Escape hybrid battery cost

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: Escape hybrid battery cost

Originally Posted by KermitCar
if you did need to replace your battery pack and your out of warranty, it will cost $9300 for the pack itself and the about another $400 to have it instaled.
This doesn't pass the basic test of reasonableness. That is more than the cost of the whole hybrid system.

I'd also guess that more hybrids will be totaled and sold for parts than will have batteries fail, creating a secondary market for batteries and other parts.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:48 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Actually, that ($9300) is probably not more than the cost of the Hybrid system.
But I get your point... that is more than you paid for the hybrid system.

I've said all along the FEH is the "best buy" in America.
You paid about half what it cost to make.
I think we are all driving $50-60,000 cars. If you factor in R&D.
I think Ford's "net" cost for the battery is over $7000.
-John

Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ford Motor Company announce that they will begin to start making a profit on the hybrid vehicles sometime in year 2008. I'm assuming the initial R&D is finally been paid for. Next question, does this mean Ford will boost hybrid production for 2009?

Old 03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Actually, that ($9300) is probably not more than the cost of the Hybrid system.
But I get your point... that is more than you paid for the hybrid system.

I've said all along the FEH is the "best buy" in America.
You paid about half what it cost to make.
I think we are all driving $50-60,000 cars. If you factor in R&D.
I think Ford's "net" cost for the battery is over $7000.
-John
I still struggle with that $9300 / $7000 figure. If there are 275 D cells in the battery that is like $34 a piece, at retail. I'll give a few bucks for the other components in the battery, but on the whole it doesn't make sense to me.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:29 AM

There's part of the understading right there.
Out of your ( approx. ) 200 pound battery pack, only ~ 50 pounds is battery! 75% of the pack is "other stuff".

It's like the TV with a bad capacitor... only you can't replace just the capacitor, you need to buy a whole new TV.

When the battery wears out, it is not "servicable", thus the whole drop in box needs to be replaced witch has thousands of dollars of other "stuff".

Design flaw? Perhaps... but it is a fairly complex device, closer to a TV set than the 12v battery under the hood.

FYI a Honda IMA battery one-third the size of Ford's costs $6500 ( installed ) for much the same reason. The "battery" is the least of it.
-John

Old 03-03-2008, 02:05 PM

What a minute here. One of the greenhybrid posters is "wrenching and repairing" used Prius batteries. Go to this link: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...47/#post163594

for a photo(s) and more detail including a possible "poor man's plug in solution"!

Old 03-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
There's part of the understading right there.
Out of your ( approx. ) 200 pound battery pack, only ~ 50 pounds is battery! 75% of the pack is "other stuff".

It's like the TV with a bad capacitor... only you can't replace just the capacitor, you need to buy a whole new TV.

When the battery wears out, it is not "servicable", thus the whole drop in box needs to be replaced witch has thousands of dollars of other "stuff".

Design flaw? Perhaps... but it is a fairly complex device, closer to a TV set than the 12v battery under the hood.

FYI a Honda IMA battery one-third the size of Ford's costs $6500 ( installed ) for much the same reason. The "battery" is the least of it.
-John
Are you sure???

The Toyota hybrid batteries are 95% battery, 5% electronics.

They regularly sell for under a grand on eBay. You might have to hunt a bit more for an escape hybrid, but as a poster above mentioned I'm sure more Escapes are being totaled than are in need of a new battery. This should keep the cost of a used battery quite low.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by n8kwx
Are you sure???
The Toyota hybrid batteries are 95% battery, 5% electronics.
My description of Ford traction batteries is accurate.
I've seen them taken apart in great detail.
Toyota's are a bit simpler, but don't kid yourself...
There's a lot of electronics involved, but you are right that more of it is external to the battery itself.

Form factor is one significant reason for this.
Toyota's (Prius) battery takes up passenger cabin space.
Toyota built a car around the hybrid system.
Ford put the Hybrid systems into an already exsisting vehicle, without significant chassis changes, and yet, kept the hybrid system invisible.

While Toyota's battery is a "brick" dimentionally, Ford's is a "wafer".

Two different approaches.
-John

Old 09-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Escape hybrid battery cost

I'm looking at a 2007 Escape Hybrid, have firmed up a price with the dealer, then thought I'd better confirm the actual battery replacement price just in case. (In case I drill holes through the battery pack, or wreck it in such a way that the 8 year 160km warranty is voided.

The parts department quoted me "$14,000 but I could give it to you for $11,800". Ouch. This forces me to rethink the decision to go with a hybrid, and to look at something like a 4 cylinder Nissan Altima.

Certainly different functionality, but fuel consumption is very close (Escape 8.7 litres/100km vs Altima's 9.0 litres/100km).

Old 09-26-2009, 04:20 PM

Here is a used FEH battery going for $800/OBO on eBay. I think I would give that a try long before I spend $11,800/$9300/$7000. It even has a 6month warranty.

Quick Reply: Escape hybrid battery cost

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands