Escape 110-volt power outlet - camping usage

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Escape 110-volt power outlet - camping usage

I'm planning to go for camping , and I usually takes portable electricity generator with me, but as I have an escape with 110 v outlet , the question is: is it possible to relay on this source for long usage , like 6 hours continuous consume of 50 watts / hour ... and the main question : what is the source for this electricity ? is it coming from the normal battery or from the HVTB ? I won't worry if the power source is the HVTB but I would if it was the normal battery because it will drain the battery and the car won't start , I won't take this chance because I'm far away from any civilization during camping ... any ideas on this matter friends ..

Old 04-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Cheapskate
Default Re: Escape 110-volt power outlet - camping usage

For multi-hour inverter use, leave the engine "on". It will use juice from the hybrid battery pack and will restart as needed to keep the battery charged.

I know I've read some threads here about folks using it for that purpose.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You might want to double check the load that you need to support vs. output of the 110v FEH outlet.

It could be that the portable generator is more suitable for your needs.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

He said 50 watts, it should be fine, even without letting it run. Letting it run is just going to waste a lot of gas cause it will start many times when it gets cold before it starts once for a slightly low battery.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steefozo
I'm planning to go for camping , and I usually takes portable electricity generator with me, but as I have an escape with 110 v outlet , the question is: is it possible to relay on this source for long usage , like 6 hours continuous consume of 50 watts / hour ... and the main question : what is the source for this electricity ? is it coming from the normal battery or from the HVTB ? I won't worry if the power source is the HVTB but I would if it was the normal battery because it will drain the battery and the car won't start , I won't take this chance because I'm far away from any civilization during camping ... any ideas on this matter friends ..
This has been asked and answered in the past. Try the search function or start here: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...uestion-22415/

Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Feral Engineer

The source for powering the inverter is the 12 volt battery. You can recharge the 12 volt battery by just doing a key on for awhile without starting. If you discharge the 12 volt battery too much, the FEH will not start. Don't let the battery get below 12 volts (with no load).

Old 04-17-2013, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by travelover
The source for powering the inverter is the 12 volt battery. You can recharge the 12 volt battery by just doing a key on for awhile without starting. If you discharge the 12 volt battery too much, the FEH will not start. Don't let the battery get below 12 volts (with no load).
That would be new to me because I thought the engine had to be started for the transfer of juice to the 12V battery. I've seen the drop in SoC to the 12V battery only after a start-up over the years, but a key-on charge with 12V battery charging is new to me. Can't say you are wrong, just saying I haven't seen this myself.

A good precaution would be one of those jump-start battery plug-in devices that can convert AC to DC and just run the 50W power from that. Discharging the 12V battery in the FEH that low can damage the battery over time.

GaryG

Old 04-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by GaryG
That would be new to me because I thought the engine had to be started for the transfer of juice to the 12V battery. I've seen the drop in SoC to the 12V battery only after a start-up over the years, but a key-on charge with 12V battery charging is new to me. Can't say you are wrong, just saying I haven't seen this myself.

A good precaution would be one of those jump-start battery plug-in devices that can convert AC to DC and just run the 50W power from that. Discharging the 12V battery in the FEH that low can damage the battery over time.

GaryG
I pull a small fiberglass camper with mine and it is convenient to be able to charge the camper battery with the FEH without starting it. With just a key-on it charges until the high voltage battery gets down to about 40% SOC, then stops charging until you start the engine. This is enough to boost the camper battery significantly.

With a cigarette lighter plug in voltmeter or Scangage you can monitor the battery voltage. If you keep it above 12 volts, you will be at 50%+ charge which won't damage the battery.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by travelover
I pull a small fiberglass camper with mine and it is convenient to be able to charge the camper battery with the FEH without starting it. With just a key-on it charges until the high voltage battery gets down to about 40% SOC, then stops charging until you start the engine. This is enough to boost the camper battery significantly.

With a cigarette lighter plug in voltmeter or Scangage you can monitor the battery voltage. If you keep it above 12 volts, you will be at 50%+ charge which won't damage the battery.
Thanks, good to know. This could be helpful after losing power from a hurricane here in Florida and even NY for that matter these days.

GaryG

Old 04-30-2022, 12:51 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
This has been asked and answered in the past. Try the search function or start here: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...uestion-22415/
What a dumb lazy answer. In other words you have no idea. Pfft.

Quick Reply: Escape 110-volt power outlet - camping usage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands