hex shaped drive to remove it. Also I looked for the cord & plug behind the license plate area & that's not there either.
Que

Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Enthusiast

Rich, it's been a while since I've opened up that area but the large plug with the hex in the middle is not the connector for the battery heater , your looking for a smaller connector next to that one, if I remember correctly it is ~1/4 the size but still square. I'll check tonight and confirm.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CraigS
Rich, it's been a while since I've opened up that area but the large plug with the hex in the middle is not the connector for the battery heater , your looking for a smaller connector next to that one, if I remember correctly it is ~1/4 the size but still square. I'll check tonight and confirm.
No, that's not plug as in electric plug. It is plug as in pipe/plumbing plug that is in the hole where the block heater screws in to. See attached photo.

Attached Thumbnails Engine block heater install question-engine-block-heater-plug.jpg  
Old 10-20-2012, 07:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This is Ford option 41H (engine block heater).
Name:  FEhengineblockheatercomponents.jpg
Views: 2247
Size:  122.3 KB
This is what you need and are lacking. With this addition, you will have a connection to the hybrid battery heater when this is plugged in to the elecrical outlet.
Name:  fordinternalbatteryheater.jpg
Views: 2151
Size:  138.5 KB

Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Active Enthusiast
Smile Installed block heater today

I got my engine block heater installed today w/o any problems. I'd used a 9/16 hex bit on a 2" extension on my 1/2" drive ratchet to remove the hex plug from the block. I had the heater all set up on a deep socket and just popped out the plug and quickly screwed in the heater. Only about 2 cups of antifreeze flowed out an into a pan I'd put underneath. I didn't even spill a drop on the garage floor. Tightened up the heater and strung the cord out to the front and was all done in less than 1/2 hour.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:02 PM
Cheapskate

Bumping an old thread, but this seems like the right place.

I picked up the components for the engine block heater for my 2006 FEH. I didn't get it installed, and that vehicle has now been totaled. I've replaced it with a 2009 FEH.

Is the engine block heater from the '06 generation compatible with the '09 generation? If so, I'll keep it (and try to find time to install it), but might as well sell it otherwise.

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elborak
Bumping an old thread, but this seems like the right place.

I picked up the components for the engine block heater for my 2006 FEH. I didn't get it installed, and that vehicle has now been totaled. I've replaced it with a 2009 FEH.

Is the engine block heater from the '06 generation compatible with the '09 generation? If so, I'll keep it (and try to find time to install it), but might as well sell it otherwise.

Thanks.
2009 has different software than the 2005-2008 models. I'm not sure if the hybrid battery heater component remained installed in the battery packs. The connection might be missing. I would like to purchase your item if you do not install it. I will post photos later of what I am referring to.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:40 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

There are two components so make sure everyone is clear.

There is a 300-400 watt engine block heater that screws into the engine block to heat the coolent. This should be possible to install in any car, and should be the same on all Ford 2.3L engines. It may or may not have changed when Ford went to the 2.5L engines. I don't know.

The second component is a 75 watt hybrid battey pack heater. The heater is actually intgrated into every battery pack, and the component you buy is a 120v to 24v power supply and connecting cable. This option was available only for the 2005 to 2007 model years (confirmed) and possibly 2008 (unconfirmed).

Make sure you are talking about the correct parts. I have both components installed in my 2005 FEH.

Quick Reply: Engine block heater install question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands