Engine Not Idling Down:??Major Problem or not??

Old 07-06-2006, 07:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Engine Not Idling Down:??Major Problem or not??

I have a 2006 FEH with about 3500 miles on it. So far until this morning I have been very pleased with the performance of the vehicle.
However, after driving about 10 of the normal 15 miles to work today, the vehicle experienced some significant problems.
For the last 5 miles, whenever I either slowed down below 30-35 mph or stopped at a stoplight, the engine would not shut off and go to EV mode.

When I shut the vehicle off, but left the key in the ignition, I could hear the fan in the back of the vehicle running as if to cool down the HV battery.

I tried the following things, but could not get the engine to shut down to EV mode:
1) I started the vehicle up again, put it into both park and neutral, and waited a minute or so. Normally, since the vehicle was warmed up, the gas engine would shut off to EV mode. It did not this time.
2) I put the vehicle into both park and neutral, pushed the accelerator pedal almost to the floor. The engine would not rev up over 2500 rpms and once again, did not go to EV mode.
3) I drove the vehicle around the parking lot for a couple of minutes, tried the 2x brake pedal hits at below 30 mph, normally the engine shuts off, goes to EV mode, it did not this time.
4) shut off the vehicle, the fan was still purring!!

Has anyone ever had this problem/issue?

Is the car safe to drive?

Is the issue related to the HV battery cooling fan and/or the A/C system which cools the battery? Could the fan be causing a malfunction with the computer such that it will not shut down the gas engine?

I am going to drive it during lunch hour and see if the issue/problem is still occurring?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW. I have been reading this discussion board for over 3 months now, also prior to buying the vehicle. It is very helpful with a great deal of very useful information!!!

Old 07-06-2006, 07:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine Not Idling Down:??Major Problem or not??

What was the exterior (outdoor) temperature at the time you experienced the issue? What were your cabin air control settings at that time? Battery State of Charge (SoC) at that time?

I'm no expert so I'm not going to hazard guesses or anything like that, but I can say I have about the same miles on my '06 FEH and I have no issues. One thing I can tell you is, yes, now that the temperature has warmed up (summer in Texas) I often hear my rear fans for the high voltage battery running after the vehicle is turned off but when the key is still in the ignition. That at least I would presume is normal. They can be quiet or fairly loud depending on how fast they're spinning.

Last edited by GeekGal; 07-06-2006 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.

Since I do not have the nav system I can not determine what was the battery charge level. However, I did notice that the battery was charging re: the small gauge on the left of the instrument panel. Since I had driven about 4-5 miles I would assume that the battery was charged enough to go to EV mode at a complete stop or below about 30-35 mph.

The outside temp was low to mid-70's and somewhat humid since we had some morning rain. I have driven in similar conditions weather-wise ,temp and humidity, before but not experienced this issue. That why I will drive it at lunch to see if the issue persists or not.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Old 07-06-2006, 09:01 AM

Is there a possibility these things have a "battery conditioning" state? Maybe they intentionally discharge the battery to "recondition" it. I could have sworn in the manual it mentions that "performace can vary due to the battery going through reconditioning cycles" or something like that. Maybe yours is going through one.

In short, I'd keep driving it and see if tomorrow or the next day it comes "out of it".

Old 07-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast

Hi Tim -

It seems to be a general problem as the outside temps rise and the aux. HV battery A/C has to do overtime.
This has been discussed in the thread 'HV Battery Cooling' here.

The one solution I have come up with is when below 40 put it in 'N' and brake. This will generally shut the ICE down. Read the post from GaryG there - he breaks it down pretty good and also comes up with the same solution.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replys to my questions.

I just went out at lunch to do an errand. When I started the vehicle, the fan sounded like it was on in the back of the vehicle. For the 1st 2-3 miles, the performance was errratic. The gas engine was running even at low speed and at a stoplight. In fact, when I tried to accelerate, the rpms would not go above about 2500 rpms and I could see on the instrument gauge that the battery assist needle was significantly showing battery assist to power the vehicle.

Then things changed. After traveling at about 45 mph for about 1/2 - 1 mile, the vehicle started to work better. While at an ATM machine, the gas engine shut off to EV mode. For the next 2-3 miles back to work, the vehicle is performing satisfactory.

Interestingly, when I shut off the vehicle in the parking lot, I could hear a low whining sound, probably the fan. Initially, this morning when I shut off the vehicle, there was a louder sound, could this be the A/C coolng system.?Whereas, now this afternoon, the A/C system is now off with only the fan.

VietVet: I have read some of the HV battery discussion thread previously. I will now read more of it. Sounds like, this may be a "normal" occurrence with changes in the weather?

Teester: I am going to take a look at the manual to see if I can find what you read about "battery reconditioning".

Thanks to both of you for advice.

Either way, when( hopefully not if) I make it home this evening, I still plan to drop it off at the dealer next week to get it checked!!!

Old 07-06-2006, 10:23 AM

Its from the little color brouchure that comes with the '06 manual.

"...The hybrid high voltage battery may go through a self-reconditioning process from time-to-time, to optimize high voltage battery performance. You may notice slight changes in drivability during the reconditioning process. This is an imporant part of the Escape Hybrid's high voltage battery optimizing features..."

I can't tell you if thats what its doing... but sometimes I wonder if when people say "my engine isn't shutting down 'normally'" if this isn't exactly whats happening and they might just relax and let it go about and do its thing.

Clearly its sometimes A/C and heat realted... but perhaps not always.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, Teester.

I'll take a look at the brochure. When I drive home this evening, the vehicle will either run "normally" or not. Then I know whether or not to take it in next week to get checked.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:08 PM

This all sound like battery conditioning to me. The high RPM could be the battery discharging with the small generator turning up the ICE. This would also explain the ICE not going EV at stops. The system most likely continues with a fast charge which heat the battery and causes the battery fans and maybe the A/C compressor to run. My guess is, Ray does not drive EV only till the battery is low enough. Not having a battery level may cause people to forget about driving in EV whenever possible.

Ray, are your tires up to 44psi to promote EV driving? With your outside temp that low, you should not need that kind of battery cooling with normal driving. If things don't get back to normal real fast, you've got other problems. With no trouble codes, I lean to battery conditioning like TeeSter

GaryG

Old 07-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Enthusiast

GaryG:

Thanks for your input. I've read your reply and I hope you are right that it is only battery discharging and not anything more serious.

I've been driving this route for about 2 1/2 months without having any issues. My guess is that of the 15 miles to work, I am in EV mode for about 4-6 miles at various times; down hills, at lights, slow starts from lights, and level areas of 30-35 mph zones. Hopefully, this is simply an occasional occurence of the "battery conditioning" .

I will be paying close attention to my drive home this evening and for the next few days.

Regarding tire pressure, I have read alot ( and been using) of your and others posts regarding techniques for "hypermiling"; 2x braking, fake shift, etc. but I have not yet increased my tire pressures from about 38-39 up to the 44 level you suggested.

Thanks again for your reply. I will update this thread with new info after my ride home and to work tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Not Idling Down:??Major Problem or not??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands