From the IRS release:

"These vehicles qualify for the clean-fuel vehicle deduction:

Toyota Prius — Model Years 2001 through 2005
Honda Insight — Model Years 2000 through 2004
Honda Civic Hybrid — Model Years 2003 and 2004"

Old 11-23-2004, 08:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Ogakor:

___This is not really directed at you nor anyone in particular but it is directed at our Government using my tax dollars in an inappropriate manner.

___I am getting real tired of this tax deduction and especially if it is going to be given to over-priced Escape and Accord Hybrid purchases. This is my tax dollars at work to subsidize automobiles that will never reach what I achieve in the Ranger XLT, the Corolla, or anywhere near what I receive in the Insight. I don’t drive in an HOV lane state but if I did, I would have a conniption given these (2) hybrids in particular are receiving less FE then a std. Civic or Corolla even for the average purchaser. If they want to speak in terms of emissions, the Accord Hybrid doesn’t qualify and the Escape HEV is a PZEV just like the std. Accord, Camry, and any other number of PZEV’s available in the clean fuel states. This is beginning to make me sick in fact given the average income of a hybrid purchaser is supposedly ~ $100,000 K per annum. Hybrid’s are selling faster then the supply thus do not need any incentives and especially since these incentives are directly adding to our already bloated 7,300,000,000,000 US Government deficit

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 11-23-2004, 08:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Fair enough... but how about the tax deduction for Hummers and other 6k+ pound gas hogs that lets owners write off the ENTIRE purchase price?

Old 11-23-2004, 12:26 PM

Hi Ogakor:

___IIRC, the H2 1 year write off was pulled but it wasn’t meant for H2’s in the first place. Imagine if I were to really expand my business and needed a 1-ton dually with dump that was over the tax advantaged weight limit. Instead of stretching its depreciation out over years, the tax break was to let me write off the entire amount in one fell swoop. Yes, it would help the small business man as there are tens to hundreds of thousands of these purchases per year. The H2 just happened to fall into this category. With that, even though these automobiles are gas pigs, businesses should be able to deduct there capital expenses because it is a business expense taking away from business income on which they are taxed in full (minus the deductions of course).

___In my case, the Ranger XLT 4 w/ a stick is barely large enough to do the job yet is Greenercars guides #1 choice for small P/U’s (albeit just a LEV) in the 2003/2004 MY’s. With that, not only is the Ranger capable of FE far exceeding that of the Ford Escape Hybrid in the real world, it also moonlights as a nice landscape truck.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Banned

I agree with xcel. I don't see why a 25 mpg SUV deserves a tax deduction. What's next? A $2000 rebate for a 10 mpg Ferrari Hybrid?

Nuts.

Old 11-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't know where you got the 25mpg figure-- probably the same place as the Ferrari Hybrid-- but the fact is the Escape is the only 4WD hybrid.

Old 11-23-2004, 05:23 PM

Hi All:

___A small point although it is still way to low in comparison to what most here receive in whatever they drive … The Ford Escape HEV 2WD/4WD is worth 33.5/31 mpg combined respectively.

___Another interesting note is that it does not include the PZEV HW in some locations of the US including Chicago and Milwaukee! This thing is rated as a very low level LEV in fact which doesn’t make any sense whatsoever … My 03 Ranger P/U is cleaner and receives better fuel economy then the Escape HEV that some will be able to purchase here in the Chicagoland area. How about that for an interesting factoid or two?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-24-2004, 04:45 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ogakor@Nov 23rd 2004 @ 5:37 PM
I don't know where you got the 25mpg figure-- probably the same place as the Ferrari Hybrid-- but the fact is the Escape is the only 4WD hybrid.
It gets 30 highway, which is still too low to allow it a deduction. Why should a 30 mpg suv hybrid get a ~$600 handout, while 40 mpg Civics/Echos/Jettas are excluded?????

I know I'd be pissed if my SUV neighbor said "I got $600 from Uncle Sam" while my smaller, more efficient 40 mpg car was excluded.

Troy

P.S. The reason it's LEV in the central U.S. is because it's cheaper for Ford to provide a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty than to provide a PZEV 10 year/150,000 mile warranty.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:26 AM

Hi ElectricTroy:

___Of course Ford saves money when they only have to warranty the emissions for 5/60. This is the case anywhere in the country including the 5 green states when it is not marketed as a PZEV.

___As for the rot gut, many places in the country are still stuck with > 150 ppm sulfur fuels, not just the Midwest … In your spare time, look up Blueplanet fuel (sold in the upper Midwest) in case you were interested in HQ low sulfur and benzene fuels for our automobiles. It is just a bit too far of a drive (~ 250 miles) for me to fill up there is all Then again, I could always fill up with BP Ultimate as it is a LS fuel in my locale but at a $0.20 premium, I pass. 2006 is almost here

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-24-2004, 09:54 AM

Personally I don’t believe the tax credit is constitutional… period.

If I should get a $ ~1,000 break on my taxes because I bought a hybrid car, the government isn’t going to just write off the loss, but impose a higher tax to other vehicles.
I don’t think other people should be forced to pay for part of my more expensive vehicle.

I understand the incentive for cleaner air….but I don’t think anyone buys these cars for the tax write off. I’ve heard it described as “icing on the cake” but my neighbor pays for my sugar.

Ok I’ll get off my Libertarian soap box already!

Quick Reply: Escape Hybrid tax deduction in progress

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands