Escape Selling Above MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Banned

If I was a dealer, I'd do the same.

"I lost $5,000 on those stupid Insights that no one was buying & cluttering my lot.....that I had to mark down to $12,000 just to get rid of them. Now it's time to recover the cost by charging an extra $5000 on the Ford Hybrid."

I can just picture myself saying that if I were a dealer.

Troy

Old 12-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Enthusiast

[FONT=Impact] I just bought my Ford Escape Hybrid!!! I got it for MSRP at Dublin Ford! We plan to go to the snow this coming weekend for New Years! I plan to send my milage in after! Open to sugestions for better gas milage!
been waiting long enough!!!

Old 12-28-2004, 01:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Redmak:

___I want you to get mad enough to take that Escape HEV to a place very few have tread … Take a look at this 2003 Ranger XLT P/U that is rated at 24/29 city/highway.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage...ils.php?cid=380

___This Ranger XLT cost just $9,600 brand new and has a similar Cd, ramp breakover angles, ground clearance, and angles of approach and departure as the Escape HEV. You do have a slightly greater frontal area to run through the air so watch your speeds accordingly … Remember that this lowly P/U truck has achieved darn great FE when pushed to its limits and so can your Escape HEV when taken to its. What I want you to do is to place that Ford P/U in your sights and take the shot! It is about time someone with an Escape HEV matches her.

___A few tips … I ran the Continental’s on that Ranger up to 50 #’s although with a 40 degree drop in temps and the fact that I haven’t checked them in over 2 months, it is more like 42 - 44 #’s now. I would take yours up to Max sidewall or higher. A Mobil1 0W-20 Synthetic change wouldn’t hurt right now either. There is really no reason to wait. Next, fight for every ounce of fuel your brand new truck can possibly consume. That means learning the 4 types of drafts available, driving w/ load, various coasting and traffic light/traffic congestion timing techniques, following the speed limits when applicable, learn where and how to park, when and where to accelerate and decelerate, as well as any other techniques you can create on the fly. In other words, there are no excuses! Ford has given you the tool so it is up to you to learn how to use it.

___Sorry for coming on a bit strong but just yesterday I read of a brand new Accord Hybrid pilot over at Edmunds who is receiving just 21 mpg There are quite a few Escape HEV’ers running sub 30’s right now which does not do your Escape justice imho. During the Escape HEV’s development, a Ford test driver received > 60 mpg from one. I am sure he was doing ~ 30 - 33 mph and it was in perfect temps with no A/C but it just goes to show you what your automobile is actually worth when driven to the edges of its FE envelope …

___Good Luck and congrats on your purchase of one of the premier hybrid’s of our time. I hope it gives you many miles of smiles indeed

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 12-28-2004, 06:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by redmak@Dec 28th 2004 @ 2:00 AM
[FONT=Impact] I just bought my Ford Escape Hybrid!!! I got it for MSRP at Dublin Ford! We plan to go to the snow this coming weekend for New Years! I plan to send my milage in after! Open to sugestions for better gas milage!
been waiting long enough!!!
Congrats on the purchase and good luck! I'm in Tahoe right now, waiting for a huge storm that's supposed to hit Thursday. You should see lots of snow this weekend, so drive carefully and have fun.

Old 12-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Contributor ($)

Congrats on the purchase Redmak,
It'll be interesting to hear you snow mileage. Take a general note of the temperature for comparison. The cold weather will probably mean you'll remain below EPA estimates, but that's ok for now. Wayne does set an aggressive target for you, though, if you are up to the challenge.

Old 12-29-2004, 06:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally posted by redmak@Dec 28th 2004 @ 2:00 AM
[FONT=Impact] Open to sugestions for better gas milage!
Oh, one other thing, redmak... I wouldn't pay too much attention to tryinig to maximize your mileage right away. Start driving it normally and get to know it for the first few weeks. The intense mileage tips may be too distracting for a driver already distracted by new equipment. It's interesting to watch the mileage and charging indicators, but watch the road and other drivers first!

Old 12-29-2004, 08:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Several months ago I straight out asked Ford Marketing what the sales price guidelines were for dealers. I was told there are none and Ford is letting the market set itself over time. Right or wrong the MSRPs+ will either stick or increase in a direct inverse relationship to the supply of vehciles.

Mike

Old 12-30-2004, 08:41 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Mike is right on. Ford could not and should not tell dealers what to sell vehicles for. They have in the past, told them not to sell to brokers or over auction sites, since that tends to muddy up another dealers market.

One shot dealers (that don't care of they ever see you again) will likely upcharge over MSRP, tack on prep and document fees, force fabric and paint protection deals, arrange financing that is beneficial to them, etc. Smart dealers will be fair and attempt to make you a customer for life.

Often the customer sets the tone of the deal. If it's clear that the customer only wants a low price and won't be back, there is little incentive to try to make them a "loyal" customer with their deal. I always approach the sales management with "I'm looking for a long term sales and service relationship, and I hope we can create a win-win deal that makes us both happy."

Old 01-09-2005, 06:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Escape Selling Above MSRP

There is a fully loaded AWD Escape Hybrid (every available option) in titanium green now on the showroom floor at North Bay Ford in Santa Cruz. The dealer has added a $1995 mark-up above the $32,400 MSRP. This was the truck I ordered. It was delayed in production through no fault of the dealership and I ended up getting an identical vehicle at another dealer months earlier. My original agreement with North Bay was no mark-up, straight MSRP. The truck has been on the floor a couple of weeks now and a salesperson says the mark-up is "firm," but you never know. Anyway, at least it's there to look at if anyone in the San Francisco or California central coast area is interested. All FYI. I have no connection with these guys.

Old 02-08-2005, 06:30 AM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default No Price Protection on Escape Hybrids

Just found out that the Brand Team for the Escapes did not provide price protection for Escape Hybrids ordered last fall. The price increase (About $400, early January) will hit your unit when it is invoiced.

While I was waiting on this information, I found that the sales manager was under valuing my trade so I decided to pass on the Hybrid. It ain't a deal, until it's a deal.

Can't say I blame them, someone will give them a bigger gross on the unit, so no hard feelings.

Quick Reply: Escape Selling Above MSRP

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands