Escape HEV has no SoC display …

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

Originally posted by xcel@Nov 25th 2004 @ 1:07 PM
___Anyway, I was thinking about the Prius I and II. I don’t think Toyota should have made available the SoC/regen screens as they probably don’t help FE anyway? Ford’s engineers were pretty smart for leaving the SoC display out imho. Any thoughts?
I agree that having SoC information doesn't help much when it comes to fuel efficiency, but I've found that it certainly does help, in some circumstances, to understand how to drive the car.

When I'm puttering around town, I'll often use the "feathering" approach to try to keep the car in electric-only drive, but I find that occaisionally (when it's safe to do so) switching back from my usual "Consumption" screen to the "Energy" screen and noting the SoC helps to understand when it's worthwhile to feather the pedal and keep the car in stealth, and when it's best to encourage the engine to turn on because the charge is getting low anyways.

Old 11-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by xcel@Nov 25th 2004 @ 7:02 PM

___Then your Escape HEV does have an SoC display! This is counter to what C&D or whichever Car Mag I was reading at the Jewel grocery store last night mentioned.

___How does your SoC change during your normal drive. Does it rise and fall in particular range like the Prius’ do?

Correct. It is a SoC display, but, as I said, it's part of the optional synergy display system. Maybe the magazine was reporting on the standard features.

I agree with Totalshock that while the the SoC provides good information about the battery's state of charge, it is not much help with normal driving. The standard charge/dischage and RPM instrument guages are more useful.

I read on another forum that the Escape allows the high voltage battery pack to charge and dischage within a mid to upper range, similiar but not identical to the Prius. I don't recall the exact numbers offhand. Clearly, the automakers know not to allow the batteries to either fully charge or discharge.