Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Escape Hybrid^2 (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/escape-hybrid-2-a-27939/)

RF Geek PC 07-15-2012 08:58 PM

Escape Hybrid^2

Hi All - I'm new to this forum but I already like what I've read so far. I'm about to embark on a project to double the battery capacity of my 2007 FEH. Over memorial day I was rear ended in my 2006 FEH - this vehicle was totaled but not dead...

I purchased the 2006 back from my insurance company and just bought a used 2007. The hybrid battery was not damaged in the accident and I plan to add it in parallel to my 2007s - locating it above the original pack.

I'm interested in any input folks out there might have to offer (including don't start). I plan to take photos and share with everyone here.

Take care - Paul (RFgeekPC)

ak74 07-15-2012 09:34 PM

Re: Escape Hybrid^2

Interesting,

My main concern would be how the main module would talk to both battery modules when it is only programmed for one.

What about the cooling for the battery?

AK

Billyk 07-16-2012 02:16 PM

Enginer sells an add on lithium ion battery that can boost your milege significantly. This add on slowly adds juice to the Ford hybrid battery as it is utilized and a 5kWh unit sells for around $3200.00 plus installation. Range is 40 miles in mixed driving. There are a few other third party vendors that can sell you other add on hybrid battery packs.

Now, going back to your statement of adding a second Ford OEM hybrid battery pack brings up this question. Do you realize only 13% (40-53% SOC) of the hybrid battery pack is "normally" used? Would adding two Ford OEM hybrid battery packs mean 26% SOC is used? How are you going to get your hands on the Ford software for modifications?

RF Geek PC 07-16-2012 10:22 PM

I agree AK, thanks for the thoughts. Cooling has to happen but if you think about it I'm not adding any thermal load, just storage capacity. I need to learn how the stock cooling system operates, this forum will be helpful I suspect.

I'm hoping that beyond cooling I will be able to simply connect the two packs in parallel. To the control system nothing really changes except it takes twice as long to reach full charge and of course twice as far on battery mode. Now if the onboard software has a battery model then it gets more complicated. Hope that's not the case. Paul

prototype3a 07-17-2012 04:45 AM

Total thermal load with the two packs in parallel should be approximately half or less than what the stock pack experiences since the current drawn from each pack should be approximately half of a stock setup and the largest component of the thermal load is a result of (I^2)(R) losses within the packs. So, assuming you could plumb it up, thermal load shouldn't be any sort of problem. If anything, your car's AC should be even more effective.

However, I have no idea how closely or even how at all, the car monitors the battery pack but I would assume that simply wiring it in parallel would not work. I would bet that a very smart person could put a microcontroller between the two packs and the car's computer to monitor both packs and provide appropriate pack average parameters to the car's computer.

Billyk 07-17-2012 02:28 PM

"I need to learn how the stock cooling system operates"

In general, cooling is provided from the outside air vent found on the split rear cargo window and thru the air conditioning lines running into the hybrid battery pack. Sticking a second battery case on top of the first will produce an uncoordinated system. Good luck with that.

RF Geek PC 07-17-2012 09:29 PM

I don't for see problems making the cooling work. Especially since each battery pack will see 1/2 the heat dissipation as stock. The biggest risk I see is if when charging, one pack hogs most if the current so you don't get the full benefit if the second pack. There are several ways to deal with that but I hope I won't need to go there.

How does the AC fit into the battery cooling system?
Does anyone know if someone has hacked into the control system?

Thanks. Paul

Billyk 07-18-2012 04:52 PM

The Ford Escape Hybrid system was hacked into and reverse engineering was performed by Hybrid Plus out of Boulder Colorado when they made a plug in system for their customers. GPSman1 actually has first hand knowledge of this vendor that went out of business after when one of their Prius conversions caught fire. That is about as far as I will go with this information.

subdewd 07-19-2012 04:35 PM

Since you won't be plugging in to charge I wonder how much more efficient you will be. The energy has to come fro running the motor longer.

RF Geek PC 07-20-2012 11:56 PM

Yes good point, the energy must come from somewhere. My commute to silicon valley over highway 280 goes down a big hill. Presently my battery hits full charge about half way down. I'm hoping to capture more.

I'm also thinking about mocking up the entire system from my wrecked escape and reverse engineering the control system so that I might optimize it. That's a big job, well see if I'm up for it.

I am planning to add an inverter so I can power my house in the rare blackouts. Should support a 5kw unit I think. Comments?