Escape turns on, goes into ev mode and will not go when gas is pressed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast
Default Escape turns on, goes into ev mode and will not go when gas is pressed.

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid. Drove fine to restaurant. When I left, I turned the car on, after a second or to it goes into ev mode and the red triangle came on and screen says stop safely now. So I try to drive it a couple blocks up to my dealership and the gas pedal pressed all the way down barely moves the car. Wont go past 20 mph which im guessing because its in ev mode. After about 2 blocks the gas doesn't do anything and I coast into a parking lot.

Looking for any ideas what it might be.

Weird thing is if I start the car and immediately put it into drive, the gas engine starts up and I can drive it fine until I have to break and then it goes into ev mode again and then doesn't come back out.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Escape turns on, goes into ev mode and will not go when gas is pressed.

The only time something like this happened to me was when I ran out out of gas. Could be a fuel supply issue.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Escape turns on, goes into ev mode and will not go when gas is pressed.

I have a 2010 Ford Escape with 92,000 Miles on it, and I’m also having trouble with it dropping out of gas mode to EV while driving at higher speeds, and when it does the wrench light on the dash turns on. Happened last fall 3x - turning car off and back on cleared it. No problem all winter, even driving on 16 hour trip in spring. It’s started happening again - driving on highway for 130 miles happened 7x, temporarily clearing when turning car off for 1-5 minutes and starting back up. Finally turned around to go home and it worked with no problem for the 130 return trip?! 2 day’s later dropped out of gas to EV around town when going ~45 mph. Dealer checked battery compartment air filter and said okay. Only other thing to get fixed is O2 sensor that triggers engine light in hotter weather (light was off all winter). Any ideas on why the unwanted shitft to EV is happening at high speeds, or how to trouble shoot??

Last edited by BettyB; 05-16-2018 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 05-16-2018, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast

Make sure your MECS pump is functioning. This is an electric coolant pump located under the radiator near the petrol engine oil filter. the coolant reservoir is the rear one of the two and if it is working you should see some coolant circulation in the reservoir with the cap removed. If this pump is failing your car will go into limp to the side of the road mode with the Stop Safely Now message and the red triangle. The petrol engine will not engage in this mode. Sometimes you can hit the pump with a hammer and it will start for a while and get you home but should be changed out if that is the problem.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check this out. However, I've never seen the red triangle turn on - just the yellow wrench (when I drop into EV mode while going gas-mode speed) and the check engine line (about the O2 sensor).

Old 05-18-2018, 09:40 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Like a lot of FEH issues, it's hard to really know what's going on without plugging it in to a Ford scanner.
A trained tech could check the tune/fuel trim of the gas engine and also make sure all of the emissions controls and drivetrain electronics are good.