Error code U2023

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 01:09 PM
Enthusiast
Angry Error code U2023

I recently purchased a 2005 Escape that would run fine for a long period of time and then suddenly shut down with the triangle of death. After doing lots of research I concluded that the ABS unit was malfunctioning. I was occasionally getting service brake system soon. After replacing the unit with a junk yard one I had 10 ABS codes, mostly related to bleeding the ABS unit. After several attempts I have the codes down to two: U2023 and one about a VIN mismatch, which I assume is never going away. I am still getting a shut down after a while and have the ABS light on all the time. Just have no clue what the U2023 could be or where to even start looking for it.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Error code U2023

Have you checked the brake lines for collapsing? The other common problem is cracked/broken tone rings...I didn't have this one. Here's a short recap of my nightmare getting to the bottom of the braking issues. After 7 months, 4 tows, 5 mechanics, 2 dealerships (two bad HCU diagnosis), 1 ABS harness line and 1 ground cleaning...it was the brake hoses collapsing. I also had the brake fluid flushed to get any sediment out of the system from the brake/rotor install earlier in the year. A retail tire chain found it in less than 15 minutes. Dealerships here said that if those codes are present, Ford says to replace the HCU 1st! Will NOT even consider venturing into anything else. It's a win-win for Ford, they know this was a bad design, too expensive to recall and I believe they want these cars off the road due to liability. If they can get you in and diagnosis your car with a bad HCU 1) They are off the hook if it's not fixed and in most cases the owner takes the car off the road. 2) VIN specific and $5900 to replace HCU. 3) The part is worth more than the car, causing most people to scrap the car and possibly buy a new Ford (Not me). Big KUDOS to the dealerships who allow critical thinking and let their mechanics be mechanics. In the Louisville area, they are ARROGANT scanner readers and liars. I asked both dealerships to check the tone rings and brake lines, which both "said" they did however, it took a brake/tire store to find the front brake lines were collapsing causing the 1478/1480/2023 codes. It's been one month and no more ABS problems.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lois0697
Have you checked the brake lines for collapsing? The other common problem is cracked/broken tone rings...I didn't have this one. Here's a short recap of my nightmare getting to the bottom of the braking issues. After 7 months, 4 tows, 5 mechanics, 2 dealerships (two bad HCU diagnosis), 1 ABS harness line and 1 ground cleaning...it was the brake hoses collapsing. I also had the brake fluid flushed to get any sediment out of the system from the brake/rotor install earlier in the year. A retail tire chain found it in less than 15 minutes. Dealerships here said that if those codes are present, Ford says to replace the HCU 1st! Will NOT even consider venturing into anything else. It's a win-win for Ford, they know this was a bad design, too expensive to recall and I believe they want these cars off the road due to liability. If they can get you in and diagnosis your car with a bad HCU 1) They are off the hook if it's not fixed and in most cases the owner takes the car off the road. 2) VIN specific and $5900 to replace HCU. 3) The part is worth more than the car, causing most people to scrap the car and possibly buy a new Ford (Not me). Big KUDOS to the dealerships who allow critical thinking and let their mechanics be mechanics. In the Louisville area, they are ARROGANT scanner readers and liars. I asked both dealerships to check the tone rings and brake lines, which both "said" they did however, it took a brake/tire store to find the front brake lines were collapsing causing the 1478/1480/2023 codes. It's been one month and no more ABS problems.
Thanks for the detailed response. I did replace the ABS unit on this vehicle with a used one from a junk yard, and I still think that there is air in the unit somewhere. I am getting a bi-directional scanner to hopefully get that resolved, and then maybe the U2023 will go away too. The VIN specific thing is crazy stupid, and hopefully that will not be something that keeps it from working. Never would have messed with if I would have know that. Whole thing started when I was just trying to take off the darn harness plug to the ABS to spray the contacts and then bent over and broke a couple of the connecting tabs. Why they have to hid that unit clear in the corner and behind everything is beyond me. And there is no slack in the wires to get it unplugged either. The car was working fine most of the time, but then would suddenly shut down and I would get the service brake system warning on the dash. Anyway, after I get the air all out if the problem purists I will look for collapsed hoses. My wife has a 2008 Escape Hybrid, and fortunately we have had no problems with it.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast

bofronado,

Not at a good place to comment thoroughly, referencing some links I have bookmarked, but will touch the highlights to make you dangerous

Lois0697 has taken you through about all the possible scenarios of things that flag a bad HCU that are not the HCU itself. I have also had to do a full pressure brake bleed to get rid of some trapped air that was causing me some pressure sensor faults.

Have not had to do this on my 2008 Mariner Hybrid, but did have to reprogram some eBay purchased modules on a 2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Using this link Programming Ford Modules has all the information in it IIRC. A lot of reading... This is using Forscan software that can be downloaded from their site and you also have to register and get a extended license code to be able to do "PATS" programming, which is programming vehicle modules.

It is always best to extract the programming from the original module if possible as it has your VIN in it and the latest programming. However, you can get it from a Ford website, enter your VIN, and it will give you the module programming that the vehicle left the factory with. Ford Module Build Website

YouTube video on Module Programming

All of the above is not for the "faint of heart". "YOU" can break your HCU if something goes wrong so you assume the liability... Also be aware that the information in the links are 2-3 years old, so some things on the software and procedures could have changed. Again would advise to read through the Forscan forum on module programming.

So if you read through all of the above links and feel okay doing it. that should clear the VIN error code.

Good Luck!

Old 12-15-2018, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: Error code U2023

Originally Posted by bofronado
Thanks for the detailed response. I did replace the ABS unit on this vehicle with a used one from a junk yard, and I still think that there is air in the unit somewhere. I am getting a bi-directional scanner to hopefully get that resolved, and then maybe the U2023 will go away too. The VIN specific thing is crazy stupid, and hopefully that will not be something that keeps it from working. Never would have messed with if I would have know that. Whole thing started when I was just trying to take off the darn harness plug to the ABS to spray the contacts and then bent over and broke a couple of the connecting tabs. Why they have to hid that unit clear in the corner and behind everything is beyond me. And there is no slack in the wires to get it unplugged either. The car was working fine most of the time, but then would suddenly shut down and I would get the service brake system warning on the dash. Anyway, after I get the air all out if the problem purists I will look for collapsed hoses. My wife has a 2008 Escape Hybrid, and fortunately we have had no problems with it.
Mine is 2008, same braking system. I believe it was 2009 when Ford separated the ABS from the HCU. I have also heard because 05-08 is VIN specific, the dealer has to re-program the replacement HCU to your car. There are threads in here on that topic, it's beyond my scope. I found a new (unnecessary) after market ABS harness online at a place called Quirk Parts out of NY, approx. $60. Ford no longer sells this part separate, $2500.00 for the entire wiring harness if you want the $60 piece. I like my car, but Ford sucks!

Old 12-15-2018, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast

Curious, did you save the original ABS/HCU?

Old 12-15-2018, 10:04 AM
Enthusiast

Lois0697,

The whole fiasco could have been handled by Ford more "diplomatically". IIRC, Toyota or Honda had a similar issue with their HCU design on certain model years and issued a recall. Ford simply ignored as there had been no known serious accidents or fatalities.

You are correct about the 2009 and later models. Much of all this revolves around the fact that with a Hybrid that has a ICE engine coming on/off, you don't have a constant source of vacuum that is commonly used to operate all major designs of braking systems used in vehicles. So Ford knew they had to do something to get away from the HCU system design.

So they installed a electric vacuum pump in the 2009 and later models and pretty much went back to a conventional braking system. Ironically, guess what has been a major failure item on the 2009 and later models. Yes, that vacuum pump! But it doesn't cost $5-8K either.

Have no idea what the next generation Hybrids from Ford has in store, but like you, I don't think they will have a customer from me for one.

The other side of my max MPG saga is that I recently sold my 2001 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 5 speed. 48-52 MPG all the time. 340K miles. This model was not involved with the modified software.

With VW's software nightmare they created for themselves, they simply decided to abandon the North America market place. So goes another future customer...

Old 12-17-2018, 07:07 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LonnieU
bofronado,

Not at a good place to comment thoroughly, referencing some links I have bookmarked, but will touch the highlights to make you dangerous

Lois0697 has taken you through about all the possible scenarios of things that flag a bad HCU that are not the HCU itself. I have also had to do a full pressure brake bleed to get rid of some trapped air that was causing me some pressure sensor faults.

Have not had to do this on my 2008 Mariner Hybrid, but did have to reprogram some eBay purchased modules on a 2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Using this link Programming Ford Modules has all the information in it IIRC. A lot of reading... This is using Forscan software that can be downloaded from their site and you also have to register and get a extended license code to be able to do "PATS" programming, which is programming vehicle modules.

It is always best to extract the programming from the original module if possible as it has your VIN in it and the latest programming. However, you can get it from a Ford website, enter your VIN, and it will give you the module programming that the vehicle left the factory with. Ford Module Build Website

YouTube video on Module Programming

All of the above is not for the "faint of heart". "YOU" can break your HCU if something goes wrong so you assume the liability... Also be aware that the information in the links are 2-3 years old, so some things on the software and procedures could have changed. Again would advise to read through the Forscan forum on module programming.

So if you read through all of the above links and feel okay doing it. that should clear the VIN error code.

Good Luck!
Thanks for all of the information. Yes,it does look overwhelming, but at this point there is nothing left to do but charge ahead. I am assuming that I will need a OBD2 interface cable for my computer to make the Forscan software communicate with my ABS unit.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Enthusiast

bofronado,

Yes you will need either a wired USB or wireless Bluetooth or WiFi OBDII interface. I also suggest to use Forscan software on a Microsoft Windows computer.

I wrote a short description of such in this link as reference. I think all links are still good: OBDII Info in another GreenHybrid Post

On Fords and some other vehicles - some of the devices are High Speed and some are Low Speed. The two units in the above link are auto-switched by the software. Cheaper units have a physical switch.

Whatever your budget allows. But do a lot of reading on this stuff before acting on it...

Old 12-20-2018, 06:49 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks you so much for all the information. The car is something that I am working on, but I don't need to drive it. I do need a little help with the FordServiceInfo web site. I was going to look for the code for the ABS VIN reset code, but I could not figure out were to go on the web site. I looked at every link, but the only one I saw to put a VIN for was the Key programming.

Quick Reply: Error code U2023

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands